Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Zoom

so if I had a Mzoom and shot in 4k and used the optical zoom x2 so no loss so far? and then zoomed in post would that work?
It works, but you can do it while flying.
Switch to 1080p/30, and zoom 4x, and you're done!

Also N2Z is quieter than MP (and Spark), so you can be closer to your subject.

Reactions: chris pascoe
If 4x zoom of M2Z isn't enough for your needs, then zooming manually, in post, a 4k video, is useless too.

As said before, you should go for more "pro" (and costly) solutions.

So whats the point of 4/5k I thought the resolution was such that you could crop and zoom and end up with a reasonable print?

It works, but you can do it while flying.
Switch to 1080p/30, and zoom 4x, and you're done!

Also N2Z is quieter than MP (and Spark), so you can be closer to your subject.

ah now we are getting somewhere, so mavic zoom fully cranked in in 1080 would be what in optical terms? ish

Thanks for your post. So what would that 960x540 image look like.......rubbish? If as you say it's x2 then that would only put me at a 100 meters (so to speak) and still not very close. I guess I need a quiet drone?

960x540 is slightly better than "DVD quality." It will look fine when viewing on a smartphone or tablet. I would find full-screen on a 24" computer display to be problematic.

Also, keep in mind that YouTube supports 4K HDR at 60fps with the right hardware. What may look acceptable today will suffer significantly in comparison to what will be commonly available in the not-so-far future.

And you are correct ... i was focused on the Spark's (un)suitability for your needs rather than the M2Z. Apologies. The M2Z with its 2X optical zoom will allow you to get an effective zoom of 4x (2x optical/2x digital) at 1080p when shooting at 4K resolution. And at 8x (2x optical/4x digital), you'll get 540p. I'm not familiar with the M2Z, though, and suspect that anything beyond 4X will need to be performed in post. I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong :D

ah now we are getting somewhere, so mavic zoom fully cranked in in 1080 would be what in optical terms? ish
M2Z has an 24mm equivalent lens.

Filming in 4k, you can have a 2x zoom, it's a 48mm equivalent.

Filming in 1080p/30hz, you can have an additional lossless 2x zoom, it's a 96 mm equivalent.
This is the same with what you want to do in post.

96mm is a 2x magnification in binocular/scope equivalent. Bigger magnification means bigger lenses, so bigger drones (in bigger costs).

You can crop image further in post, to 720p or less, but with a significant loss of quality.

Thanks everyone, I think I've got it. So the M2Z will be my best option with cost in mind. I had not realized how many stupid drone operators post films of them selves scaring animals. I guess it was always going to happen. personally if I can't get the shot without scaring them I don't get the shot. I wonder if DJI will stop chasing flight time and put a larger camera on. After all for me a good zoom would negate the need for 20 minuets of flight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar