Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying Spark out of site

I have always done long distance flying with DJI drones for the past couple years as I live not too far from places that facilitate long distance flying.. So far I have had my Spark out over a mile away at 7000 ft. using parabolic signal reflectors. I have had the inspire out about 2 miles away at 11,000 ft, and the Phantom 4 out 4 miles or 22,000 ft. away. The Spark did great but needs to be in Sportmode, otherwise its just too slow for long trips..That's where the Inspire comes into its own, I've had it come back to me at 65 mph with a tailwind, good fun. I fly far but safe, always LOS and usually not over 250 ft up
I’m confused. How do you have VLOS at two miles?

Reactions: MannyCAM2001
I’m confused. How do you have VLOS at two miles?

I don’t always have VLOS. Sometimes the drone is too far away to actually see with my own eyes, but its always out in front of me with direct line of sight. Where I fly longer distances is mostly over water or valleys with few people or buildings or WiFi signals, I see what the drone sees, and the GPS and RTH works well so I have confidence flying long distances

I don’t always have VLOS. Sometimes the drone is too far away to actually see with my own eyes, but its always out in front of me with direct line of sight. Where I fly longer distances is mostly over water or valleys with few people or buildings or WiFi signals, I see what the drone sees, and the GPS and RTH works well so I have confidence flying long distances
You're kind of missing the point and requirement of VLOS. What you have described is NOT VLOS.
From the FAA:
5.7.1 Unaided Vision. VLOS must be accomplished and maintained by unaided vision, except vision that is corrected by the use of eyeglasses (spectacles) or contact lenses. Vision aids, such as binoculars, may be used only momentarily to enhance situational awareness.For example, the remote PIC, person manipulating the controls, or VO may use vision aids to avoid flying over persons or conflicting with other aircraft. Similarly, first person view devices may be used during operations, but do not satisfy the VLOS requirement.

It doesn't matter whether your over water, in valleys, or (you think) no people around. If you can't see it with unaided eyesight, you're not VLOS

If EERYBODY would allways stick to the rules, that would be a wonderfull world.
But that was NEVER the case and it probably never will be (unfurtunatelly).
So gain some knowledge what and how your Spark works and use common sense.

Everyone is talking about VLOS and the rules, how does that work with DJI Goggles? I lose track of it when moving around I try to go on if I can hear it I am ok, I do not fly in noisy areas.

Everyone is talking about VLOS and the rules, how does that work with DJI Goggles? I lose track of it when moving around I try to go on if I can hear it I am ok, I do not fly in noisy areas.

You're supposed to have a spotter communicating with you when flying with the goggles .

Reactions: Hddeuce03
No one fly"s VLOS! If you look at the screen for even one second to frame a shot, check the battery level,ect. you are breaking the VLOS rule! You can be 1 mile away, or ten feet away, but once you shift your vision from the drone, to the screen, your in violation of the VLOS rule! "5.7.1 Unaided Vision. VLOS must be accomplished and maintained by unaided vision" The key word is "maintained"! The only way I can see a person maintaining VLOS,is by flying the Spark in Gesture Mode! No controller/phone,or tablet. Nothing to distract you, but your hands and the drone. Face it! There's no way you can be in compliance with the VLOS rule, if you use your drone as it was intended to be used!

Last edited:
You don’t think that argument has come up in making up these rules and regulations? Or it’s just you that has that insight?
These rules are there to keep the sport safe. They are all very much aware of what goes on with drones, and the people who fly them.
It’s like, no one does the speed limit all the time.
Give us break with this VLOS argument.
There are jerks who practice bad habits out there. Just like there are very safety minded responsible drone operators out there.
The authorities will know the difference, when a bad irresponsible person gets busted opposed to one who made an innocent mistake.
The point is not flying this “selfie drone” farther than what you should. And that is controlled by the battery and the wifi connection. All predesigned, no coincidence. Hours and hours brainstorming these machines. All while trying to realize every possible scenario. Which is also impossible.
No disrespect intended,
But your argument is just as flawed as the VLOS rule itself.
Cheers.

Reactions: bmarlowe and ZPFunk
By the way, welcome to the forum.
Thanks,for the welcome!( I think?) LOL! :) We have had a local law officer, point this out to us about the VLOS Rule! (Now they are all experts, and most don't even know how to fly! LOL) We fly mostly in remote areas, at very low altitudes we don't have a problem with any of the local officials. He was just pointing out what was stated in the rules. So all in all,it falls back to the old trick of, if they look hard enough, they can find you violating some rule,90% of the time. PS. Drones are banned in our town from local parks, due to "selfie drones" flying around, and over people! I haven't even got my Spark yet (this coming Monday),but it will be used for shooting pictures/video in small tight places, where I don't want to fly my Mavic Pro,or Inspire1.

Last edited:
No one fly"s VLOS! If you look at the screen for even one second to frame a shot, check the battery level,ect. you are breaking the VLOS rule!

Per the FAA

An excerpt from the document...5.7, The paragraph before 5.7.1

VLOS may have brief moments in which he or she is not looking directly at or cannot see the small UA, but still retains the capability to see the UA or quickly maneuver it back to VLOS. These moments can be for the safety of the operation (e.g., looking at the controller to see battery life remaining) or for operational necessity. For operational necessity, the remote PIC or person manipulating the controls may intentionally maneuver the UA so that he or she loses sight of it for brief periods of time. Should the remote PIC or person manipulating the controls lose VLOS of the small UA, he or she must regain VLOS as soon as practicable.

FAA Yep, well aware of what’s happening with the drones and the rules.
It’s more of a”Maintain Control of your drone at all times” in particular the airspace around it.
While flying my Spark one day, a helicopter came out of nowhere. Literally, out of nowhere. Flying a lot lower than usual. Fortunately, I like flying in my comfort zone 1/2 mile or less, 1/2 mile being my limit. I knew exactly where my Spark was in relation to the chopper and quickly dropped her from 200 ft. to 100 ft. I was about 1500 ft. Away. I was able to quickly avoid an otherwise embarrassing situation. If I would have been a lot further out... well don’t like thinking about it.
My rule of thumb “Plan to fly, but fly the plan. And stay within your own comfort zone.

Cheers, guys
“Hey Don’t look at me, I’m making this stuff up as I go along.”

Reactions: Ron_Dog
FAA Yep, well aware of what’s happening with the drones and the rules.
It’s more of a”Maintain Control of your drone at all times” in particular the airspace around it.
While flying my Spark one day, a helicopter came out of nowhere. Literally, out of nowhere. Flying a lot lower than usual. Fortunately, I like flying in my comfort zone 1/2 mile or less, 1/2 mile being my limit. I knew exactly where my Spark was in relation to the chopper and quickly dropped her from 200 ft. to 100 ft. I was about 1500 ft. Away. I was able to quickly avoid an otherwise embarrassing situation. If I would have been a lot further out... well don’t like thinking about it.
My rule of thumb “Plan to fly, but fly the plan. And stay within your own comfort zone.

Cheers, guys
“Hey Don’t look at me, I’m making this stuff up as I go along.”
Yes,there is a lot of talk about Helicopters Flying low, (below 400 feet) and surprising drone pilots! We used to fly RC Planes at a local Airport ,along side of the runway. In 26 years there was never "one" incident of a RC Plane Hitting or coming close to hitting a Full Scale Plane! Now with all the "Hype" being generated by the media, drones are in the news all the time, but ONLY the BAD press! You never see a story where someone that was lost, was found using a drone! Also the new airline pilots ID chart dosen't help things either! drone-id-chart.jpg

The reason that the Spark 1080p video looks so great is that, along with a top quality sensor and lens, it has a very high bitrate for 1080p.

Means more detail and less artifacts in the compressed result.

I've never seen 1080p like the Spark produces, and neither has anyone else I've shown it to, most people ask if it's 4K on their 4K TVs.

DJI know where and how to make the difference.

All hail mighty Spark.

The image quality is so good because the Spark has a true 4K sensor that it uses. With the lack of OIS and only a 2 axis gimble, it will take the 4K image and render it down to a 1080P image for a stable video and incredible image quality.

The image quality is so good because the Spark has a true 4K sensor that it uses. With the lack of OIS and only a 2 axis gimble, it will take the 4K image and render it down to a 1080P image for a stable video and incredible image quality.
Parrish, is that true? Because I do agree with everyone here, it is the best 1080p I’ve seen in any video. I’ve seen plenty of comparison videos on YouTube and find it extremely difficult to see a remarkable or outstanding difference in the side by side comparisons.

“All Hail The Mighty Spark”. Lol

Parrish, is that true? Because I do agree with everyone here, it is the best 1080p I’ve seen in any video. I’ve seen plenty of comparison videos on YouTube and find it extremely difficult to see a remarkable or outstanding difference in the side by side comparisons.

“All Hail The Mighty Spark”. Lol

Yes, that is the truth about the camera for the Spark. I believe, but I am not 100% sure, the Spark uses the same sensor as the Mavics. The Mavics just have a 3 axis gimble and the processors are designed for 4K, where they have to make the best of what they can with the size of the Spark, which is why they use the 1080P version of a 4K image. Plus with it being the first generation Spark, they're not going to throw all the bells and whistles into it just yet. They have to give everyone a reason to buy the second generation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis