Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Help me justify getting my spark over mavic

Beaker

Join
Jan 10, 2018
Received my spark yesterday, havent been able to fly it yet due to bad weather.
It cost me £630 for flymore then I bought an extra battery and micro SD card. The total is £700
I have just seen that you can get a mavic
For £800 with remote and an SD card

I haven't even flown my spark yet and there's nothing I can do but maybe you could persuade me that I haven't ripped myself off some how haha.

I've already opened my spark and turned it on and hovered so I can't return it.
I'll be using it for travelling.

I suppose you might need to buy more kit for the mavic taking it closer to 900

Probably should have posted this prior to buying the Spark and 99.9% would have said "get the Mavic"

Reactions: MJK and Sparkbart
Feel slightly sick. That's what you get for rushing Into expensive purchases. I thought the mavic was over 1k. I didn't look hard enough.

Feel slightly sick. That's what you get for rushing Into expensive purchases. I thought the mavic was over 1k. I didn't look hard enough.

Don't feel bad. You said you wanted to travel with your drone and the Spark is the most portable. I can literally launch from anywhere with the Spark. There are always going to be tempting deals so maybe at another time you can add to your collection and get a Mavic. I had the option to buy a Mavic Platinum or 2 Spark Flymore, but it is hard to share with my wife as we always want to fly at the same time so we got 2 Sparks and we are both happy. At some point we will buy another drone this year and if DJI releases any new drones this year, they will lower prices. For personal flying the Spark is great so enjoy it.

Reactions: Beaker
Two months ago i purchased the Mavic Pro Platinum. Flew it every day and my poor P3P was left on the shelf.

A few weeks ago I also purchased the Spark and now I am flying that every day and the MPP is keeping my P3P company on the shelf.

The spark is so portable that you can take it with you anywhere and is a pleasure to fly.

Looks like the OP is overseas, thus he might be suffering from limited range

I suppose the company that's selling g it for 800 doesn't have the best reputation. They are usually 1000. This is my first drone so I can always sell it later and buy a mavic if I still feel the need to.

I had the same dilemma. If you went for a Mavic you would probably want the platinum? In which case it’s £1400 for flymore... so I went spark to see how much use it gets, can always upgrade in 12 months.

I’m happy, only issue is the range of the Spark in the UK. Although managed 120m high and 145m distance so far.

PS. Don’t worry too much, it’s not the end of the world and in a few months you will wonder why you stressed over it :)

I had the same dilemma. If you went for a Mavic you would probably want the platinum? In which case it’s £1400 for flymore... so I went spark to see how much use it gets, can always upgrade in 12 months.

I’m happy, only issue is the range of the Spark in the UK. Although managed 120m high and 145m distance so far.

PS. Don’t worry too much, it’s not the end of the world and in a few months you will wonder why you stressed over it :)

You're right. Its a good little drone. Ive only flown it once because of the weather but I'm really impressed with it. I was surrounded by houses and WiFi signals and still took it quite high. The only reason I stopped is because I shat myself with the wind being strong. I got myself into a flap and read other peoples negative comments on the Web before making my own mind up. Its going to be a valuable tool when i go travelling. Its a good entry drone i woukd definitly say.

For me it was a $400 difference between a fly more Spark vs Mavic. Costco has the Mavic for $1K includes controller, prop guards and case. I only do recreational flights and a hobbyist so the Spark was my choice. The Spark is small which I didn't want people to gawk at when using it compared to a larger drone. Video and pictures came out surprisingly well and amazed that it stayed stable in flight in light winds. Plus if you use the Mavic in other countries they might consider it a professional drone which has stricter rules.

Like Kanehi, It was a difference of $400 from Spark to Mavic. After owning for 3 weeks, the only real dislike I have with the Spark is the battery life. I have 4 batteries for a total run time of ~48 mins. When I could have had 3 Mavic batteries and get over 60 minutes.

Is that difference worth $400?

Well it may or may not depending on the use. 12-15 minute fly time for me is to fine. Unless you want to take extended video or picture using a longer battery is better such as the Mavic. For me I just take a quick video and image of a scene and I'm done. I like to fly for fun but when I feel like I need to upgrade then a Mavic would be my next choice. I have four batteries for the Spark. I still get nervous when I can't see the Spark when flying. Losing a Spark is less painful than losing the more expensive Mavic

I had mavic once. It crashed. Gimbal vibration plate broken. In srilanka we don't have any dji stores or dji repair shops. I have to fixed it on my own.

I ordered it through ebay. 28 days wait till the item come. When i try to replace it i saw gimble cable (ribbon) is also broken. Then i order it and wait 25 days.. somehow after 2 months I could repaired my mavic.. and within next two weeks again crashed.. front arm broken. So again 20+ days..

Then i sold the mavic and brought a spark...

Few crashes happens but spaky is still in one piece..

Reactions: Kanehi
If I only owned one drone, it'd be a Mavic Pro. It does a bit of everything. The Spark is a nice compliment to my other drones. Thing is to figure out what you want out of your drone. Since I have several drones that do things better than the Mavic, my Mavic sits alot. I've often thought about selling it...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh