Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

first mistake... newbie error

BrianP

Join
Jan 27, 2018
after battling with registering I couldn't resist a first flight of my new Spark...

here's the situation:
using a phone for control
indoors, light fading,
9ft ceiling height
took off from a small, low, table
hovered around 5 ft,
took some shots of the Spark with a camera,
decided to grab hold of drone to tilt it and turn off props,
- it sensed my hand and went higher,
while I considered my options it drifted closer to the ceiling and I started to worry about it touching the ceiling and damaging itself.
I grabbed it and tilted it down to stop props
I turned off the power and reflected how badly prepared I had been for a first flight.

What could I have done to avoid any of the above and landed it safely/stopped the props?

Go easy on me I was just trying out my brand new acquisition...
Cheers for any help.

Reactions: fcalmon
A) Phone control is not a good idea. Contrary to what DJI shows on their marketing ads, these drones are not meant to be flown indoors
B) Indoors flying for your 1st flight not a good idea

Grabbing and tilting it in order to power off was quick thinking!

Reactions: twidmer and BrianP
A) Phone control is not a good idea. Contrary to what DJI shows on their marketing ads, these drones are not meant to be flown indoors
B) Indoors flying for your 1st flight not a good idea

Grabbing and tilting it in order to power off was quick thinking!

cheers m8...
controller is a sore point... a seller let me down.
nice bike in profile pic... I've had a few myself in the past 50 odd years.

after battling with registering I couldn't resist a first flight of my new Spark...

here's the situation:
using a phone for control
indoors, light fading,
9ft ceiling height
took off from a small, low, table
hovered around 5 ft,
took some shots of the Spark with a camera,
decided to grab hold of drone to tilt it and turn off props,
- it sensed my hand and went higher,
while I considered my options it drifted closer to the ceiling and I started to worry about it touching the ceiling and damaging itself.
I grabbed it and tilted it down to stop props
I turned off the power and reflected how badly prepared I had been for a first flight.

What could I have done to avoid any of the above and landed it safely/stopped the props?

Go easy on me I was just trying out my brand new acquisition...
Cheers for any help.

Am I missing something here?
You could have used the on screen throttle stick (to reduce altitude) or auto land on the phone.

Reactions: BrianP
Am I missing something here?
You could have used the on screen throttle stick (to reduce altitude) or auto land on the phone.

no, you are spot on... it all happened in a flash, I didn't know how to at the time...

I just had a similar experience... unfortunately mine decided to move slowly into a wall and drop hard to the floor (loss of connection and no ability to do anything) except dumbfoundedly wonder how I will explain to my son that his birthday present got trashed by dad.. Doh!!

As I have been told numerous times "dont fly them indoors", and of course told my son not to also with his old parrots.. HA HA HA.. do as I say not as i do...

I just had a similar experience... unfortunately mine decided to move slowly into a wall and drop hard to the floor (loss of connection and no ability to do anything) except dumbfoundedly wonder how I will explain to my son that his birthday present got trashed by dad.. Doh!!

As I have been told numerous times "dont fly them indoors", and of course told my son not to also with his old parrots.. HA HA HA.. do as I say not as i do...

ouch...

If the prop guards were on it wouldn't have crashed when hitting the ceiling, quick thinking to grab it just be mindful of your fingers(cut mine badly when miss judging a catch). I agree with aviscomi phone control looks great in the marketing ads, i only fly mine indoors if the following 2 criteria is met, 1, on controller only, 2, is it absolutely necessary.(more than likely the iPhone will do. even when throttling down to land on your palm it will sense the object and hesitate to land but just keep stick down and it will over ride that.

If the prop guards were on it wouldn't have crashed when hitting the ceiling, quick thinking to grab it just be mindful of your fingers(cut mine badly when miss judging a catch). I agree with aviscomi phone control looks great in the marketing ads, i only fly mine indoors if the following 2 criteria is met, 1, on controller only, 2, is it absolutely necessary.(more than likely the iPhone will do. even when throttling down to land on your palm it will sense the object and hesitate to land but just keep stick down and it will over ride that.

new arrival spark and no guards owned, yet!
Just ordered a controller after being let down.
Thanks for the tip about throttling down to override any issues landing on hand.

I really do not understand what is the problem with flying indoors. Of course I did my first flight outside, but I am flying indoors very often, I even teached my girflriend how to fly spark indoors for the first time. It's keeps position indoors with optical positioning perfectly, the same is with heading and altitiude on infrared sensors. Just rock solid! After being pushed from position comes back to the exactly same (of course precision depends of the pattern of floor).

Best rgrds

If you select the land mode from the screen, before you put your hand under it, it will begin to descend. From there you can grab in, turn sideways and turn off. If you don't it will try to avoid your hand and fly up

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fulavio