Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI Spark: Distance Test In Sport Mode - 1.8 Miles (9565ft)

Amckim2084

Join
Mar 27, 2019
Loc
Missouri
I went out to do a distance test on the DJI Spark in Sport mode. I forgot to hit record on the Spark but lucky me I screen recorded my IPhone. I was able to make it out 1.8 miles (9565ft)

Last edited:
Nice. This is much higher than what is advertised. Did you use parabolic range extenders or any other hack?

Reactions: Amckim2084
Actually no. I was surprised myself how far I went. I just found a spot in the country and took off. I still had signal and video feed when it RTH on battery percentage. Probably could have gone a little farther.

I still had signal and video feed when it RTH on battery percentage.
That's the reason I asked you if you used any hack. Usually it is the no signal RTH which comes into play when you are so far out. The video feed starts getting choppy and suddenly you find RC signal lost. Not in your case. Even the screen recording video seemed very smooth. Amidst all the fly-away stories, it is nice to see videos like this which shows how good the Spark is. It instills confidence in other pilots. Thanks for sharing this video. Cheers mate!!

Nice video and great range with no accessories. I have video of a flight I did last summer going 14,588 ft out (2.8 miles) / 29,254 ft round trip. Only extra was the $8 passive parabolic range extender dish. Video is very laggy - but does show the telematics. Landed with 2% battery remaining.

Nice video and great range with no accessories. I have video of a flight I did last summer going 14,588 ft out (2.8 miles) / 29,254 ft round trip. Only extra was the $8 passive parabolic range extender dish. Video is very laggy - but does show the telematics. Landed with 2% battery remaining.

That’s pretty good. Not sure if I want to attempt that lol. I got 2.7 from my P3S with a mod so it’s amazing that a Spark can out run a Phantom with just range extenders.

I have never done a range test as of yet but I might just have to do so one day.

Yea it can be a little stressful but I use to fly P3S a lot so I think I got the hang of it. I might try again someday and cancel RTH for a little bit more distance since I landed at 35% battery. It RTH at 60% so maybe I’ll turn around at 50-55.

Yea it can be a little stressful but I use to fly P3S a lot so I think I got the hang of it. I might try again someday and cancel RTH for a little bit more distance since I landed at 35% battery. It RTH at 60% so maybe I’ll turn around at 50-55.

You want to make sure first of all the wind is minimal (look on UAV Forecast app) also if any wind at all make sure your going against the wind on your trip going out. That way you know your return trip will use less power and less battery to travel the same distance. Then, depending on your comfort level (at your own risk) turn around even in the mid to high 40% battery range. Until you get to know the limits - 50-55% is smarter as you mentioned above. No one wants to lose your spark - especially if over water like I was most of my flight.

You want to make sure first of all the wind is minimal (look on UAV Forecast app) also if any wind at all make sure your going against the wind on your trip going out. That way you know your return trip will use less power and less battery to travel the same distance. Then, depending on your comfort level (at your own risk) turn around even in the mid to high 40% battery range. Until you get to know the limits - 50-55% is smarter as you mentioned above. No one wants to lose your spark - especially if over water like I was most of my flight.

I think I’ll try the 55% first. From your video, you lost connection at 50% and landed at 2% so I don’t know about 50% yet lol. I don’t know what kind of wind you had but I think I had about 5mph according to the weather app. I flew out against it. I’m saving up for a Mavic Pro someday so I think I’ll leave to super long range to that one. I like my little Spark lol.

High altitude and relatively flat terrain certainly helps, and little to no Wifi polution. Too bad you forgot to record to SD!

Northeast Missouri is crazy flat and lots of open spaces lol.

I think I’ll try the 55% first. From your video, you lost connection at 50% and landed at 2% so I don’t know about 50% yet lol. I don’t know what kind of wind you had but I think I had about 5mph according to the weather app. I flew out against it. I’m saving up for a Mavic Pro someday so I think I’ll leave to super long range to that one. I like my little Spark lol.

If you watch again the battery froze at 50% for about 1,000 ft. Then lost signal (video is 3x normal speed) so 50% and 1K ft later lost signal then 3-5 seconds then rth - thinking I was probably around 46% when rth actually took place is my guess.

I went out to do a distance test on the DJI Spark in Sport mode. I forgot to hit record on the Spark but lucky me I screen recorded my IPhone. I was able to make it out 1.8 miles (9565ft)

Wow!!! Great video and the distance is Amazing?. Scooter

Spark distance is amazing
Here was my run:
<snip>
Details in YouTube description.
Nice flight, again, the terrain is quite flat, and the trees are not so tall, also your vector is clear of obstacles, assuming you went up high enough, what was the top altitude?

Nice flight, again, the terrain is quite flat, and the trees are not so tall, also your vector is clear of obstacles, assuming you went up high enough, what was the top altitude?
Logs show me at 400AGL (120m)

Spark distance is amazing
Here was my run:
Details in YouTube description.

Nice one. I’ll hit 10000 myself soon. Kinda rainy lately :(

Reactions: pmshop

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member