Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

GPS error preventing RC Home Point

Andre Levite

WELL-TRUSTED MEMBER
Premium Pilot
Join
Jun 18, 2018
Loc
Treasure Coast of Florida
Web
how-to-spark.com
31FD467C-513E-41A1-90F3-656A5C5D34B8.jpeg
Every time I try to use RC location for Home Point (rather than drone takeoff location) I get the above error message: Mobile Device GPS Signal is Too Weak.

The RC has no GPS antenna so it is referring the the phone as the problem. But my phone's GPS works fine for maps and all other navigation apps.

I am using iPhone X. All devices have updated software and firmware. NOT in Airplane Mode. Cell service ON. Bluetooth and wifi OFF (using OTG cable).

I tend to think it's a software bug in update because it worked fine in past with same setup.

Any better ideas?

I sometimes cant get a home point for a long time.. Then i just got that latest firmware update and now works fine. I wish i could help i know the update was not for ios just android phones.. Good luck my friend

do you get home point lock . if not go into the app and set home point from take off or controller .

That's precisely what is not working. When I try to manually set Home Point to the RC location in the Settings I get that error message about "weak GPS".

That's precisely what is not working. When I try to manually set Home Point to the RC location in the Settings I get that error message about "weak GPS".
OK went back and read the manual , on page 49 under flight test , take off / landing procedures #4. " wait until aircraft indicators start blinking green " this means home point is recorded and is now safe to take off.
i also found out set the Spark down wait for as many sat's you can get then move to a different location ( just feet away ) and it will say new home point recorded .

Hi guys can some one tell me the sequence of connecting Spark RC with OTG
Any sequence or order is fine. (With Android+ samsung S5) You can even switch on everything with OTG already plugged in.
IOS i dont know

Hi guys can some one tell me the sequence of connecting Spark RC with OTG
i turn on my Spark first , let it sit there about 20 seconds .then put the OTG cable in my phone that's all ready turned on and in airplane mode , then i turn the RC on and wait for the green light to come on , then go to the DLI GO 4 app and it had the ready to go in green . then fly

Any sequence or order is fine. (With Android+ samsung S5) You can even switch on everything with OTG already plugged in.
IOS i dont know

Since the latest firmware update, on iOS you can do things in any order, the sequence is no longer required. You will still get the "unsupported" warning from iOS about the accessory, just clear that.

iOS required that I do it in this exact order which has worked every time. Some are saying that last months firmware update is now more flexible (but that's could be temporary).

Power on RC
Power on Spark
Open DJI app
OTG into iPhone
OTG into RC
Dismiss "unsupported accessory" error message

FLY

OK went back and read the manual , on page 49 under flight test , take off / landing procedures #4. " wait until aircraft indicators start blinking green " this means home point is recorded and is now safe to take off.
i also found out set the Spark down wait for as many sat's you can get then move to a different location ( just feet away ) and it will say new home point recorded .

I think you misunderstood the problem:

The error message is preventing the RC/iPhone location from being set as the selected GPS Home Point. This would allow the Home Point to change dynamically as you move around (walking, boating, biking). And RTH the drone will land at your new location. There are two options in Settings for just this situation - but only one is working.

The procedure you described sets the Home Point to the take off location for the drone. That uses the Spark's GPS data and is fixed at power on. So if you've boated a mile away from your start point the drone will go AWAY from you at RTH - not cool when over water!

I seem to have the same issue. Setting home to RC / iPhone X location gives me the same error.

I think you misunderstood the problem:

The error message is preventing the RC/iPhone location from being set as the selected GPS Home Point. This would allow the Home Point to change dynamically as you move around (walking, boating, biking). And RTH the drone will land at your new location. There are two options in Settings for just this situation - but only one is working.

The procedure you described sets the Home Point to the take off location for the drone. That uses the Spark's GPS data and is fixed at power on. So if you've boated a mile away from your start point the drone will go AWAY from you at RTH - not cool when over water!

i'm new to DJI technology and how works in the spark . i understand your question , is there any way to reload the last update again . you said that the RC dose not have a GPS antenna but but in the DJI 4 go app you can choose what home point you want to use and you can fly the Spark with just the controller by it self and it has RTH . i understand you can't fly far in that mode . i would think that the DJI RC and Spark would have GPS . i know both my RC and Yuneec Q 500 4K have it , i can see it on the screen when i get GPS lock on the the RC and the Q 500 . now like i said i'm new to how DJI and the Spark work .

Because the DJI Go app can only be used on a smart phone some of the Spark's advanced Settings are not available when using the RC by itself. While some smaller drones do have GPS in the remote control the Spark RC does not (confirmed on DJI spec page here Spark – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

Using the DJI Go app with the phone/RC combo allows two choices for the Home Point: a) the fixed power on location of Spark OR b) the dynamic position of phone/RC unit. In the second option the Home Point is actually set using the GPS antenna of the phone.

When using the RC alone the RTH point is always the power on location of the Spark because there's no app and no phone to provide alternate GPS data.

Using the Spark with only RC or only the phone is very limited compared to all 3 used in concert.

Because the DJI Go app can only be used on a smart phone some of the Spark's advanced Settings are not available when using the RC by itself. While some smaller drones do have GPS in the remote control the Spark RC does not (confirmed on DJI spec page here Spark – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

Using the DJI Go app with the phone/RC combo allows two choices for the Home Point: a) the fixed power on location of Spark OR b) the dynamic position of phone/RC unit. In the second option the Home Point is actually set using the GPS antenna of the phone.

When using the RC alone the RTH point is always the power on location of the Spark because there's no app and no phone to provide alternate GPS data.

Using the Spark with only RC or only the phone is very limited compared to all 3 used in concert.
thank you . i am learning post by post .

View attachment 6123
Every time I try to use RC location for Home Point (rather than drone takeoff location) I get the above error message: Mobile Device GPS Signal is Too Weak.

The RC has no GPS antenna so it is referring the the phone as the problem. But my phone's GPS works fine for maps and all other navigation apps.

I am using iPhone X. All devices have updated software and firmware. NOT in Airplane Mode. Cell service ON. Bluetooth and wifi OFF (using OTG cable).

I tend to think it's a software bug in update because it worked fine in past with same setup.

Any better ideas?

I have same problem. Only fix i found was to open Google Maps and keep it running while Dji go4 is running. To update controller gps location, while flying, switch to Google Maps, allow it to update your new location, then switch back to go4 app and hit the update controller current position button. It will work then. Its a hassle and I've tried to get it to work with both iphone 6 and iphone 8 plus. Dynamic position doesn't work for me either which sucks when im doing active track. Only way to get outside of tue 100m fence is to follow those steps every time. If you figure out a permanent solution, let me know. It's a bug in the dji app and I've already complained to dji

Also it's a accuracy issue within dji go4. They only allow a margin of inaccurate of 10ft. If you download a gps accuracy app, both devices have never gotten better than 15ft accuracy. So the dji go 4 thinks that's not accurate enough. All dji has to do in next firmware update is to change ios operating systems to allow a inaccuracy of 16ft and it will solve everyone's problems. Although I know my phone is about 5ft accurate, it's just reporting to the app that it's 16 or 5m. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Andre Levite
Spark gps accuracy is good enough for me when precision landing is spot on. GPS takes it to general location and VPS to find landing target.

Some things to consider:

When putting our phones in "airplane mode", check your GPS settings to make sure you don't have it set to use network and wifi signals as well. My phone (LG V20) has a setting to use GPS only.

I use an app called GPS Status (Free/$1.99 Pro) on my phone. It shows me the GPS signals as my phone sees them and keeps me connected.
- Use it to calibrate the compass on your phone - sometimes takes more than once. I found that the compass on both my Pixel XL and V20 were both off significantly.

On my Spark, I have found that if I launch it from the ground, particularly from concrete, I have trouble acquiring a GPS signal....possibly from interference from the rebar rods in the concrete?? Launching from a table of 5 gallon bucket seems to make a little difference.

Be patient... it sometimes takes my Spark 3-4 minutes of sitting there idling before it picks up a good signal and I can launch. Its worth the wait, as I don't want to lose my Spark due to a flyaway.

David

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502