Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Will a safe affect a drone?

Amckim2084

Join
Mar 27, 2019
Loc
Missouri
For example: store the spark and batteries in the charging station. Put the station in a carry bag, then put it in a steel safe. Will this have any affect on the spark in the long run?

For example: store the spark and batteries in the charging station. Put the station in a carry bag, then put it in a steel safe. Will this have any affect on the spark in the long run?

I would strongly advise against storing the Spark in a steel safe. Lots of posts regarding persistent compass errors after just a few days storage in a car trunk. A typical safe would have an even larger mass of steel in much closer proximity so sounds like a bad idea.

The Spark compass includes a small magnet so the ferrous metal messes with it -- much like the re-bar in a sidewalk. Long term exposure isn't always fixed with a simple compass calibration.

So be safe and avoid the safe :p

Lots of posts regarding persistent compass errors after just a few days storage in a car trunk
Maybe you're thinking of in a car trunk near a subwoofer (which have strong magnets)?

Steel will not negatively affect the compass if the Spark is powered off. Whether or not the safe contains any magnets is another question.

Maybe you're thinking of in a car trunk near a subwoofer (which have strong magnets)?

Steel will not negatively affect the compass if the Spark is powered off. Whether or not the safe contains any magnets is another question.

I know metal objects can have affects during flight because they are magnetized but I wasn’t sure about steel. Even though it’s non magnetized I’ve still read stories about issues with steel bridges. But I’m sure there’s tons of metal on them too.

But no magnets in my safe. Just documents. It wouldn’t be long term anyway. Just days when nobody is home which isn’t often. Stolen drone in the past from break in :(

I know metal objects can have affects during flight because they are magnetized
As long as you don't power on the Spark in the safe, the metal will not negatively affect the compass.

As long as you don't power on the Spark in the safe, the metal will not negatively affect the compass.

Thanks for the info. I remember you on Phantom Pilots. You helped a lot during my P3 days :)

Reactions: msinger

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
d beard