Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Distance with spark

Sparky786

Join
Sep 8, 2017
The distance I have got with the spark is 385 metre and height about 300 metre.
What about you guys?

I'm in Johannesburg, South Africa. I use a Samsung J7 Prime. I've tried the otg cable. It is slighty better. The max distance I've had is about 330m. Quite disappointed [emoji53]

The big thing with distance on WI-FI is to choose a 2.4ghz channel with the smallest bar just before flying as it will be specific to the place and time and may not be the same as the last time you flew at the location.
I recently flew as above and was fairly pleased with the distance in my rural CE area. You could expect to see another 200/300m and although the signal is shown as poor and possibly laggy it still works. Another critical thing is to point the antennas correctly as shown in the manual so the face of the antenna is towards the AC.
I found I got warnings of low signal but Could fly beyond and the signal would even return by 're aligning the antenna with the AC. It has to be accepted that there's places you won't get more than 200/300m due to interference and places you will easily get more.
In reality 500m with the spark is more than enough for my needs to get good photos and videos of stuff.

The big thing with distance on WI-FI is to choose a 2.4ghz channel with the smallest bar just before flying as it will be specific to the place and time and may not be the same as the last time you flew at the location.
I recently flew as above and was fairly pleased with the distance in my rural CE area. You could expect to see another 200/300m and although the signal is shown as poor and possibly laggy it still works. Another critical thing is to point the antennas correctly as shown in the manual so the face of the antenna is towards the AC.
I found I got warnings of low signal but Could fly beyond and the signal would even return by 're aligning the antenna with the AC. It has to be accepted that there's places you won't get more than 200/300m due to interference and places you will easily get more.
In reality 500m with the spark is more than enough for my needs to get good photos and videos of stuff.
I was very happy with 385m which was pretty far for me.
But the new firmware had some faults, how far do you have to be from metal 3rd??

The distance I have got with the spark is 385 metre and height about 300 metre.
What about you guys?
As I am sure you are aware 120m/400ft agl is the legal limit you are allowed to fly in the UK under the air navigation order.
Flying at heights around 3 times the legal limit is both irresponsible, potentially dangerous and stupid.
Do us all a favour and fly responsibly and within the law!

Last edited:
Finally i took a risk and covered a distance of 400 meters... transmission signal lost many times

I was very happy with 385m which was pretty far for me.
But the new firmware had some faults, how far do you have to be from metal 3rd??
Where do u live sparky786 and what faults u have found after new firmware?

Just to clarify I don't and never have flown my spark or other quads above 100m as I understand the danger it poses to Aircraft. As to my background I've been flying RC aircraft for over 20 years and quads for the last 4 years and I'm a member of the BMFA. The reason I mention this is so you dont think I'm some hooligan who doesn't give a monkey's about the safety of others or this sport.
However I must say the CAA drone code and CAA regulations seem open to interpretation or confusing. The limitation of 400ft would appear to apply to drones or RC aircraft over 7kg. Yes the drone code says not to fly over 120m or 400ft but What CAP or ANO states that limit without the weight being over 7kg? In fact the 2016 ANO gives a greater max height which I dont want to quote here unless some clown decides to think its ok. I'm more than happy with the 120m limit and abide by it at all times but I can see how it's confusing for some.

Last edited:
Reactions: rehan and Sparky786
Just to clarify I don't and never have flown my spark or other quads above 100m as I understand the danger it poses to Aircraft. As to my background I've been flying RC aircraft for over 20 years and quads for the last 4 years and I'm a member of the BMFA. The reason I mention this is so you dont think I'm some hooligan who doesn't give a monkey's about the safety of others or this sport.
However I must say the CAA drone code and CAA regulations seem open to interpretation or confusing. The limitation of 400ft would appear to apply to drones or RC aircraft over 7kg. Yes the drone code says not to fly over 120m or 400ft but What CAP states that limit without the weight being over 7kg? I'm more than happy with the 120m limit and abide by it at all times but I can see how it's confusing for some.
Also what happened to the role of the spotter it seems to have disappeared from the current code.
Sure I do agree with you.

Reactions: rehan
Where do u live sparky786 and what faults u have found after new firmware?
I'm in London fella. I only found the fault with the new update. The sensors don't work properly it don't seem to hold position. Even tho I have fly with Atti mode but now it goes mad and starts shooting towards any direction.
What about you?

I'm in London fella. I only found the fault with the new update. The sensors don't work properly it don't seem to hold position. Even tho I have fly with Atti mode but now it goes mad and starts shooting towards any direction.
What about you?

Too many bro..
Transmission signal lags/ lost,

Battery % stuck at some point and does not show that it is discharging,

Cant switch properly for 5.8G to 2.4G,

some time RC does not response in clicking pic (either tap in the mobile phone or hit the button in RC) or go into options or switching modes cam and video..

All of this is happening somehow.. and i am not sure if spark is okay or not...

Too many bro..
Transmission signal lags/ lost,

Battery % stuck at some point and does not show that it is discharging,

Cant switch properly for 5.8G to 2.4G,

some time RC does not response in clicking pic (either tap in the mobile phone or hit the button in RC) or go into options or switching modes cam and video..

All of this is happening somehow.. and i am not sure if spark is okay or not...
Like I said downgrade your firmware.mine is sorted now. The only thing now is the map is playing up, gets stuck.might downgrade the dji go 4 app

The role of competent observer is in ANO 2016 but never made the Drone Code.

Like I said downgrade your firmware.mine is sorted now. The only thing now is the map is playing up, gets stuck.might downgrade the dji go 4 app
Yes i updated 4.1.15 yesterday i will give it a try then downgrade firmware...

Hey! My current record is 718m on 5.8GHz using iPhone 7+ and (obviously :D) remote controller. I did this on huge open space (meadows) right outside of my hometown. I live in Slovakia, which means I'm on CE mode.
dolet.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rehan

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers