Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Will the Mavic Air replace the Spark

What antenna do you have? I just orderd a Spark and I'm interested in an antenna mod if I can get a good video link like yours
An older version of
“16DBI Antenna Wifi Signal Range Booster Extended for DJI Mavic Pro/Spark Series” https://www.ebay.com/itm/16DBI-Antenna-Wifi-Signal-Range-Booster-Extended-for-DJI-Mavic-Pro-Spark-Series/122626668222

I also have a fleet of other antenna. But the above is my go-to solution if I require reach and portability.

I guess the Mavic Air will need the same kind of antenna modification to get decent performance from its wifi-only link. It is a pitty DJI did put no RMA-SP plugs on the RC when redesigning it. Esp. for EU folks in CE mode ...

As a Spark and Mavic Pro owner I am not tempted yet, waiting on the detailed reviews first to decide whether to sell both and get the Air. Compared with the Spark I don't see any mention of palm launch which is a real plus for the Spark as it's a true take anywhere, take off from anywhere drone with no need to find flat surfaces, use a landing pad and without folding out fiddly arms. Compared with the Mavic Pro the bitrate of the camera is the only plus, and it's a considerable one mind you. The boomerang and asteroid modes will get boring with time, I suspect the boomerang could be moved easily to the Mavic Pro and Spark but the asteroid may not due to the merging of a 360 photo with moving video at a point in that zoom as it transitions and DJI are making a big deal at the ability to stitch a 360 quickly. Also noticed in addition to the lack of screen on the remote it does not have a dial for exposure so it'll be interesting to see whether the camera controls are cut down further, I hope not, and it must have EXPO for control refinement like the Mavic otherwise it's a no go.

But in terms of whether it'll replace the Spark, I don't think so, but DJI make the decision of which one to buy difficult don't they!

Reactions: srcrain
ciao a tutti .. Sto ancora pensando se cambiare aria con la mia scintilla .. in un video il ragazzo americano è scaduto il tempo di volo ed è stato "solo" 15 minuti e solo in "bilico" Mi aspettavo almeno quella dichiarato !!! poi c'è l'altro problema che voi ragazzi che vivono negli Stati Uniti non ho te .. la gamma che in Europa (nel mio caso in Italia) è molto limitata ci sarà una cartella moddata app per l'aria di andare in FCC? mha ....

ciao a tutti .. Sto ancora pensando se cambiare aria con la mia scintilla .. in un video il ragazzo americano è scaduto il tempo di volo ed è stato "solo" 15 minuti e solo in "bilico" Mi aspettavo almeno quella dichiarato !!! poi c'è l'altro problema che voi ragazzi che vivono negli Stati Uniti non ho te .. la gamma che in Europa (nel mio caso in Italia) è molto limitata ci sarà una cartella moddata app per l'aria di andare in FCC? mha ....

Si si, FCC multo bene.

hello to all .. I'm still thinking about whether to change air with my spark .. in an American video the boy has timed the flight time and was "only" 15 minutes and only in "hovering" I expected at least the one declared !!! then there is the other problem that you guys who live in the USA do not have you .. the range that in Europe (in my case in Italy) is very limited there will be an app moddata for air to go in FCC? mha ....

As a Spark and Mavic Pro owner I am not tempted yet, waiting on the detailed reviews first to decide whether to sell both and get the Air. Compared with the Spark I don't see any mention of palm launch which is a real plus for the Spark as it's a true take anywhere, take off from anywhere drone with no need to find flat surfaces, use a landing pad and without folding out fiddly arms. Compared with the Mavic Pro the bitrate of the camera is the only plus, and it's a considerable one mind you. The boomerang and asteroid modes will get boring with time, I suspect the boomerang could be moved easily to the Mavic Pro and Spark but the asteroid may not due to the merging of a 360 photo with moving video at a point in that zoom as it transitions and DJI are making a big deal at the ability to stitch a 360 quickly. Also noticed in addition to the lack of screen on the remote it does not have a dial for exposure so it'll be interesting to see whether the camera controls are cut down further, I hope not, and it must have EXPO for control refinement like the Mavic otherwise it's a no go.

But in terms of whether it'll replace the Spark, I don't think so, but DJI make the decision of which one to buy difficult don't they!
This was exactly my point earlier and I completely agree. I am not a fan of gesture mode, but the palm launch is huge for all the reasons you state. One way I use it is if I am on a pier or surface with a lot of rebar, launching from my hand bypasses the compass error I get when I put it on the ground. I can then switch to normal mode and fly normally.

Da quello che ho letto, la gamma Mavic Air CE dovrebbe essere doppia rispetto a Spark.

Yeah, unless you need shoot videos in sports mode I can't see any compelling reason to upgrade from the Spark that's a terrific flying camera and inside the PolarPro case it's plenty small. Yeah you can't stuff it in your pocket but frankly who needs to do that ? If the MA had Occusyinc I might have been vaguely tempted.

You *could* palm launch the Air, just like others used to hand launch their Phantoms. I suspect DJI didn't show this off as the Air is 3x heavier and a bit bigger, so the blades are that much closer to a user's face. Also, it doesnt have the convenient back button to initiate the action.

You *could* palm launch the Air, just like others used to hand launch their Phantoms. I suspect DJI didn't show this off as the Air is 3x heavier and a bit bigger, so the blades are that much closer to a user's face. Also, it doesnt have the convenient back button to initiate the action.
The Phantoms are easy to hand launch & catch. The Mavic Pro (and I suspect the Air too) are very difficult to hand catch or launch as there is very little room to grasp it and a lot of spinning props near your fingertips. I wouldn't suggest it.

Reactions: suprPHREAK
You will find the guidelines covers this...
Community Rules - "The language of this forum is English. If you are not a native English speaker, do your best. We are glad to have you as a member and will be supportive and polite."

Reactions: dirkclod
The Phantoms are easy to hand launch & catch. The Mavic Pro (and I suspect the Air too) are very difficult to hand catch or launch as there is very little room to grasp it and a lot of spinning props near your fingertips. I wouldn't suggest it.

Never said it was a smart idea ;-)

What if I change the threads question slightly - Will the Mavic Air replace the Spark (if you also own a Mavic Pro)? I would say no. But if I only owned a Spark than yes.
I have both. I will probably replace the Spark. The Mavic Pro is still my favourite, due to the stability, range and flight time. The Air is basically a Spark Pro.

Indeed, what bothers me is the lack of a "take on/off" option for one ot the custom buttons on the remote, that's really convenient.

In noise tests I have seen (very unscientific, but a starting point) the air is louder than the pro and slightly louder or equal to the Spark. Why do people think the Spark and Air don't have the new style props to cut noise?

With the Air not being quieter than the Spark that is another reason not to replace.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502