Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

First time shooting pictures at night with the Spark

Ron_Dog

Join
Mar 23, 2018
Loc
Illinois
I got a flight over our small town last night, to try some night shots. They really turned out well. I'm liking my Spark more every day!:)

Attachments

• Spark Night Flight 3:31:18DJI_0014.JPG
    Spark Night Flight 3:31:18DJI_0014.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 196
  • Spark Night Flight 3:31:18DJI_0006.JPG
    Spark Night Flight 3:31:18DJI_0006.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 168
  • Spark Night Flight 3:31:18DJI_0007.JPG
    Spark Night Flight 3:31:18DJI_0007.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 164
Thanks for sharing the pictures. I am a new Spark owner and I have wondered about the picture quality at night. Now I know.

I don't think those are nice photos...
Sorry about my opinion but the photos are blurred, no definition, color grade is wrong(too much yellow, too much green, etc)...meaning wrong WB.
I do not know if you've changed settings or if the pics are straight from the camera without any edition.
Don't take it personal but I'm a photographer for over 10 years now and I can really say that those photos are not good.
I also think that the Spark is not good enough for night pics.

My 2 cents

Sorry about my opinion but the photos are blurred, no definition, color grade is wrong(too much yellow, too much green, etc)...meaning wrong WB.
I do not know if you've changed settings or if the pics are straight from the camera without any edition.
Don't take it personal but I'm a photographer for over 10 years now and I can really say that those photos are not good.

My 2 cents
And you are kindof a jackass about it.

If you are going to go into a forum to criticize, then how about offering tips to help someone improve? You know, for being such an expert?

Also, this is a BEGINNER drone. Shouldn't that lead you to believe the users are beginners in photography and videography? I'm sure if you look at some of your stuff from "10 years ago", you would call it crap, too.

Seriously, we all know what the spark is...a flying smartphone camera. We know it is crap at night, and the lack of a 3rd axis is what creates that blur. That said, for something that is FLYING, the results are better than expected, don't you think?

Fwiw: colours look right for the lighting typical in my region.

Signed,
Nationally published news photographer, event videographer, 15 years experience, and still learning.

My 2 cents
Those are taken from the drone,NO editing! When I get serious about taking photo's,I use my Inspire 1 V2. For the masses those are more than good enough, though! The yellow and green tint is the true colors of the sodium vapor lights.

Nice photos! Did you take them on automatic or manual settings?
I left everything in "auto" except the EV. I set it to +1.3 and that seemed to bring out the details in the view much more.

Attachments

• Spark Night Flight 3:31:18DJI_0019.JPG
    Spark Night Flight 3:31:18DJI_0019.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 46
Reactions: NazoINK and Zicolas
And you are kindof a jackass about it.

If you are going to go into a forum to criticize, then how about offering tips to help someone improve? You know, for being such an expert?

Also, this is a BEGINNER drone. Shouldn't that lead you to believe the users are beginners in photography and videography? I'm sure if you look at some of your stuff from "10 years ago", you would call it crap, too.

Seriously, we all know what the spark is...a flying smartphone camera. We know it is crap at night, and the lack of a 3rd axis is what creates that blur. That said, for something that is FLYING, the results are better than expected, don't you think?

Fwiw: colours look right for the lighting typical in my region.

Signed,
Nationally published news photographer, event videographer, 15 years experience, and still learning.

Woooo....I didnt call you anything, *******!
If you're a photographer you should know better than that...
I didn't say anything wrong and that was not criticize, was a comment abou the photos and if you're really a "Nationally published news photographer, event videographer, 15 years experience" you must be a poor one cause you know for sure that the photos are really, really bad, they look like **** for a such great photographer...
If it was me doing those photos I wouldn't post it here.
If it was me I would not be ashamed to criticize my own photos and I would accept any comments from anyone as long as comments or critics are done correctly, not calling "jackass" to someone you don't know from anywhere.
So, up yours!

Last edited:
Now everyone play nicely or take your hockey nets and go home! <wink> Manual settings manipulation could probably make some difference I am betting. In Canada, it is illegal to fly at night, so moot point for some of us. Thanks for posting those. Give us some perspective. Like/dislike is a subjective thing, to the OP, its an achievement. I respect that.

I didn't start anything...that other guy called me a jackass!

In a public forum I can say anything that goes in a normal speech! It´s my opinion, not his! I didn't insult anyone as he did.

My 2 cents
These pics are not bad at all, I mean for an amateur (like me and most of us who own a spark), with no filter nor grading these pics are good enough.
You could just give him tips to help improving his photos rather than just criticize and being cocky about your "10 years photographer career".
Forums are not to show how outstanding you think you are but to HELP PEOPLE OUT.

This one is the same cache photo but now with a little processing. Just a little sharpen, very little saturation and brightness. Ps: used a very simple online editor. hahahahahatp-3.jpg

Reactions: MannyCAM2001
These pics are not bad at all, I mean for an amateur (like me and most of us who own a spark), with no filter nor grading these pics are good enough.
You could just give him tips to help improving his photos rather than just criticize and being cocky about your "10 years photographer career".
Forums are not to show how outstanding you think you are but to HELP PEOPLE OUT.

Olha, para ti eu respondo já, rapidinho, rapidinho:

Eu só emiti a minha opinião que, para qualquer vulgar indivíduo que saiba ler, perceberá que não enxovalhei ninguém, muito menos o user a quem eu respondi. De facto, até tenho mais que 10 anos de fotografia(que não é nada na realidade mas apenas para se perceber que já vi e fiz muitas fotos e sei perfeitamente emitir uma opinião sobre tal matéria) e já participei em muitos fóruns, aprendi com os melhores na área do amadorismo e alguns profissionais. E estas fotos não valem mesmo muito. Ora, com isto, não estou a dizer que é culpa do user do spark. Se leres bem ou se souberes ler, irás constatar que as fotos estão tal e qual como eu referi e até pedi desculpa ao user por emitir aquela opinião que é só minha e ninguém tem nada com isso. Se há virgens ofendidas aqui, paciência, não é a minha praia. A minha praia é fotografia e o aperfeiçoamento constante da mesma. Por outro lado, se ainda conseguires ler, facilmente te apercebes que estou a emitir uma opinião do spark e sobre as suas capacidades de fotografar. O user, pelo que vejo, pouco percebe de fotografia e acha até que as fotos estão bem...Pesquisa no 500px.com ou no flickr sobre fotos feitas com o Spark e depois compara com estas... E, posto isto, refiro na última frase que o spark não é muito bom para fotografia nocturna, aliás, pesquisando facilmente na net por reviews, youtube e afins, não há um consenso sobre boa fotografia nocturna do spark. E foi isto que eu quis dizer. Nunca, ofender o user. Mas, hey...às vezes é preciso saber ouvir criticas negativas ou então andaremos sempre no marasmo habitual do tipo "ah e tal...que excelentes fotos - gosto!".
Não é, definitivamente, o meu modo de estar.
Portanto, quem não gostar, paciência.

Por último, até ia comentar e dar umas dicas sobre o que eu acho que ele deveria fazer, até porque o spark não tem muitas opções para a fotografia como o Mavic, por exemplo. O Spark filma a FHD 1920×1080 30p, ponto. O Mavic são vários formatos...
E o sensor de 1/2.3 não é grande espingarda. No entanto, com edição, consegue-se fazer duma foto diurna e algumas semi-nocturnas, umas boas fotos, daí eu ter mencionado o 500px.com ou o flickr e outros por aí...

For those that can't read portuguese...

Look, for you, I'll answer like this:

I only gave my opinion that, for any vulgar individual who can read, you will realize that I did not mess up anyone, much less the user I responded to. In fact, I even have more than 10 years of photography (which is nothing in reality but only to realize that I have seen and made many photos and I know how to express an opinion on this subject) and I have participated in many forums, I have learned with the best in the area of amateurism and some professionals. And these pictures are not worth much either. Well, with that, I'm not saying it's the spark user's fault. If you read well or if you know how to read, you will see that the photos are just like I mentioned and I even apologized to the user for issuing that opinion that is mine and nobody has anything to do with it. If there are offended virgins here, I don't care, it's not my area. My area is photography and the constant improvement of it. On the other hand, if you can still read, you easily realize that I'm giving an opinion of the spark and its shooting abilities. The user, from what I see, little realizes of photography and thinks the photos are ok ... Just look in 500px.com or flickr on photos made with Spark and then compare with these ... And, also, I mean in the last sentence that the spark is not very good for night photography, in fact, searching easily on the net for reviews, youtube and others, there is no consensus on good spark night photography. And that's what I meant. Never, offend the user. But, hey ... sometimes we need to be able to listen to negative reviews or we'll always be in the usual "ah ... what a great pic - like!"
It's definitely not my way...
Therefore, who does not like my opinion I don't care.

Finally, I would comment and give some tips on what I think he should do, because spark does not have many options for photography like Mavic, for example. The Spark films the FHD 1920 × 1080 30p, period. The Mavic are various formats ...
And the 1 / 2.3 sensor is not a great one. However, with editing, it is possible to make a daytime photo and some semi-nocturnal, good photos, hence I mentioned 500px.com or flickr and others out there ...

But in the meantime, some retarded decided to comment on my opinion so I stopped posting here.

Search: DJI spark | Flickr

DJI Spark photos / 500px

Last edited:
Reactions: ELD.visuals

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis