Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Circular nylon landing pads

John Lauer

Join
Jan 4, 2018
Who uses the circular nylon, blue and orange landing pads with the H on them and why? I am newbie and am trying to figure out if I need one? Does the color matter? Can the drone locate the Home position easier with one? Is there some intelligence in the drone to locate the circular disk?

Who uses the circular nylon, blue and orange landing pads with the H on them and why?
Landing pads are useful when you must take off from surfaces that are wet/dirty (e.g. sand) or to help tamp down tall grass so it does not contact the props. They can also help the Precision Landing feature find the original take off spot if there are no recognizable patterns around the landing area (like when taking off in an open field of grass). If you'll be flying in any of those scenarios, then it would be a good idea to pick up a landing pad to use as needed.

Here are some commonly used landing pads:

Can the drone locate the Home position easier with one?
If the Spark is returning home automatically, it will attempt to use the downward sensors to locate the exact spot where it took off from. Having any type of recognizable pattern around that area will help the Spark land more precisely.

Per the Spark manual, here are some other things that affect the accuracy of the Precision Landing feature:

Manual.jpg

Is there some intelligence in the drone to locate the circular disk?
No.

Reactions: DesertWindAero
WOW, didn't know those were that expensive. Couldn't you use one of those car sunscreen shades?

WOW, didn't know those were that expensive. Couldn't you use one of those car sunscreen shades?
LOL...Hell, you not need an "Official" landing pad. Many of us made our own. Cardboard and spray paint.

Reactions: DesertWindAero
Who uses the circular nylon, blue and orange landing pads with the H on them and why? I am newbie and am trying to figure out if I need one? Does the color matter? Can the drone locate the Home position easier with one? Is there some intelligence in the drone to locate the circular disk?

I pull the Weathertec liner out 0f the back of the SUV

With the Spark, compared to larger drones, a landing pad is really not necessary since it's very easy to hand launch and land.

The PGYTech 55cm landing pad is more than sufficient size for the Spark.
PGY 55CM Fast-fold Landing Parking Apron Pad for DJI MAVIC PRO 3DR S6 RC Drone | eBay

If you have a larger drone in addition to the Spark, there's a 75cm version.
PGY 75CM Fast-fold Landing Apron Pad for DJI Mavic Pro Phantom 3 4 Pro + Drone | eBay
I was gifted the PGYTEC 55cm pad from DJI when I bought the fly more combo. Do you know if the reflective tape strips will fall off when collapsing the pad? I haven’t put them on yet to try myself.

I was gifted the PGYTEC 55cm pad from DJI when I bought the fly more combo. Do you know if the reflective tape strips will fall off when collapsing the pad? I haven’t put them on yet to try myself.
I didn't put them on. They didn't look like they would stay stuck to the landing pad.The adhesive seemed weak. Plus, the arc was different than the pad. And I don't have any plans to need reflectivity on the on landing pad.

Reactions: Chris Zeller
I didn't put them on. They didn't look like they would stay stuck to the landing pad.The adhesive seemed weak. Plus, the arc was different than the pad. And I don't have any plans to need reflectivity on the on landing pad.
I kind of just wanted that little bling factor. However, I appreciate your response and will not try it.

Reactions: Chris Zeller
No it does not have RTH connected to this.
Pros: nice gadget, you feel like your onboard when landing on it using fpv.
Cons: If you are flying on higher clifs (ie beaches on ground) you are pretty much level with Coast Guard Helicopter. Having this on ground can easily track where is the drone pilot. You mess up on flight colided with them, they know where to look up to.

Who needs a landing pad? I (try) to land on my 12"x10" carrying case. :)

No it does not have RTH connected to this.
Pros: nice gadget, you feel like your onboard when landing on it using fpv.
Cons: If you are flying on higher clifs (ie beaches on ground) you are pretty much level with Coast Guard Helicopter. Having this on ground can easily track where is the drone pilot. You mess up on flight colided with them, they know where to look up to.
Seems as if you posted in the wrong thread.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis