Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Wi-Fi vs OTG

tonyt76

Join
Jun 16, 2017
Hey guys,

Is there any advantage to using a OTG cable vs connecting to the controller using wi-fi? If so what is it?

Thanks!

A bit less delay and slightly smoother video since WiFi will have the odd frame loss here and there due to interference form other Wi-Fi networks and RF stuff around.

Limitations:
  • Cannot change wifi band. In IOS, on android it don't seems correct (looks like PH3).
  • No signal level indication.
  • Loss of custom buttons setup (for ios devices only).
  • Not officially supported by dji, so it could be removed.
  • Some says that RC cannot be calibrated ? (not checked)
  • RTH maximum altitude is 50m (not checked)
  • Shows the Joystick/GUI button at bottom left (not checked)

If connected with OTG, your maps will stay current, assuming you are connected to the internet with WiFi.

I used OTG for the first time yesterday. Much improved experience. Lower lag and an obviously greater range than I've experienced before under the same conditions (rural area with little to no wifi interference). Hopefully this wasn't just a fluke and I can repeat the experience on future flights.

Yep - OTG works significantly better for me. The lag is still there from time to time and quite evident when I switch to my MP or P4P but compared to wifi it's significantly better.

I don't know if I am doing it right but I turn drone on and then the RC and then plug in the cable. I have one end plugged in so I only have one plug to finish.

what the heck, i Just posted about OTG in another area "?"

Seems questions and threads covering same topics are Everywhere..

i myself use Cable Creation OTG, much less wire all over and 1 less connection as to standard otg
20170916_093852.jpg

Ebay..

Hi
What order did u turn on and connect with?
Yep - for me I need to turn on Spark .. then RC and wait until I get the green light on the RC then plug in the display device and works like a champ. My original OTG adapter (Samsung stub adapter-white) does not seem to work as well as another OTG I had on hand that is more of a pigtail so your results may vary between OTG's.

[QUOTE="Michael G, post: 14014, member: 2132"
i myself use Cable Creation OTG, much less wire all over and 1 less connection as to standard otg[/QUOTE]

Yeah this is the one I use too. Works great. Although I had pretty decent use with wifi before I got the cable.

I've been trying to use the OTG cable lately and it continually disconnects the feed from the drone. I still maintain a connection to the controller, but the drone itself is "disconnected" randomly in 9/10 flights. I can still control it to bring it back, but it just registers as DC'd and I have to turn off both the drone and the RC to get it to come back. This is probably what the DJI guys were talking about when they said OTG was unstable.

I don't know if I am doing it right but I turn drone on and then the RC and then plug in the cable. I have one end plugged in so I only have one plug to finish.
What I usually did using the OTG is starting the RC first then the drone, after they both connected then insert your OTG cable to the RC. I used to do it that way and haven't experiencing any problems until now

I have used OTG ever since I got my Mavic and it solved my dropped connections. Same for my Spark, also am flying in airplane mode on tablet and running version 0400 FW without issue. Someone mentioned no signal strength function, but it is a 'wired' connection not WiFi, so signal isn't relevant. Using an adapter and cable but soon to be replaced with a single cable for my iPad from djicables - Angle Apple USB Lightning cables for DJI Mavic Pro Phantom and Spark

I have used both, but unlike others don't notice a significant difference at all. I now fly wifi only. Less steps.

The RTH altitude can be adjusted to what you want when using OTG cable.
With Android, not with ios version of Go4 app.
Now, on Android there is only changing wifi settings which is not possible with OTG.

I too have a huge problem with the otg. So, I just fly LOS and not s often as that is boring. I only fly in the boonies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fulavio