Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Distance with spark

130m distance, and 50m height is all I’ve managed so far. I’d thought I’d get better distance to be honest. I need to do some research on understanding how to get more distance. I’m using an iPhone 8 and the DJI remote. I switched to 2.4ghz last night (I need to check it stays on that now ?).

Also, is the distance measured from the home point, or from the controller ?

I don't understand how the range can be signifacantly better with an iphone compared to android, when the signal is transmitted by the RC. It doesn't make any sense.
The aircraft control range should be the same provided you are using an OTG cable with the android phone. Think there may be some variation with the image though depending on the amount of bloatware installed and spec of the phone.

The aircraft control range should be the same provided you are using an OTG cable with the android phone. Think there may be some variation with the image though depending on the amount of bloatware installed and spec of the phone.

There are numerous posts about this phenomenon. For example on the first page. How is 700 m range possible with 5.8 gHz in CE mode. The official specs states, that the maxiumim range with 5.8 gHz is around 300 m (CE).

There are numerous posts about this phenomenon. For example on the first page. How is 700 m range possible with 5.8 gHz in CE mode. The official specs states, that the maxiumim range with 5.8 gHz is around 300 m (CE).
Not sure how he got 700m on 5.8 in ce mode.
I was out today in a park (surrounded by houses) and got 270m on 5.8 auto mode then manually selected channel 9 and took it to 370m before video went choppy. Prob could have gone further but it would have been taking me over houses. Think the location and surrounding RF noise makes a big difference. I’m running on an iPhone 6+ without using OTG

anyone tried the S8 Exynos with the Spark? I also wonder if a rooted android phone can make any difference

Got 1970 metres with my only try with my new parabolic reflectors.. Regularly get 1500 mts without. Have gone 400 meters up. (and before anyone wants to take umbrage, that was in uncontrolled airspace in outback Australia where the only aircraft are at 40,000ft.)

Reactions: grantspark
In Chuuk recently I set max distance to 2000m and achieved 1998m over water. Zero interference, direct LOS, no OTG, no parabolic range extender, using RC with iPad Mini 2

Same location popped up to 500m max altitude.

No legislation in Chuuk, and only about 2 flights a week

The best *range* should always be with 2.4ghz, being a longer wavelength than 5.8 (barring heavy interference on 2.4 of course). Quality however, seems to be with 5.8 (at shorter distances obviously). Atleast that's what I've always been told regarding theory.

I'm about to homebrew a set of monster flat panels and helicals to mess around with that will mount on a tripod and feed back to the remote via coax. Hoping to get atleast 20+ dbi if my math isn't too far off. Check out Adam Savage's setup sometime! I'm *almost * as crazy, haha.

Hello i flew spark today from a different location and finally took it to 527 meters distance height was around 70m with very less video lag... i think we all have to understand this that spark is a 500 meter drone and this is it... u cant compare its range with mavic..

Hello i flew spark today from a different location and finally took it to 527 meters distance height was around 70m with very less video lag... i think we all have to understand this that spark is a 500 meter drone and this is it... u cant compare its range with mavic..

Sorry, Spark is a 3000m drone

Attachments

• 20171108_151922000_iOS.png
    20171108_151922000_iOS.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 30
I got 750 metres distance from the RC @ 80 metres high on 5.8ghz using an iPad just as the screen with no OTG cable...

Only made it about 150m in CE mode, finally got FCC working today and got to 800m before I turned back as the drone was a speck at that point.

The big thing with distance on WI-FI is to choose a 2.4ghz channel with the smallest bar just before flying as it will be specific to the place and time and may not be the same as the last time you flew at the location.
I recently flew as above and was fairly pleased with the distance in my rural CE area. You could expect to see another 200/300m and although the signal is shown as poor and possibly laggy it still works. Another critical thing is to point the antennas correctly as shown in the manual so the face of the antenna is towards the AC.
I found I got warnings of low signal but Could fly beyond and the signal would even return by 're aligning the antenna with the AC. It has to be accepted that there's places you won't get more than 200/300m due to interference and places you will easily get more.
In reality 500m with the spark is more than enough for my needs to get good photos and videos of stuff.

Finally someone who has worded it easily for us noobs! I've received my Spark and plan on test flight tomorrow if the weather permits and once i've charged batteries and calibrated etc. I'd purchased an OTG to plug direct into my iphone 7 plus and I'd read about issues but from what you're saying I can just have a search of the wifi and select the best channel to improve distance! I plan on doing a lot of rural so shouldn't have much if any interference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast