Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Idiots ruining it for the rest of us

Lastrexking

Join
Jun 2, 2017
Loc
Yorkshire
It's very windy here in the UK. Gust of up to 50-80 mph. Trees down, debris everywhere. it's all over the news, but just step outside and it's very obvious.

So, imagine my amazement just now whilst walking the dogs I see two adult men try and fly a Phantom right next to a major motorway. I watched from a nearby bridge as they Phantom took off. Six feet from the ground you could see it struggle, but they continued to lift it. At about twenty feet, the wind took it straight across the motorway where it flew into the side of a heavy goods vehicle, which dragged it into its wake. At this point it went down hard, and smashed into the hard shoulder (rescue lane for our US friends). Thankfully the HGV driver didn't even realise and continued on it's way. The idiots jumped over the fence and grabbed what's left of their drone and took off.

This could have been so much worse. So, so much. I reported it to the Police, but there's not much for them to investigate.

Hope they lost every penny.
Q. How do these people get through life. ?
Ans: At our expense.

Absolutely. If this had gone the other way then it’s just more ammunition to use against the hobby.

There was no way that Phantom will ever fly again. I don’t think they even collected all of the debris.

Well I guess it's a very expensive learning curve. Or not as the case maybe. There will always be idiots, it's a by product of evolution unfortunately.

And there is the problem with the cheap price of a P2... anyone can buy and try to get it airborne.. it isn't small or light weight either so can do some major damage. Just be thankful it is destroyed without major incident and that they can't fly it again.....
.we can't fix stupid.

I think this comes with the growing attitude of arrogance in England that many people seem to have. And yes I live in England.
There's a growing number of people who think the rules don't apply to them and they can pretty much do what they want, when they want with no consequences. Go into any large town on a Saturday night and you'll see what I mean.
I don't think any education or advice will help these numb nuts to do the right thing Regarding flying quads. They just need catching and slapping with a big fine or if they have endangered lives a custodial sentence because that's the only way of stopping them.
Bit deep I know but you did ask.

Reactions: Timdg
Having dealt with "numb nuts" like these for 30 years as a police officer I know exactly what you mean and agree with you entirely.

Unfortunately, I'm sad to say, as result elements of Human Rights legislation :mad:, a weak benefits system which many take massive advantage of over the needs of genuine folk :mad:, weak politicians :eek:, The Police and Criminal Evidence Act :mad:, and pathetically weak, lacking in knowledge, avoid confrontation at all costs police officers and their self-serving bosses :eek:, these "numb nuts" aren't really that 'numb'. They have the skills to play the system with the full knowledge that they are very unlikely to be caught and, if they are, probably cautioned (and get multiple cautions thereafter) or receive a ridiculous punishment which would not deter them or anyone else :confused:.

So is it them who are "numb nuts" or us, the silent vast majority who have allowed our representatives to implement matters which lead to this current situation? o_O

Having just bought a Spark I have now found out that my local council recently held a “consultation” on anti-social behaviour and things they are intending to ban as a result. Amongst the list are the use of psychoactive substances, groups of youths loitering on council estates at night and.... flying drones! It’s behaviour such as that you describe that is going to result in UAV use being pretty much impossible anywhere.

Having just bought a Spark I have now found out that my local council recently held a “consultation” on anti-social behaviour and things they are intending to ban as a result. Amongst the list are the use of psychoactive substances, groups of youths loitering on council estates at night and.... flying drones! It’s behaviour such as that you describe that is going to result in UAV use being pretty much impossible anywhere.
Hi, don't give up hope mate. There are many more places to fly. Go and do some door knocking on farmers. They have thousands is acres. I fly over farmers land with there permission. I have even saved the lives of some of their sheep when I was flying over a ravine well away from any animals when I spotted some sheep stuck in there and injured. I informed the farmer who was very greatful for letting him know. These sheep would of died. They could only be spotted from the air.

Reactions: Texas Gonzo
I think this comes with the growing attitude of arrogance in England that many people seem to have. And yes I live in England.
There's a growing number of people who think the rules don't apply to them and they can pretty much do what they want, when they want with no consequences. Go into any large town on a Saturday night and you'll see what I mean.
I don't think any education or advice will help these numb nuts to do the right thing Regarding flying quads. They just need catching and slapping with a big fine or if they have endangered lives a custodial sentence because that's the only way of stopping them.
Bit deep I know but you did ask.
Every country has their imbeciles.
Probably be on the forum slagging off DJI for a fly away.
How these people sit on the toilet the right way round amazes me.

I agree that‘s been idiots.
However, what‘s ruining the hobby may be that rules emerge faster than drones sell. B/c if a majority owns a drone (like they own a camera today), you can‘t overregulate its use anymore. When still new, people heavily opposed against being photographed, some still do today ...

I see technical solutions being employed. A drone shouldn‘t fly in heavy wind and close to a motorway (e.g. rule in Germany says to stay 100m away). Xceptions should require a knowledge test. I see drones flying across US highways on youtube all the time. Still, if they fall into a fast driving car wind shield ...

sounds like someone got to play in a surprise bonus round of Karma!

Though it's very annoying to deal with a nonstop barrage of high wind warning popups when I take my Spark up a few hundred feet on even a moderately windy day. Yes yes yes I know I know quit telling me it's windy over and over again!

I don't support kneejerk addition of technical limits. You can't fix stupid, Stupid has to fix itself. Just look at them and consider, "Somewhere, a village is missing its idiot."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh