Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Winglet props for the Spark?

noooris

Join
Sep 18, 2017
Does anyone make winglet props for the Spark? Winglets provide more lift and deaden noise. Winglets are a main feature of the Mavic platinum, which contribute to the longer flying time and noise reduction. I'm very sure the Spark 2/Platinum will have winglets. Has anyone seen any around?

Has anyone seen any around?
For the Spark? Not yet. It would be best to wait until DJI releases them since 3rd party props often don't perform well.

The propellers on the new Mavic really only reduce noise, not as much the flight time. That is credited more to the new sine-wave ESCs used.

The swept tips delay the onset of shockwaves as the air moves off the tip. This is what creates much of the noise. Yes, reducing shock waves will reduce the associated drag, so there is SOME efficiency gain to be had, however in the way DJI applied it, I think those gains are negligible. If you look at the overall shape of the new prop versus the old one, they are the same, except for the swept tip. Therefore, overall prop efficiency didnt change.

Now, had the new Mavic gone for a proper Scimitar style prop (curved leading edge to swept tip), then there would be more efficiency gains to be had.

I do expect that at some point DJI will release swept tip props for all of its current drones, as the buzz noise of multirotors is a primary complaint of the general public.

Reactions: noooris
Great info @superPHREAK . Now why can't third party manufactures do this and make a ton of money in the short term until DJI releases its own. In the past these things needed multiple moulds and wind testing. Nowadays the whole prototype process can be done and tested in CAD and printed in 3d.

Now why can't third party manufactures do this and make a ton of money in the short term until DJI releases its own.
I'm sure they will since there are 3rd party props for every other DJI drone. Like I said though, many of them do not work well, so you're going to be taking a gamble and possibly voiding your warranty if they cause a crash.

re: 3rd party: my guess is they are just copying the existing design, not developing new ones. A new prop design takes some R & D, money which someone sellling $3 clone props won't have.

3D printing is good, but not prop good. Not smooth enough, too thick and heavy. For props, you really need molds. Odds are, 3rd party took an OEM prop, made a mold from it, and just injects in those. Quick and cheap.

Looking at the clearance between the top of the Spark and the stock props, I'm not sure if there is room for the tip. Unless they point up?

May have to make a riser for the props to mount to the motors in order to clear the Spark.

Looking at the clearance between the top of the Spark and the stock props, I'm not sure if there is room for the tip. Unless they point up?

May have to make a riser for the props to mount to the motors in order to clear the Spark.

The swept tip doesn't change the clearances at all. Prop is same dimensions, just different shape.

Does anyone make winglet props for the Spark? Winglets provide more lift and deaden noise. Winglets are a main feature of the Mavic platinum, which contribute to the longer flying time and noise reduction. I'm very sure the Spark 2/Platinum will have winglets. Has anyone seen any around?

My take would be that only, as usual, the lawyers would gain on this.
1. Knockoffs are usually horrible, rough, weak, fragile.
2. You bet that DJI would kill your warranty most snappy if they even found out that you even owned any knockoffs. Yes they would find out.
3. propeller design is a section of every manufacturer of air vehicles. Boeing has an entire section of hundreds of employees. How long did it take the soviets to find out that independent tail sections were necessary for mach flight? They actually stole the design study before they knew. So they never figured it out themselves, even though the us was sonic through many designs. When did wing edges finally change for efficiency?
4. It could be done, but only the Edison way.

My take would be that only, as usual, the lawyers would gain on this.
1. Knockoffs are usually horrible, rough, weak, fragile.
2. You bet that DJI would kill your warranty most snappy if they even found out that you even owned any knockoffs. Yes they would find out.
3. propeller design is a section of every manufacturer of air vehicles. Boeing has an entire section of hundreds of employees. How long did it take the soviets to find out that independent tail sections were necessary for mach flight? They actually stole the design study before they knew. So they never figured it out themselves, even though the us was sonic through many designs. When did wing edges finally change for efficiency?
4. It could be done, but only the Edison way.

I will say this. Flying at 360 feet in a normal city makes rotor noise mostly moot.

I will say this. Flying at 360 feet in a normal city makes rotor noise mostly moot.

City and suburbia as well. The ambient noise makes ALL the difference in the world. :) PRO TIP: If you live in a cranky area, just start up the lawn mower, launch the drone up high, then turn off the mower. Do the same when you land. :-D

What I'm really interested to see how these new prop designs do in the wind, noise reduction wise. My little Sparky growls when cutting into the wind. Moreso with my Mavic.

Reactions: 1px0ff and noooris
PRO TIP: If you live in a cranky area, just start up the lawn mower, launch the drone up high, then turn off the mower. Do the same when you land.

:p:p:p - Or substitute lawnmower for Peteol Hedge trimmer, chainsaw, strimmer, or electric drill.
Or....... just keep half a dozen hives of African bees in your back yard and hit them with a stick just before take off and landings!

City and suburbia as well. The ambient noise makes ALL the difference in the world. :) PRO TIP: If you live in a cranky area, just start up the lawn mower, launch the drone up high, then turn off the mower. Do the same when you land. :-D

Haha! I was thinking about this the last time I flew in a little park inside my neighborhood. Nobody has ever complained but it dawned on me how much louder the lawnmowers were than the spark.

:p:p:p - Or substitute lawnmower for Peteol Hedge trimmer, chainsaw, strimmer, or electric drill.
Or....... just keep half a dozen hives of African bees in your back yard and hit them with a stick just before take off and landings!

I'm liking the Bee idea. Honey would be a side benefit but I'm wondering what length stick you would suggest

?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bornzero2none