Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Compass/IMU calibration

Mike Pollan

Join
Mar 21, 2018
Compass: Turn the drone on its axis? Or hold and you Spin?

That is the question.. Some say spin the drone on its own axis, some say to hold it and spin yourself..

Also, when? (The when part is for both IMU and Compass)

Axis if "better" but I've found it doesn't really matter
When requested by the app
-I also recalibrate both if my aircraft is acting "strange" - not hovering steady or moving in a swirling toilet bowl motion

Compass: Turn the drone on its axis? Or hold and you Spin?
I hold and spin. Both methods are okay and there is no advantage to either.

Also, when? (The when part is for both IMU and Compass)
Neither need to be calibrated often.

Check out the Spark Compass Calibration Guide for more details on when to calibrate the compass.

The IMU should be calibrated if prompted to do so in DJI GO. It's also a good idea to do it if your Spark is in a major crash, takes a hard hit, or is not able to hover in place steadily (when flying with GPS in good lightning conditions).

Regarding compass calibration - Does anyone know if it matters which way you rotate with the spark?

Also, when you flip to the second position, does it matter what way the spark is facing or as long as it's on it's side it doesn't matter?

I was flying the other day and mid-flight I got a compass error and it went into ATTI mode - luckily I was able to manually fly it home until it re-gained it's telemetry a minute later or so.

I was wondering if it was something I did during the last compass calibration (which was done in the grass away from metal objects)

Regarding compass calibration - Does anyone know if it matters which way you rotate with the spark?
It'll make no difference if you rotate clockwise or counterclockwise.

Also, when you flip to the second position, does it matter what way the spark is facing or as long as it's on it's side it doesn't matter?
Most people face the nose down. You could also face the nose to the side (as seen in some DJI documentation).

On the second part of the calibration, the image shows the Drone rotated on its side, but the instructions state to point the nose down. Both give the same results then?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bornzero2none