Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

A terrible decision..

homeyjay

Join
Jul 19, 2018
Although I’ve had my Spark for only a few days, it seems to have developed a fault (confirmed by the dealer) and it seems that I have to return it.
They’ve told me that they have a reconditioned Mavic Pro with a full 1 year DJI warranty for around £200 more.
I’m really tempted - I was really struggling with the battery life on my Spark so I was about to order another battery anyway so that effectively makes the difference £150.
What would you guys do?

There is no right answer here. I own both and I use them for different purposes. A couple reasons I like the Spark, in my case, is that the size makes it a piece of cake to take with. Another advantage for me is that the Spark is quieter for my neighborhood. I can take it out and fly it anytime and no one complains. I have not had and complaints about the MP but a couple "comments" that it was rather loud.

Thanks, I didn’t realise that the MP was so much noisier. I looked on YouTube but it seemed to be just a different pitch (deeper) rather than more noise! Still, I’ve never actually heard a MP in real life so...

I saw and heard a Mavic Platinum on a French campsite last month, couldn't believe how quiet it was compared to the Spark.

Maybe see whether the Platinum props will fit on the MPro and make it quieter, someone here will know?

Spark > all other drones imo. The size along with palm launch/land make it better than anything else for my needs. However I am an avid traveler.

Definitely no right answer just depends on your preference both are different drones with different capabilities. Just go for what you want.

Refurbed Mavic pro with 1 yr. warranty for £200 more? I'd jump on it! It's such a more capable system that can produce pro quality video. But that's just me (I'm into photography/videography). Like others have said, the Spark is smaller and less obtrusive. If you take a Spark to a park you won't get much attention since people think it's a toy.

Although I’ve had my Spark for only a few days, it seems to have developed a fault (confirmed by the dealer) and it seems that I have to return it.
They’ve told me that they have a reconditioned Mavic Pro with a full 1 year DJI warranty for around £200 more.
I’m really tempted - I was really struggling with the battery life on my Spark so I was about to order another battery anyway so that effectively makes the difference £150.
What would you guys do?
If you have never flown a drone before, and can afford to buy a MP a year later than get the spark, then MP later.
If you intend to only ever purchase one, then MP, but be sure to take the time to learn to pilot the drone before taking on the myriad of camera settings.
the MP is a significantly better drone, but is more complex.
Regarding noise, don't fly in the neighborhood

This noise thing bothers me more than anything else! I’ve watched a zillion vids showing the noise levels but the MP doesn’t sound much louder at all! Is it really that much noisier on the ground and in the air?

Also, I’m just thinking about the new laws coming in on the 30th July - 120m height and 500m distance being legal maximum distances that you can fly. Won’t most of the MP’s capabilities be wasted in the UK if one wants to keep it legal?

Hearing is believing. Isnt there some club of drone fanatics in your neighbourhood where you can experience the noise levels first hand/ear? I ran into several for my country on Facebook, which have gatherings in the weekend to fly together. Maybe there are a few in the UK as well. Just a thought.

Sadly no. I tried to find a local club but all I could find was a model aircraft club with a ‘no droners’ policy!

What would you guys do?
get it.almost same price as new battery. a no brainer

Spark is easy to carry on holidays and easy to launch out of your hand. It takes really nice still images but only ordinary video, especially panning shots.

MP has a 3 axis gimbal and takes better video.

Spark uses Wifi for communication and sometimes experiences loss of signal that can be very annoying.

For the best all around imaging the P4 is way in front of both. P4 is also much bigger and worse for holidays etc.

So what do you want to do?

Well, went for the Mavic Pro. Got it yesterday, flew it for 2 mins and it then started pi**ing down. Now sitting staring at it and then staring at the outside (still pi**ing down and high winds). Bloody typical Welsh weather!

Haha, no. Was banking on the great British drought continuing till I played extensively with the Mavic. Grrrrr..

This noise thing bothers me more than anything else!

If low noise is very important for you, get a Parrot Anafi. There is nothing in DJI‘s portfolio that comes close, not even the Platinum.

Well you sacrify other things ...

I say this as a guy who owns a Spark, Air and Anafi.

Actually, I found that the Mavic was quieter that the Spark. The pitch of the noise is lower and doesn’t sound so much like a bunch of angry bees!
This is purely subjective, of course.

Reactions: suprPHREAK
Thanks, I didn’t realise that the MP was so much noisier. I looked on YouTube but it seemed to be just a different pitch (deeper) rather than more noise! Still, I’ve never actually heard a MP in real life so...
To me, my Spark is much noisier than my MPP.

Actually, I found that the Mavic was quieter that the Spark. The pitch of the noise is lower and doesn’t sound so much like a bunch of angry bees!
This is purely subjective, of course.
This is exactly it. The pitch sounds louder, when objectively it isn't.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena