Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Dear DJI - Please add RAW

Dear PilotChris, here it is not DJI ;)
But yes, it would be nice, unfortunately DJI is not that much taking care of what we say here and we have no idea if it would be so easy.

Reactions: The Editor
Dear PilotChris, here it is not DJI ;)
But yes, it would be nice, unfortunately DJI is not that much taking care of what we say here and we have no idea if it would be so easy.

Yea, I realize that, but it would be a nice thing to have. Editing JPGs is no fun. o_O

While we are not affiliated with DJI they do have employees who are members here. ;)

The camera in the Spark is supposedly the same as in the Mavic and the Mavic does DNG. I understand the limitation of 1080p vs 4k in the Mavic because the Spark only has a 2 axis gimbal and uses the extra pixels for image stabilization. However, if it's the same sensor, there shouldn't be any reason to not deliver a DNG file.

Reactions: PilotChris
The camera in the Spark is supposedly the same as in the Mavic and the Mavic does DNG. I understand the limitation of 1080p vs 4k in the Mavic because the Spark only has a 2 axis gimbal and uses the extra pixels for image stabilization. However, if it's the same sensor, there shouldn't be any reason to not deliver a DNG file.

Agreed... I'm in some software business, just some additional code would be required.

There is a Spark feature request thread at DJI forums. RAW was requested many times there.

I cannot understand why useful features were removed from the Spark firmware (RAW, flight modes, flat video profile). Some can be unlocked via a hack, so the code is actually there, just locked.

It can't be that DJI fears to canibalize its Mavic. The Mavic is 4k and not that much more expensive. That alone gives it a save market niche. Plus its better range.

Most probably it is also related to their initial customer target (see their marketing on their web site).
Such customers target don't know about RAW file and would found it annoying.
There is hope it come later, on some older product (PH3A b.e.) there has been nice surprise to get 2.7k.

Most probably it is also related to their initial customer target (see their marketing on their web site).
Such customers target don't know about RAW file and would found it annoying.
You may be right. But really?
Did DJI *really* think anybody launches a noisy, expensive, drone-rule regulated tool into the air to only shoot selfies? And RAW is on iPhones, so even this target audience knows about.

I cannot understand why useful features were removed from the Spark firmware (RAW, flight modes, flat video profile). Some can be unlocked via a hack, so the code is actually there, just locked.

If you put all of the Mavic features on a Spark - why would anyone buy a Mavic?

Do we have anything from dji stating this "spark cam = mavic cam"

Almost all DJI quads use the same sensor with the exception of the Phantom 4 Pro & Inspire. Keep in mind the Spark has a different lens setup (MP = FOV 78.8º 28mm f/2.2 vs. Spark = FOV 81.9º 25mm f/2.6) and a much slower video bitrate. The Spark is most definitely marketed towards the new users and the younger crowd. DJI has added features to other models as they matured so you never know, they may add more functionality to the Spark in the future (or Spark 2). If you need something better than a Spark for media work it is available from DJI in other models.

Reactions: Ducatioso
Do we have anything from dji stating this "spark cam = mavic cam"
Rick at Drone Valley said in a video not too long ago that the replacement part number was the same for both, so if it's the same part number if you're ordering one, I would assume it's the same hardware.

Rick at Drone Valley said in a video not too long ago that the replacement part number was the same for both, so if it's the same part number if you're ordering one, I would assume it's the same hardware.
You need to buy the correct parts for the correct bird... just because the sensor is the same does not mean the rest is compatible. A Mavic Pro camera will not work on a Spark. As I noted above it has a completely different spec sheet aside from the sensor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast