Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

IOS update

Sparkster

Join
Oct 14, 2017
Ok ok ok I've been holding out hoping, wishing and longing for an android update that would allow me to fly my Spark with no issues with my otg cable. Eeesh! Alright alright I've defaulted to flying my Spark with my iPad Air and I have to say that I'm impressed! Not one issue with the OTG cable and connection was flawless! To be honest not fair to those of us who don't have a default to go to but only the android platform. I would like to see that change. I have heard the rumors about Apple buying DJI but seriously there are companies that have apps for both and both platforms are well supported.[emoji6]

Ok ok ok I've been holding out hoping, wishing and longing for an android update that would allow me to fly my Spark with no issues with my otg cable. Eeesh! Alright alright I've defaulted to flying my Spark with my iPad Air and I have to say that I'm impressed! Not one issue with the OTG cable and connection was flawless! To be honest not fair to those of us who don't have a default to go to but only the android platform. I would like to see that change. I have heard the rumors about Apple buying DJI but seriously there are companies that have apps for both and both platforms are well supported.[emoji6]

I got an ipad mini 4 over Christmas specifically for the Spark. What's the connection order for that? Spark on, RC on, plug OTG to Ipad, plug OTG to RC, DJI Go4, enter device?

I've been using WiFI only with the Ipad and it's OK, but not as good as the OTG I used with my Android phone.

Reactions: Sparkster
I got an ipad mini 4 over Christmas specifically for the Spark. What's the connection order for that? Spark on, RC on, plug OTG to Ipad, plug OTG to RC, DJI Go4, enter device?

I've been using WiFI only with the Ipad and it's OK, but not as good as the OTG I used with my Android phone.
Rc on - always Rc on first.
Spark on
Open app
Connect cable

I think I did device first, and then RC.

It's been awhile since I used it.

I’m using iOS and I have to do it in this order;
RC on, AC on, let rc connect to ac (green light on rc), boot up the app, then plug cable to iPad first then plug it into RC. That’s the only way my app will show “connected”. If I plug the otg in the RC first then the iPad it won’t connect

I’m using iOS and I have to do it in this order;
RC on, AC on, let rc connect to ac (green light on rc), boot up the app, then plug cable to iPad first then plug it into RC. That’s the only way my app will show “connected”. If I plug the otg in the RC first then the iPad it won’t connect
Thanks landondale704. That's how I took up the OTG to my iPad too. To be honest I'm nervous about flying my Spark without the use of the OTG.

Thanks landondale704. That's how I took up the OTG to my iPad too. To be honest I'm nervous about flying my Spark without the use of the OTG.

I’ve never used an otg cable, and it’s been perfect every time.

Like Lastrexking said, I’ve had mine since Christmas and I’ve yet to fly mine with otg. I’ve always connected to the RC via WiFi and I haven’t had any issues except range. Video has always been good. I’ve only tested the OTG in my kitchen.

I was using an Android device (GS8) with OTG but picked up the Ipad when the Android/OTG issues started up and nobody seemed to know if they'd get it fixed or not. I've had issues with the video feed since I went with the Ipad/Wifi but have seen increased range. I haven't flown in a week or 2 because of the weather around here but I did not disable bluetooth on the Ipad when I last had it up. Does everybody do that and could that be the source of the video problem? If it turns out to be as simple as disabling BT then I'll skip the cable and go with it as is. Tomorrow is supposed to be a better weather day so I'll give it a try and see what happens.

I don't know if this helps, but when I forgot to turn off my Bluetooth I got a message that popped up saying I had interference and I need to turn off Bluetooth.

Reactions: Spark 317
I don't know if this helps, but when I forgot to turn off my Bluetooth I got a message that popped up saying I had interference and I need to turn off Bluetooth.
I highly recommend putting your phone or tablet in airplane mode, then going into settings and turning the WiFi on.
That way, no Bluetooth, and no inconvenient telephone calls mid flight.

Reactions: BlancoRob
If you put it into airplane mode will the gps and all that jazz still work. I would think once in airplane mode nothing would work other than WiFi. So that would mean no live compass or gps. I’m just a nob so enlighten me please.

If you put it into airplane mode will the gps and all that jazz still work. I would think once in airplane mode nothing would work other than WiFi. So that would mean no live compass or gps. I’m just a nob so enlighten me please.

Eh? The compass and gps are on the Spark, not from your phone.

I always fire up spark first then app near same time as rc controller, then connect to wifi in rc after green light, then open go4 app

I’ve been flying rc gear for a long time and I always turn on the controller first. It’s one of the first things any rc pilot learns.

If your Spark takes off of its own accord you’ve got a better chance of getting it back if the rc is turned on.

If it isn’t on, well - kiss goodbye to it.

Reactions: Yowza
I’ve been flying rc gear for a long time and I always turn on the controller first. It’s one of the first things any rc pilot learns.

If your Spark takes off of its own accord you’ve got a better chance of getting it back if the rc is turned on.

If it isn’t on, well - kiss goodbye to it.
True, its curious how the spark boots up fine without controller, keep in mind of the folks that fly it app only based pilots

I’ve never used an otg cable, and it’s been perfect every time.
Not wanting to start a big arguement about this, but when you say 'perfect' are you aware of just how much lag using WiFi only causes ? It's something that could be critical in certain situations. Having good/decent quality video is essential, but not knowing how close you actually are to something at any given time is another.

Not wanting to start a big arguement about this, but when you say 'perfect' are you aware of just how much lag using WiFi only causes ? It's something that could be critical in certain situations. Having good/decent quality video is essential, but not knowing how close you actually are to something at any given time is another.
There is no lag. I stay in vlos so I would know if there was.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis