Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

First time shooting pictures at night with the Spark

I would like to know shutter speed and ISO values for OP night shots. Since it could be quite windy up there, and SPark don't have 3rd axis on gimbal, any shutter speed slower than 1/10 could end blurry. Also Spark sensor is quite sensitive to high ISO values, noise is quite prominent in video mode above ISO 800. I tested ISO 1600 or 3200 (can't remember exactly) and without exaggeration footage isn't usable to be honest. For photos, I found ISO 800 quite usable, not sure for above that.

Can't drop any useful tip for Spark night photography at the moment since I didn't experimented with it yet, but one thing is for sure - if you can shoot with ISO 200, 2 seconds exposure and get stable clear photo, that would be fantastic. But as I've said, Spark can be very nervous at above 50 meters due to wind, so maybe the goal is 1/5 or 1/10 with ISO 800 or higher.

Reactions: BrilhasMuito
I didn’t know you guys speak American not English. I didn’t even know there was a language called “American”. I learned English in Australia that’s why I didn’t know that. Nobody has never taught me that until today. See, at least I learned something new. I improved my knowledge. And that’s what I’m talking about.
I mean you didn’t need to say that my English/American is bad and my sentences are terrible to understand. You just corrected/taught me in a really polite and humble way. And I appreciate that.
Bad or good we are all here to have feedbacks in order to learn. But polite and constructive ones. Exactly the way you just did.

És um portuga de segunda pá! Não vales um caralho!

I would like to know shutter speed and ISO values for OP night shots. Since it could be quite windy up there, and SPark don't have 3rd axis on gimbal, any shutter speed slower than 1/10 could end blurry. Also Spark sensor is quite sensitive to high ISO values, noise is quite prominent in video mode above ISO 800. I tested ISO 1600 or 3200 (can't remember exactly) and without exaggeration footage isn't usable to be honest. For photos, I found ISO 800 quite usable, not sure for above that.

Can't drop any useful tip for Spark night photography at the moment since I didn't experimented with it yet, but one thing is for sure - if you can shoot with ISO 200, 2 seconds exposure and get stable clear photo, that would be fantastic. But as I've said, Spark can be very nervous at above 50 meters due to wind, so maybe the goal is 1/5 or 1/10 with ISO 800 or higher.
I'm the OP and the pictures were taken with the camera in auto. Only adjustment was the EV was set to +1.3. I'm not a photo guy, by any stretch of the imagination! LOL! Just a guy having fun flying the Spark,and seeing what it will do.

I'm the OP and the pictures were taken with the camera in auto. Only adjustment was the EV was set to +1.3. I'm not a photo guy, by any stretch of the imagination! LOL! Just a guy having fun flying the Spark,and seeing what it will do.
You can see the shutter speed, ISO, etc, in the exif information when you open the photos in, for example, FastStone Inage Viewer (I highly recommend it).

I didn’t know you guys speak American not English. I didn’t even know there was a language called “American”. I learned English in Australia that’s why I didn’t know that. Nobody has never taught me that until today. See, at least I learned something new. I improved my knowledge. And that’s what I’m talking about.
I mean you didn’t need to say that my English/American is bad and my sentences are terrible to understand. You just corrected/taught me in a really polite and humble way. And I appreciate that.
Bad or good we are all here to have feedbacks in order to learn. But polite and constructive ones. Exactly the way you just did.

Yeah most Americans don't speak English lol we are all illiterate :D

C’mon guys. It’s all about the Spark, and how we can fully take advantage of this lil machine. It’s not about who can piss further.
It’s about getting to know how to help others with what you’ve learned from using the Spark. Not your 1500.00 camera gear. If you can adapt what you’ve learned shooting with other more expensive cameras, then bring it on, share your knowledge. But it’s still about the Spark.
I have no interest in seeing what you’ve done with your SLR, or the larger DJI drones. I want to see SPARK ⚡️ VIDEOS AND PHOTOS.
I’ve included a great resource on how I prefer shooting, using long exposures on the Spark.
Enjoy

C’mon guys. It’s all about the Spark, and how we can fully take advantage of this lil machine. It’s not about who can piss further.
It’s about getting to know how to help others with what you’ve learned from using the Spark. Not your 1500.00 camera gear. If you can adapt what you’ve learned shooting with other more expensive cameras, then bring it on, share your knowledge. But it’s still about the Spark.
I have no interest in seeing what you’ve done with your SLR, or the larger DJI drones. I want to see SPARK ⚡️ VIDEOS AND PHOTOS.
I’ve included a great resource on how I prefer shooting, using long exposures on the Spark.
Enjoy
People are more focused on my English skills.
Can’t believe a spark shot those night photos! Insane.

Last edited:
I didn't start anything...that other guy called me a jackass!

In a public forum I can say anything that goes in a normal speech! It´s my opinion, not his! I didn't insult anyone as he did.

You picked a heck of a way to open your original comment.
People like you discourage others from trying.
Nothing but a darn bully online.
Especially when you push your "I have been a photographer over ten years".
Take your criticism somewhere else.

How about offering ways to help instead of slamming him?
I read lots of slams from you but not one darn solution.

Reactions: suprPHREAK
Enjoy

That last shot is excellent... piqued my interest in bending the rules a little :eek: ...

Reactions: pmshop
That last shot is excellent... piqued my interest in bending the rules a little :eek: ...

Bend what rules?
In the US, under part107 commercial, you cannot fly at night before or after Civil Twilight
In the US, under part 336 hobbyist, there is no night time restriction.
FAADroneZone

Reactions: Hddeuce03
The biggest barrier to good long exposures on Spark is the lack of 3rd axis, as many have pointed out. If there is any yaw at all, it will blur. For best results, shoot only in dead calm conditions.

Reactions: pmshop
I’m pretty new at all of these, bought my first drone last November. It was a Syma drone which is a pretty fun drone to play and learn with.
Liked drones so much that in January I sold the Syma then bought a DJI and obviously now I want to squeeze the most of this incredible technology to take nice shots and videos. At first not professionally, but who knows?
My lap top is broken so I can’t access my full size photos to share with you guys. As soon as I fix it I share my pics with you guys.
Peace!!!!
Incredible pics man!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis