Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying Spark out of site

PhoNY-ID

Join
Feb 28, 2018
hi all

I’ve had my spark for about a week and love it so far. Just wish I had more time to mess with it. My question is how many of you make it a point to not fly beyond line of site? I’m not talking about high or far either. For example, where I live I can put my spark 30’ in the air and beyond 100’ or so I wouldn’t be able to see it due to trees and stuff. I’ve been super nervous to fly it more than this in fear of not being able to see it while in the air. How many of you disregsrd the line of site? Is it safe to say that if I did lose site of my Spark that I would just RTH and that would be totally acceptable behavior? I want to flex my wings a bit more but am nervous.

Thanks all
Richie

hi all

I’ve had my spark for about a week and love it so far. Just wish I had more time to mess with it. My question is how many of you make it a point to not fly beyond line of site? I’m not talking about high or far either. For example, where I live I can put my spark 30’ in the air and beyond 100’ or so I wouldn’t be able to see it due to trees and stuff. I’ve been super nervous to fly it more than this in fear of not being able to see it while in the air. How many of you disregsrd the line of site? Is it safe to say that if I did lose site of my Spark that I would just RTH and that would be totally acceptable behavior? I want to flex my wings a bit more but am nervous.

Thanks all
Richie

As much as you may be tempted, just don't do it. If you are a hobbyist, it's irresponsible. If you are flying under Part 107, it's illegal...in the US, that is.

Reactions: PhoNY-ID
In your case flying higher would have resolved your line of site, since trees were the problem.
The wifi signal starts getting lost at roughly 1/2 mile, so my flights are normally kept within that airspace. In fact my settings reflect my desires in keeping that distance as my RTH.
My preferred altitude ceiling is 200 ft.
In the city of Tampa, an area where authorization is needed the legal height drops to 200 ft. It gradually grows as you move further out to 300 then 400 ft which is well out of any flyzone.
200 or so is plenty for me.

Line of sight, I always follow this rule. I flight my Spark to where I can always look up to see it and that depends a lot on the background. It is the worst feeling if I don't see, so I follow this rule for my sanity too.
So, I fly my Spark when I have no distractions and then I follow my Spark throughout the flight, even if is a dot in the sky/background but if for any reason I loose the dot, I don't hit RTH, instead I either move it around until I see it again or I start heading back. The feeling of not seeing or knowing the surroundings of my Spark happens to raise my heartbeats : -) "I could loose it and not know what happen to it" (scary thought).

My question is how many of you make it a point to not fly beyond line of site? I’m not talking about high or far either. For example, where I live I can put my spark 30’ in the air and beyond 100’ or so I wouldn’t be able to see it due to trees and stuff.
There are many laws that require pilots to fly within VLOS (Visual Line of Sight). You should always fly within LOS (Line of Sight) though. When objects come between the remote controller and Spark, the remote controller signal will be degraded and/or disconnect (causing the Spark to return home).

You could use binoculars to maintain VLOS, but it won't satisfy the law (since that does not permit the use of binoculars).

hi all

Thanks all
Richie
I have the same fear but I recently flew around a house we were in market for. Leaving me and the remote out front and sending drone around property flying by tablet. I'm not comfortable without visual but while it was not a long range or distant height, I had no issue. The main key is to never panic and remember to make sure you know your way back and surroundings. You have to be able to recognize your return. I don't rely on RTH even though I have never had issue with it. As for long distance, never have done that. Don't want this spark to fall and hit someone,or car, property, etc.
I can tell you that the $9. Amazon antenna booster on Amazon DOES work and the GPS range is not lost as quickly as without it.

Reactions: EthanBuddy
I dont know why some people refer to the Spark as a selfie drone. A 2000m range and 500m height, gps and 31mph speed, thats not a selfie drone. This is a full drone and better referred to as a mini drone. I fly my Spark all the time with fpv and gps only. If your going to keep the drone so close in and low why bother with a real drone? All you need then is a toy grade drone. Dont be afraid to use your drone to its full capability. Get out there and have fun but do be careful.

I dont know why some people refer to the Spark as a selfie drone. A 2000m range and 500m height, gps and 31mph speed, thats not a selfie drone. This is a full drone and better referred to as a mini drone. I fly my Spark all the time with fpv and gps only. If your going to keep the drone so close in and low why bother with a real drone? All you need then is a toy grade drone. Dont be afraid to use your drone to its full capability. Get out there and have fun but do be careful.

Because that’s it’s intended purpose. You only have to look at DJI's marketing to see it. If that isn’t enough for you, then that’s what DJI staff say it is - a selfie drone, but a high quality one. It’s not a high end drone, it only Films 1080p at 30fps. Has minimal control over the camera. As for the 'buy a toy drone argument' - people want better quality and features.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the Spark, but I use it like a compact camera for fun family time. Anything more serious I’d take my DSLR, and my Mavic.

I always fly on LOS, don't by flyaways, my flyaway was in LOS too, just I always need to be in control of situation and I can't be sure if I can't see the drone. It isn't just a selfie drone, I use it to make ingeniering works almost twice every week, and when it's flying over buildings you must know what are you doing.

I'm too scared to...can barely fly it above 30m in the air without getting adrenaline dump looking up at it high in the air with my fear of heights....

Reactions: PhoNY-ID
Because that’s it’s intended purpose. You only have to look at DJI's marketing to see it. If that isn’t enough for you, then that’s what DJI staff say it is - a selfie drone, but a high quality one. It’s not a high end drone, it only Films 1080p at 30fps. Has minimal control over the camera. As for the 'buy a toy drone argument' - people want better quality and features.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the Spark, but I use it like a compact camera for fun family time. Anything more serious I’d take my DSLR, and my Mavic.

Never read so much rubbish in 1 post. Since when does DJI advertise the Spark as a selfie drone? Its simply advertised as a beginners drone.

there was a day family dinner reunion. my brother took out iphone 7plus took photos family members , i took out my dji spark . i made a comparison, im shocked Dji Spark pictures and video is far clearer, vivid . all photos are shots at home

Reactions: MannyCAM2001

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewDatcu