Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI GO 4 MOD 2.0 | DJI GO 4 MOD LITE [ Additional Features | Android | App Ver. 4.1.15 ]

My processor HiSilicon Kirin 659
Octa-core (Quad core 2.4 GHz + Quad-core 1.7 GHz) Cortex-A53

Im using android 7.0

The wifi working normal no problem at all

I tried official one for the first time its normal with the newest version at playstore

Any idea?
your hp processor is fast enough to meet all the requirements. 1st you need to connect spark to Rc 1st. after you get the Green Light at the RC. Then 2nd you will start to plug in the usb . you must not plug in the RC (if there is No Green Light) 3rd. Ensure you check your camera mode is Not in Manual mode. Or else you will See perfect Black screen. please set to Auto mode. im sure this help you

Reactions: dubt
Yes, hats off to the OP for taking the time and keystrokes to get this going for us. I know it's not your work but it is your time!
Had a great flight this AM, getting amazing battery life close to the full 15 min, has nothing to do with the app but man I'm loving my lil Spark! (Till she flies away lol) (honestly if you don't fly in high winds you should have zero issues if you follow all pre-flight checks.

your hp processor is fast enough to meet all the requirements. 1st you need to connect spark to Rc 1st. after you get the Green Light at the RC. Then 2nd you will start to plug in the usb . you must not plug in the RC (if there is No Green Light) 3rd. Ensure you check your camera mode is Not in Manual mode. Or else you will See perfect Black screen. please set to Auto mode. im sure this help you
Thanks.. its worked..
I also format my SD card

Reactions: Jacob
Hey guys dont want to go off topic but just saw something awesome, and something I am definitely going to go for instead of d j i just want to hear your thoughts. Autel Robotics EVO?

Hey guys dont want to go off topic but just saw something awesome, and something I am definitely going to go for instead of d j i just want to hear your thoughts. Autel Robotics EVO?
Nice.... If price is right this will also be my next!

Where did you get the information about RSSI being used for Follow Me? I'm curious and a bit doubtful (sorry). I can see a number of issues using RSSI to follow the remote, among which (a) it provides direction information only if you move around and check in which direction the signal is increasing and (b) the strength can vary noticeably based on relative orientation of the antennas, thus providing the impression that the distance has changed. It seems to me that GPS is essential* for Follow Me, which in turn would make any signal strength information completely useless... what am I missing?

*there are certainly other ways of locating a transmitter without using GPS (case in point the ARTVA devices for avalance resque), but I don't think these are applicable in this discussion

DJI doesn’t exactly call it RSSI themselves, However they are using their radio signal strength and essential doing exactly the same thing as RSSI by definition when they use the radio controller signal strength and attempt to keep the drone moving to stay within a certain narrow db range in order to make the drone follow the remote controller.

I've repaired a many DJI remote controllers and all I've seen inside are two different frequency modules one capable of transmitting and receiving on 2.4Ghz and the other module on 5.8Ghz. The remotes do not have any other transmitter modules besides just the two just mentioned, nor does it have GSM, or a transmitter capable of broadcasting to a satellite such as ARVA does. So by process of elimination what other technology and software means does the follow me mode have to work on besides the 2.4 and 5.8Ghz frequencies signal strength and GPS?

Did I say this was the best method or that it was reliable? Absolutely not.

DJI doesn’t exactly call it RSSI themselves, However they are using their radio signal strength and essential doing exactly the same thing as RSSI by definition when they use the radio controller signal strength and attempt to keep the drone moving to stay within a certain narrow db range in order to make the drone follow the remote controller.

I've repaired a many DJI remote controllers and all I've seen inside are two different frequency modules one capable of transmitting and receiving on 2.4Ghz and the other module on 5.8Ghz. The remotes do not have any other transmitter modules besides just the two just mentioned, nor does it have GSM, or a transmitter capable of broadcasting to a satellite such as ARVA does. So by process of elimination what other technology and software means does the follow me mode have to work on besides the 2.4 and 5.8Ghz frequencies signal strength and GPS?

Did I say this was the best method or that it was reliable? Absolutely not.

It's not a matter of being "best" or "reliable", it's a matter of me not seeing how it could even work. Do you have an hypothesis on how they can use signal strength alone to obtain a directional information? I don't have a Mavic myself, but I'm assuming it doesn't keep going back and forth, left and right in Follow Me mode to continuously probe in which direction the signal strength is increasing, does it?

On the other hand, the Mavic user manual states, on page 60 (very top): "Note that Follow Me performance is subject to the GPS accuracy on the mobile device". From this, I would assume that Follow Me does not even work without a mobile device connected (since, as you observe, there is no GPS unit in the remote). And if they require a mobile device with (as I suspect), why should they use RSSI for? Which added information could they gain?
If instead it does work without a mobile device (any Mavic owner here?), then I would be really curious to understand how it does it.

BTW: ARTVA device don't (usually) communicate with satellites (I bet satellite communication is not very easy from under a meter of two of snow). Localization is obtained by following the field lines of the antenna dipole emission. They do not represent the line of fastest approach (so it wouldn't work for the Mavic either), but will eventually bring the you to the source.

It's not a matter of being "best" or "reliable", it's a matter of me not seeing how it could even work. Do you have an hypothesis on how they can use signal strength alone to obtain a directional information? I don't have a Mavic myself, but I'm assuming it doesn't keep going back and forth, left and right in Follow Me mode to continuously probe in which direction the signal strength is increasing, does it?

On the other hand, the Mavic user manual states, on page 60 (very top): "Note that Follow Me performance is subject to the GPS accuracy on the mobile device". From this, I would assume that Follow Me does not even work without a mobile device connected (since, as you observe, there is no GPS unit in the remote). And if they require a mobile device with (as I suspect), why should they use RSSI for? Which added information could they gain?
If instead it does work without a mobile device (any Mavic owner here?), then I would be really curious to understand how it does it.

BTW: ARTVA device don't (usually) communicate with satellites (I bet satellite communication is not very easy from under a meter of two of snow). Localization is obtained by following the field lines of the antenna dipole emission. They do not represent the line of fastest approach (so it wouldn't work for the Mavic either), but will eventually bring the you to the source.

Yes, it's a matter of you not being able to see the inner workings of the DJI go software as well as you not having an understanding of how and what communications are taking place between the flight controller and remote control. If you ever had to build a UAV Ground station or antenna tracker to keep your radio antenna and video receiver antenna directly pointed at your drone or aircraft you would understand this a whole lot more.

If the Follow me mode in DJI did work based purely on the GPS signal, I and as well as others would have already made every attempt to figure out how to install or attach a better GPS unit to the remote controller to achieve getting the drone to actually follow while moving fast, but unfortunately no it's primarily using the GPS only for failsafe and updating the home-point as the remote controller is moving.

Sorry I am getting your ARTVA or is it ARVA confused with other rescue becons and no satellite communication is not very good under the snow or in adverse weather conditions. The ARVA appears to use radio signal antennas to help rescuers locate the beacon, which doesn't seem to me to be anymore advanced than using signal strength to locate your crashed drone via it's remote control signal or RSSI.

Last edited:
Ok got my Spark back, and tried the app on Note 5.

So far everything works and the app is stable, the only thing that didn't work for me is the follow me mode. Follow me didnt work at all, the sub menu opened and I did set the height and then apply and that was it. The drone wouldn't move from the hover position at all. Any ideas gentlemen and ladies?

There is a video where an Autel rep says the price is not set yet but will be sub $1000.00

Dave
Yes, Saw that. So that makes it even better. I am interested to find the actual specs on the camera, in the same vid he says that the camera is better than on their current drone (which is 12mp)

Yes, it's a matter of you not being able to see the inner workings of the DJI go software as well as you not having an understanding of how and what communications are taking place between the flight controller and remote control. If you ever had to build a UAV Ground station or antenna tracker to keep your radio antenna and video receiver antenna directly pointed at your drone or aircraft you would understand this a whole lot more.

If the Follow me mode in DJI did work based purely on the GPS signal, I and as well as others would have already made every attempt to figure out how to install or attach a better GPS unit to the remote controller to achieve getting the drone to actually follow while moving fast, but unfortunately no it's primarily using the GPS only for failsafe and updating the home-point as the remote controller is moving.

Sorry I am getting your ARTVA or is it ARVA confused with other rescue becons and no satellite communication is not very good under the snow or in adverse weather conditions. The ARVA appears to use radio signal antennas to help rescuers locate the beacon, which doesn't seem to me to be anymore advanced than using signal strength to locate your crashed drone via it's remote control signal or RSSI.

Written communications are notoriously prone to misunderstanding about their tone and conveyed sentiment, but I seem to sense a bit of hostility in your answer. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry. If I'm right, I'm also sorry, because it is certainly not the spirit I intended to give to the discussion. What I'm trying to do here is figuring out those "inner workings" you refer to (which may be unknown, but certainly are no black magic and must obey the laws of physics, don't they?) by discussion and comparison of experiences and knowledge.
You say that it's a matter of me not understanding, which is absolutely correct (that's indeed why I started the discussion, with the intent of improving my understing, not just clarify that I don't have one...). And yet, you offer me no possible explanation that can help me (or you) better understand what's going on.
Here are a few facts and considerations I can offer you.
- to the best of my knowledge, there is no way of identifying the direction of a EM source by a single point measurement of the emitted field. I wouldn't know how to measure or calculate it.
- the case of the ARTVA (or ARVA... I also don't know the exact difference) is indeed very different. As I mention in the first post, the ARVA can't identify, from any point, the direction of the source. All it can do is detect the direction of the field lines in the position of the receiver, and follow them to the source through a curved path (see Redirect Notice, where the source is in the center: from any point in the drawing all you can do is walk along a red line until you get to the center). This is certainly not what you would like your drone to do in "Follow Me' mode (a side consideration: if there was a smart way of directly identifying the direction of the source, maybe they would use it for such a critical application as avalanche rescue...)
- you would agree with me that from a logical point of view, the fact that you (and others) did not try to attach a better GPS unit to the remote controller (which seems hard to do in the first place) is certainly not an explanation for the fact that the Follow Me has to not rely on GPS. You are not able with you decisions to determine how DJI engineers designed the Follow Me mode.
- I don't see why you seem to consider GPS not adequate. The Spark and the Mavic are already relying on their onboard GPS for navigation and stabilization in general. Assuming that the mobile unit attached to the remote has a GPS unit of comparable quality (which I would assume is true for most modern mobile devices), then asking the drone to follow the GPS position of the mobile device must necessarily have performance very close to asking it to over in place. In the latter case is comparing its real-time GPS reading with a previous one, in the former is comparing it's realtime GPS reading with the one provided by the mobile device. Basically the same thing if the precision of the two units is comparable.

The above are my motivations to be skeptical about the use of RSSI for Follow Me, but it may very well be that I'm ignoring something. I would be glad if you could suggest me a possible mechanism (based on what I understand is your previous experience bulding "UAV Ground station or antenna tracker to keep your radio antenna and video receiver antenna directly pointed at your drone") by which the drone could use the radio signal to follow the remote. That would really help me to understand better!

Thanks

Giacomo

Reactions: The Editor
Doesnt the follow me mode need a barometer in the phone of tablet? It worked for me once with Sony Z3 but only once and then it stopped and hovered.

There is a video where an Autel rep says the price is not set yet but will be sub $1000.00

Dave
Yes, Saw that. So that makes it even better. I am interested to find the actual specs on the camera, in the same vid he says that the camera is better than on their current drone (which is 12mp

As per giac's post above - DJI's follow me does not rely in any way in received signal strength. It cant. With an omni directional dipole there is no way of determining the EIRP fall off in order to computate a 'follow me' mode.
DJI simply uses GPS/Glonass positional data of the connected device (tablet) which it cross references with the aircraft's data. It is then a simple matter of working out the vectors the remote/tablet/phone is moving and sending the corresponding attitude and control data to the aircrafts flight controller to make the necessary adjustments.

As per giac's post above - DJI's follow me does not rely in any way in received signal strength. It cant. With an omni directional dipole there is no way of determining the EIRP fall off in order to computate a 'follow me' mode.
DJI simply uses GPS/Glonass positional data of the connected device (tablet) which it cross references with the aircraft's data. It is then a simple matter of working out the vectors the remote/tablet/phone is moving and sending the corresponding attitude and control data to the aircrafts flight controller to make the necessary adjustments.

Guys so the question is...
1) Can spark support the Follow me Mode?
2) or is there a way we can somehow figure out a way to make it work?

So I tried it on the full moded app and it didnt work, the drone just sat there at the altitude and thats it. Any ideas or suggestions?

Guys so the question is...
1) Can spark support the Follow me Mode?
2) or is there a way we can somehow figure out a way to make it work?

So I tried it on the full moded app and it didnt work, the drone just sat there at the altitude and thats it. Any ideas or suggestions?
Did you tried using the Hand gestures mode for follow me? See if it's work.

Did you tried using the Hand gestures mode for follow me? See if it's work.

Yes, gestures all work no problem. Active track also works from the app. Pretty much all the features of the intelligent flights work flawlessly the only intelligent mode that is not working for me is GPS based follow me mode. The Waypoints mode is awesome.

I took my Spark out today for a fly and used this modded app with OTG- everything worked perfectly, really solid! In fact, it was better than the standard app. I almost had a compass error flyaway and had to bring my drone in on the standard app and wifi flight. I've not tried out the mavic modes yet, but I did use tapfly and quickshots successfully.

Reactions: Jacob

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502