Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying Spark out of site

I always have in mind to maintain LOS, with nothing between rc and spark. But not VLOS. I admit.

Since there was a lot of funny to read things written about spark in this thread, let me add my part:
Spark can "only do 1080/30fps" videos.
This is a con for spark by many "reviewers" and others.
Now I have a few questions which I'm not able to answer to myself:
Does 50% of people know that this is full HD?
Is 50% of people aware that at least 80% of TVs and monitors and other devices where people are watching videos are not able to show 4k picture? So where is the benefit to have 4k video then?
I've seen many aerial/action videos done by various 1080p/30fps cameras (or they at least were set like that despite being able to do more): for my eyes and eyes of all other I know videos from spark 1080 camera are simply the best.
There are a lot of videos on youtube people admitting that spark videos looks unbelivable for 1080p/30fps. That spark videos looks better than a lot of 4k camera video.
I believe there are other things important besides resolution and frames per second. But those 2 are great for marketing. ;-)

The reason that the Spark 1080p video looks so great is that, along with a top quality sensor and lens, it has a very high bitrate for 1080p.

Means more detail and less artifacts in the compressed result.

I've never seen 1080p like the Spark produces, and neither has anyone else I've shown it to, most people ask if it's 4K on their 4K TVs.

DJI know where and how to make the difference.

All hail mighty Spark.

However, hypothetically speaking once you add the controller in to the mix it becomes a Super Selfie Drone. The controller gives it that extra boost so you can be extra sure you dont miss any of those awesome selfie moments that could only be captured from 1.2 miles away.

Might be funny to have a contest for BEST long range selfie.

Hilarious photos of tiny specks no one can really see.

I dont know why some people refer to the Spark as a selfie drone. A 2000m range and 500m height, gps and 31mph speed, thats not a selfie drone. This is a full drone and better referred to as a mini drone. I fly my Spark all the time with fpv and gps only. If your going to keep the drone so close in and low why bother with a real drone? All you need then is a toy grade drone. Dont be afraid to use your drone to its full capability. Get out there and have fun but do be careful.

I agree! Common sense prevails. The reason I don't have a higher end model (yet) is that I want to push the limits, experiencing and learning as much as I can with a less expensive model. Same as cars, someone will always say you need a Cadillac because they have one. I'm happy with my Spark.

If had a quarter for every time someone told me I need a Cadillac, I tell ya what.

Palatine 70 ft ALG 210 meters distance.jpg Here's a selfie of me from 210 meters out (ALG about 70 feet). I am left of center in the bright green area just in front of the gray car.

I can tell you that to me, Spark is just a tiny black dot at that distance, though I am aided by a couple of Cree LEDs that I stuck on it. When I looked down at my screen and I then looked up again - it was not easy to find it again. At 300 meters It's hard for me to believe that anyone can see it.

At that distance, flying back is easy enough using the map/arrow or the attitude display, assuming the GPS/compass are working. If not you have a problem.

View attachment 3948

Last edited:
Reactions: ZPFunk
I get nervous if I don't see the Spark in flight. I always do a visual line of site and it's a rather expensive toy to lose and replace. The Spark has a connotation of being a selfie drone but it's also good for all around shooting especially for videos. When you register your drone there are guidelines you have to follow and VLOS is one of them. If you are going farther then a spotter with a binocular is helpful.

In all of those, the Spark is used as a selfie drone, it's true. But not exclusively as a selfie drone in any of them. Tracking cars, tracking sports, et cetera... those are not selfies.
Plus, what about that little button for sport mode. Not exactly a selfie feature

Selfie drone...now that's funny! As others have pointed out, those1.2 mile away selfies rock!

I was flying at my local beach resort this past week and for the first time, completely lost VLOS a few times. It was very windy and I was only up around 200ft...I got to 300ft max and only about 300-400ft away from me. The key is not to panic, I used the video to see where I was at and understand it's orientation and flew it back to me without any issues. So while I always try to keep VLOS, it doesn't always work out that way due to its size...and my aging eyes :)

Richie, it is safe to say that if one properly grasps the user manuals, and has a solid understanding of how the features they intend to use on their spark are meant to function they'd be one step safer.

To help insure a safe flight, before taking off make sure of a few things, proper GPS connection for spark, Compass/Imu are Calibrated, and that you take off from a clearing without overhead obstructions.

Then in your settings make sure your RTH height is safely above any obstacles and within legal limits for your area.

When you do take off, keep the spark close by and Verify that the home point has been updated and matches your take off location on the map.

If you did all of that, and your location is looking good on the map, then the sparks return to home should definitely probably work.

There are so many factors that come into play when piloting a drone that relies on wifi and gps, so theres no absolute answer unless the person telling you also flys at the same place you fly at. That along with subtle differences in manufacturing as well as dirty sensors, weather conditions and other variables can throw curve balls at you.

To sum up the rant, if you do your preflight checks, and make sure your homepoint is correct your spark is designed to return to that location. As someone who has done a few range tests and lost connection with my spark, mine did always return home and usually within a foot or two of where it took off.

If you dont need to be standing under the trees while filming, try flying over them at an angle from a clearing, then you can maintain LOS, im sure you may have thought of that though.

Great post, thank you for taking the time to explain. Definitely helpful and much appreciated.

The reason that the Spark 1080p video looks so great is that, along with a top quality sensor and lens, it has a very high bitrate for 1080p.

Means more detail and less artifacts in the compressed result.

I've never seen 1080p like the Spark produces, and neither has anyone else I've shown it to, most people ask if it's 4K on their 4K TVs.

DJI know where and how to make the difference.

All hail mighty Spark.
I like that cozzykim, ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY SPARK!
And you know of course it’s a she

I'm too scared to...can barely fly it above 30m in the air without getting adrenaline dump looking up at it high in the air with my fear of heights....

I was the same to start with.
I found a trip to a nice wide open beach helped. Find yourself a big open area and just go for it.
Keep low to the ground so as to minimise any damage should the worst happen. And trust your intuitions.
I just kept pushing a little further every so often, keeping a firm eye on the phone screen. It took me a couple of good long flights before trying Sport Mode, but once you get used to it, it becomes very natural.

Lol, it can be intimidating. When viewing the footage from that high up, one does get some really weird feelings. you feel like you’re right there in the cockpit of the Spark.
It’s like standing in the House of Representatives, preparing to give a speech. You know that anything you say or do can affect millions....well not millions, but you get the point.

Lol, it can be intimidating. When viewing the footage from that high up, one does get some really weird feelings. you feel like you’re right there in the cockpit of the Spark.
It’s like standing in the House of Representatives, preparing to give a speech. You know that anything you say or do can affect millions....well not millions, but you get the point.

I tried some FPV goggles a while back, now that is a weird feeling. I nearly fell over twice lol

It’s gotta be!!,
I can only imagine. Talk about being on a roller coaster looking down. I have yet to try the FPV Goggles.

Reactions: DPJ
I have always done long distance flying with DJI drones for the past couple years as I live not too far from places that facilitate long distance flying.. So far I have had my Spark out over a mile away at 7000 ft. using parabolic signal reflectors. I have had the inspire out about 2 miles away at 11,000 ft, and the Phantom 4 out 4 miles or 22,000 ft. away. The Spark did great but needs to be in Sportmode, otherwise its just too slow for long trips..That's where the Inspire comes into its own, I've had it come back to me at 65 mph with a tailwind, good fun. I fly far but safe, always LOS and usually not over 250 ft up

I considered the Mavic Air but considering the extra cost and the control platform is identical as far as I can tell I opted to start smaller. I’m definitely dealing with the learning curve and even with my prescription glasses I can only see it up to 50 meters up and 200 or so meters away. I know the Air is faster and bigger but really my target is going to be 20 meters off the stern of a moving boat and altitude of 20 meters. Unfortunately I don’t have a great way to simulate. Light to moderate winds are ok with me a little gimbal shake doesn’t bother me!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502