Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI go app 4.1.18 on Android killed the OTG cable support!?!

OK, I downloaded 4.1.15 shown here and the minute I opened it I immediately got a notice that a newer version is available. So even though I have "only update manually " in my Android settings, I don't trust DJI to not force me back to 4.1.18 stealthily

Anyone have any suggestions on any other steps I can take to protect this new install ?

It's letting you know that you're not using the latest version but it's not going to automatically download/install it as long as you have your apps set to update manually. I rolled back to 4.1.15 when all this started and it's still running fine. 4.1.18 is still sitting in the queue waiting for me to download.. and I'm still waiting for DJI to fix it.

Only solution is rolling back the app version, which has worked for me. Doesn't seem right spending so much money on a drone but have to use and an outdated app to make it work at a decent level.

Going back one version (18 to 15) doesn't bother me too much. I'd like to give DJI the benefit of the doubt that this was just an untested thing that escaped their beta or in house testers and that will be fixed in the next release. But considering all the people that went out and bought significantly less expensive android tablets to fly with, this isn't an issue they can be content to shrug and say "sorry we don't support that too bad!" and walk away from us on it with all future releases of the app. When 1-2% of your customers use an "unsupported" feature and have problems, ok I get it, that's hard for them to support. But when 15-20% of your users are relying on it, you really need to rethink your interpretation of "unsupported". ("limited support" perhaps?)

OK, I downloaded 4.1.15 shown here and the minute I opened it I immediately got a notice that a newer version is available. So even though I have "only update manually " in my Android settings, I don't trust DJI to not force me back to 4.1.18 stealthily

Anyone have any suggestions on any other steps I can take to protect this new install ?
Turn off automatic updating of your apps.

I think everyone needs to get onto DJI using online chat or email and make sure they're aware of the level of dissatisfaction. Personally I thought I'd buy the Spark as a stop-gap waiting for the next generation of Mavic to come out. This was the opportunity for DJI to prove me wrong after terrible experiences with the current Mavic. For a week of the Spark (4 flights with the OTG cable) I thought they'd done it, but it seems having a product working as advertised was too good to be true! I've lost faith in them completely and this may be the thing that stops me upgrading in the future. I bought the Mavic originally but had to return for a replacement and could not get a working one (first one had an under-capacity battery, second one had over 100 dead pixels on the controller screen). I gave up and went for the Spark. Overall it's frustrating because DJI have killed off the competition but aren't offering a satisfactory service. They effectively have a monopoly which is not good for the industry. They seriously need a decent competitor to make them up their game in terms of service and reliability.
Oh be careful, the moderator may not like your democratic right to Spero out against dji.
They are working on getting it fixed. I have even gone as far as suggesting to them to make a separate app just for the spark. It would simply the app to not have to make it compatible with the whole Dji line-up.

Can you pretend I don't know how to do that? (because I don't ;) )
It's via the Play store. Go into the Google Play store (rather than the app itself) and find the DJI GO 4 app main page. In the top right there should be the usual 3 dots menu. Open that and you should get a tick box to turn off auto update.

Last edited:
So does anyone have the CrystalSky monitor on the Spark? I'm curious if it also has the missing info on version.18? When browsing the DJI site it specifically says you need a USB OTG cable when connecting to the spark remote.
  • A USB OTG cable is required when connecting to a Spark remote controller.

I am a new member and spark pilot. Some months ago that I replaced my mobile under my financial schedule I selected Xiaomi Mi Max (6.5" screen) on purpose so to use it with my future Spark. Three months later I bought my spark again under my financial schedule in order to use it with the OTG. Now I found out that OTG is blocked from the new version of DJI GO 4.

I am writing this message to DJI in order not only to express my dissatisfaction to DJI, but also to send the message that buyers remember when companies do not supporting them and that if DJI insists on the wrong decision to block the use of OTG, buyers will pay them back. Bad news spreads quickly .....

I hope that they will receive the message!

4.1.22?
7cd2739fc97b615e7a4161d401b38546.jpg

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm reading all these posts as I wait for my Spark to arrive (my first drone).
Whenever possible I always prefer cable connections and I was very disappointed reading problems with OTG.
In the meantime I'm evaluating which device to use: OnePlus 1, OnePlus 2, Samsung S3, Samsung Tab2 7.0, a new iPad Pro 9.0 or, why not, a CrystalSky 7.0 high (CrystalSky 7.0 Ultra is too expensive for my use). By evaluating the various Crystalsky options on the Dji store, I found this information regarding OTG. Apparently it seems that Dji is doing everything possible to solve the problem

Buy CrystalSky Mavic/Spark Remote Controller Mounting Bracket

I apologize if this evidence had already been dealt with in this or other threads of the forum, in case you do not take it into account and please indicate to me where to read about the topic.
Regarding the device to use I think it's better that I open or follow another thread.
Good day to all

Attachments

• Dji OTG.gif
    Dji OTG.gif
    221.2 KB · Views: 92
I just checked and my Amazon Fire has the 4.18 version installed, does anyone know how to downgrade the app to version 4.15 on this device?

My apologies for this question. Yes OTG is one feature (Android) that is a must but from all the pages i read till the end. All was just to un-install 18 and revert back to 15 to get the OTG back up and running. I received my spark today and did the update from the picture attached am I ok to revert back to 15 even if the Aircraft fw is at 01.00.0900 and the firmwares thats from my Spark ? Thanks in advance

2.jpg

My apologies for this question. Yes OTG is one feature (Android) that is a must but from all the pages i read till the end. All was just to un-install 18 and revert back to 15 to get the OTG back up and running. I received my spark today and did the update from the picture attached am I ok to revert back to 15 even if the Aircraft fw is at 01.00.0900 and the firmwares thats from my Spark ? Thanks in advance

View attachment 2352
I was the first and loudest to shed tears when otg stopped working but hate to confess the wifi has been faultless so far with great distance and little lag. For my purpose that is taking panoramic shots within a 600m radius I'm more than happy without the cable atm

I was the first and loudest to shed tears when otg stopped working but hate to confess the wifi has been faultless so far with great distance and little lag. For my purpose that is taking panoramic shots within a 600m radius I'm more than happy without the cable atm

Good news, then. Are you on iOS or Android?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewDatcu