Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Anyone successfully put a filter (or any kind) on the odd-shaped Spark camera?

Sorry yeah a fix for the issues with the sunnylife filters when trying to take a pano. The plastic at the back blocks the movement of the gimbal for the upward photos of a gimbal.
Same issue as me.
Sport mode and Pano when it tries to point up.
It will eventually burn out the motor, yeah?
Only choice is this mod.

I’m guessing they have safety’s built into the motors. But it can’t be good.

I’m guessing they have safety’s built into the motors. But it can’t be good.
Yeah. You see it trying to go up and it bounces up and down and it keeps trying until I cancel the pano.
You can tilt your camera down a few degrees on 9 shot pano so the top row of photos are aligned straight ahead (so then the clip doesn't clash)
21 shot, it always goes to highest angle so you can't do 21 pano with these filters.
I might try the fix with some fine sand paper this weekend.

Good luck! Curious to see how yours turns out!!

The PolarPro filters are great! I just like the quality of their filters.

Is it okay to use filters becuase DJI does not recommend to use any of thiry party filters n all... if u have used can u guys please share the results...

I use polarpro filters. I lost my ND16 filter when I took my spark climbing. I think it was lost whilst on the ground. I think it was down to user error, not design flaw.

I've tried once the FreeWell filters and with video they are ok, but with photos i got a strong vignetting on the corners. I'm expectig to try a second time to see if the vignetting is due to default placement of the filters or is a default of the filter itself.

Reactions: rehan
Is it okay to use filters becuase DJI does not recommend to use any of thiry party filters n all... if u have used can u guys please share the results...

It's fairly common practice for equipment manufacturers like DJI to recommend against the use of third-party products with their gear, as they are unable to account for the way another company's products will behave in conjunction with their own. Warranties are usually only in place to guard against things like manufacturing defects, which damage from a third-party product would not fall under. In practice, though, it is unlikely to see damage resulting from something like a filter. Filters do not affect the drone's signal strength, software, or in-flight maneuverability, and issues with a drone are usually related to one or more of those things.

That said, it's definitely good to do some research and read up on reviews before buying anything. The last thing you want when flying is to be distracted by outside concerns, about your gear or otherwise.

- Oliver from PolarPro

Reactions: BlancoRob and rehan
It's fairly common practice for equipment manufacturers like DJI to recommend against the use of third-party products with their gear, as they are unable to account for the way another company's products will behave in conjunction with their own. Warranties are usually only in place to guard against things like manufacturing defects, which damage from a third-party product would not fall under. In practice, though, it is unlikely to see damage resulting from something like a filter. Filters do not affect the drone's signal strength, software, or in-flight maneuverability, and issues with a drone are usually related to one or more of those things.

That said, it's definitely good to do some research and read up on reviews before buying anything. The last thing you want when flying is to be distracted by outside concerns, about your gear or otherwise.

- Oliver from PolarPro
Thanks oliver for the feedback.. but i was concerned about the gimbal.. i heard it can give gimbal overload error.. and the other thing that i much impact can a filter provide in making quality footage... this is another important concern..

Here's my quick review of the Sandmarc Aerial Filters for the DJI Spark:

And sorry for my awkward English! :D

Last edited:
Thanks oliver for the feedback.. but i was concerned about the gimbal.. i heard it can give gimbal overload error.. and the other thing that i much impact can a filter provide in making quality footage... this is another important concern..

We did have some reports of the gimbal dipping down during flight with the first batch of Spark filters, and in some instances it seems the drone's software interpreted this as a gimbal overload error. We temporarily took the filters off the market, and were able to determine that this was being caused by a flaw with the first batch. We subsequently ensured the same flaw was not present in the second batch and re-released the filters. Those early filters have since been removed from circulation, so we would not expect anyone to have any trouble with our Spark filters moving forward.

At no point did we receive any reports of damage to the gimbal as a result of the trouble. While it is good to be careful in handling the gimbal and camera, the gimbal is designed to survive fairly high wind speeds, and the sharp turns the drone can make in Sport Mode. Either of those situations will place more stress on the camera and motors than a filter could.

In terms of helping produce quality footage, filters are a very useful tool to have. The Spark camera has a fixed aperture, so control over exposure is limited to shutter speed and ISO only. This can be restrictive if you are wanting to use a specific shutter speed or limit the noise in the image, or if you are attempting to shoot with the cinematic motion blur that is popular for drone video. An ND filter can provide the additional exposure control needed in scenarios like those. Most cameras also cannot filter out glare, so a polarizer filter is a good solution for that.

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions don't hesitate to message us, or send us an email at [email protected].

- Oliver from PolarPro

Reactions: BlancoRob
An ND filter can provide the additional exposure control needed in scenarios like those. Most cameras also cannot filter out glare, so a polarizer filter is a good solution for that.
....to go sideways on my own thread: ....what would the equivalent ND number be for your fixed Spark polarizer unit ? From my understanding of polarizers, you will get some equivalent ND effect...or, am I wrong?

*On edit: ....its nice to be able to discuss technicals with the manufacturer's representative on a Forum :)

As a general rule, your shutter speed becomes twice as long when you put a polarizer on a lense, so its like a ND2 with glare removal :)

....to go sideways on my own thread: ....what would the equivalent ND number be for your fixed Spark polarizer unit ? From my understanding of polarizers, you will get some equivalent ND effect...or, am I wrong?

*On edit: ....its nice to be able to discuss technicals with the manufacturer's representative on a Forum :)

Being able to speak to our customers directly is helpful for us as well, some of the best feedback we receive comes from the various forums we're involved in.

It's true that polarizer filters effectively have an ND value. They typically darken the image by 1.3 - 1.6 stops at max polarization, and the fixed polarizer for the Spark is no exception. This places them close to an ND4 filter, which darkens everything by 2 stops. The difference is that with a polarizer, the darkening occurs as the result of the removal of polarized light, whereas ND filters affect all light in the image equally. ND-PL filters are a little different because of the hybrid construction, the polarizing aspect in thoseonl +/- 0.15 stops depending on how much glare is being removed.

- Oliver from PolarPro

Reactions: Silversand
Thx. Those filters looks different from the ones in the shop. In the shop they have clips to fix on your gimball. Those from the link seems only to be placed on your camera. Altough they look nice. Are those the newer ones?

The images on that page feature an older design for the filters that we opted not to use for the final version. The informational content on the page is all still accurate, but the final design for the Spark filters is the one you see in our web store:

PolarPro Spark Filters

Our apologies for any confusion about that.

- Oliver from PolarPro

+1 for the latest PolarPro filters. Bought the Cinema 6 pack two days ago. Tried them out yesterday (a rare cloudless, windless sky here in the UK) and they performed superbly. Easy to install, easy to remove, stayed in place despite some aggressive movements in 'Sport' mode.

It's true that polarizer filters effectively have an ND value. They typically darken the image by 1.3 - 1.6 stops at max polarization, and the fixed polarizer for the Spark is no exception. This places them close to an ND4 filter, which darkens everything by 2 stops. The difference is that with a polarizer, the darkening occurs as the result of the removal of polarized light, whereas ND filters affect all light in the image equally. ND-PL filters are a little different because of the hybrid construction, the polarizing aspect in thoseonl +/- 0.15 stops depending on how much glare is being removed.

Excellent. Just what I was looking for. Thanks Oliver!

Cheers,
Derek-

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis