Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Why does the Spark yaw so Badly?

The Spark's Yaw,is more like a ratchet! You can set up a turn with very little yaw, and it will start, then stop, then start again.Then if you apply more pressure to the stick, and you get a "over shoot"! Yes, it shows up in the video, the 2 axis gimbal dosen't help,but that's not all of the problem. That's why Tri Pod mode gives such a smooth video, and yaw! A little exponential would go a long way, in ironing this out. I only wish you could use the controller from a Mavic Pro,it would make a huge diffrence. Also,if you had exponential "Sport Mode" would be much smoother,too!

Last edited:
I've had many DJI products, and never experienced the jerky yaw movement that the Spark has? Is the Firmware that bad? I have a Traxxas Ailen drone (100.00) that fly's much smoother? My Inspire,Mavic Pro,Phantom 3,all fly great, then the "ratchet yaw system" comes along with this drone? For the price the Spark demands, you would think the controller would have separate adjustments for yaw, and pitch? Or DJI would at least,develope a update for the firmware to smooth things out? It's a great little drone (but not a cheap one) with one major flaw, that isn't being addressed!

Here is a tutorial I made on how to fly the Spark faster but keep footage smoother for less editing! Please check it out and I hope it’s helpful for some of you!

Reactions: Chuck c and Ron_Dog
The Spark's Yaw,is more like a ratchet! You can set up a turn with very little yaw, and it will start, then stop, then start again.Then if you apply more pressure to the stick, and you get a "over shoot"! Yes, it shows up in the video, the 2 axis gimbal dosen't help,but that's not all of the problem. That's why Tri Pod mode gives such a smooth video, and yaw! A little exponential would go a long way, in ironing this out. I only wish you could use the controller from a Mavic Pro,it would make a huge diffrence. Also,if you had exponential "Sport Mode" would be much smoother,too!
while i wont argue that expo would resolve this for most, its still laughable that people feel the spark is too fast..LOL Maybe its odd to think you'd want to be able to fly something before attempting to purchase a $600 heli. I fly race drones with stick rates upwards of 1300 and am able to do slow controlled movements because ive put forth time learning how to fly.. the spark probably has rates closer to 200

I've had many DJI products, and never experienced the jerky yaw movement that the Spark has? Is the Firmware that bad? I have a Traxxas Ailen drone (100.00) that fly's much smoother? My Inspire,Mavic Pro,Phantom 3,all fly great, then the "ratchet yaw system" comes along with this drone? For the price the Spark demands, you would think the controller would have separate adjustments for yaw, and pitch? Or DJI would at least,develope a update for the firmware to smooth things out? It's a great little drone (but not a cheap one) with one major flaw, that isn't being addressed!
Take it really easy on the sticks. Turn off the sport mode. Turn on the tripod mode. I usually use the sport mode to get to the subject then turn it off so I have much more control over the shooting.

Reactions: Ron_Dog
while i wont argue that expo would resolve this for most, its still laughable that people feel the spark is too fast..LOL Maybe its odd to think you'd want to be able to fly something before attempting to purchase a $600 heli. I fly race drones with stick rates upwards of 1300 and am able to do slow controlled movements because ive put forth time learning how to fly.. the spark probably has rates closer to 200
It really dosen't have anything to do with the Sparks speed (or lack of it). My Blackout 250 (yeah I fly racing drones also) is much more precise/consistent with yaw input on the stick.

Maybe Mavic Air would have been a better choice for what you wish to do. Spark has limitations, I think because it was intended to be a selfie drone.

Maybe Mavic Air would have been a better choice for what you wish to do. Spark has limitations, I think because it was intended to be a selfie drone.
That could be true? I know after flying the Mavic Pro,or Inspire,you really notice it! LOL! I have learned to shoot video in straight lines, and stop recording most of the time, until I line up for the next shot! I really like flying the Spark and have it with me most of the time. It sets up fast, and is very easy to pack around! I'm just learning to live with the yaw, and either fly straight or use Tri Pod Mode when I'm at the location.

Reactions: BrilhasMuito
It really dosen't have anything to do with the Sparks speed (or lack of it). My Blackout 250 (yeah I fly racing drones also) is much more precise/consistent with yaw input on the stick.
I def don't think it does either.. especially seeing how I did mention the fact that it was crazy slow rates. I just think it's the gimbal not being able to keep up with people not being steady and fluid. My post was me laughing about people thinking the it's hard to control because it's so fast.

I def don't think it does either.. especially seeing how I did mention the fact that it was crazy slow rates. I just think it's the gimbal not being able to keep up with people not being steady and fluid. My post was me laughing about people thinking the it's hard to control because it's so fast.
It might seem fast to some just starting out flying quads, but in the real world it's a Kitty Cat........with hiccups! :D

It might seem fast to some just starting out flying quads, but in the real world it's a Kitty Cat........with hiccups! :D
That's what I was saying...I couldn't imagine never flying quads and going out and buying a $500 quad for my first. I would've been far too scare of destroying my investment. If I were new to this hobby, I would've 100% purchased something else and flew it for a year just to make sure I was confortable with flight. There are a lot of things (as you know) that you just have to learn as you go. You have to make mistakes and those mistakes lead to crashes. It's easier to stomach learning and crashing something that costs $100. I've been flying for roughly 12 years, and I can honestly say now that I don't feel like I ever got good enough to call myself an rc pilot (although I could fly without crashing just fine) until I switched to fpv. It took being in something that was a turkey 1:1 for me to finally feel connected enough to the quad to really feel like I was piloting the quad rather than pointing and watching and hoping not to crash. I became better in 2 months of flying fpv than I did in 10 years of flying line of sight.

That's what I was saying...I couldn't imagine never flying quads and going out and buying a $500 quad for my first. I would've been far too scare of destroying my investment. If I were new to this hobby, I would've 100% purchased something else and flew it for a year just to make sure I was confortable with flight. There are a lot of things (as you know) that you just have to learn as you go. You have to make mistakes and those mistakes lead to crashes. It's easier to stomach learning and crashing something that costs $100. I've been flying for roughly 12 years, and I can honestly say now that I don't feel like I ever got good enough to call myself an rc pilot (although I could fly without crashing just fine) until I switched to fpv. It took being in something that was a turkey 1:1 for me to finally feel connected enough to the quad to really feel like I was piloting the quad rather than pointing and watching and hoping not to crash. I became better in 2 months of flying fpv than I did in 10 years of flying line of sight.
I have no idea of how many props I destroyed on my Black Out? I lost count the first week,I had it and started buying them by the bag!:D I've been flying RC since 1971 (yeah I'm older than dirt!) 6 years ago I built my first, cross country FPV plane, and the FAA banned them 6 months later!:( (Send me a PM for a smoking deal on it)!:D After flying FPV the whole perspective of flying changed! I know of quite a few RC pilots, that can fly RC well using FPV,but really struggle with LOS flying!

Last edited:
Reactions: VenomousSVT
That could be true? I know after flying the Mavic Pro,or Inspire,you really notice it! LOL! I have learned to shoot video in straight lines, and stop recording most of the time, until I line up for the next shot! I really like flying the Spark and have it with me most of the time. It sets up fast, and is very easy to pack around! I'm just learning to live with the yaw, and either fly straight or use Tri Pod Mode when I'm at the location.

You don't need to keep it all straight, you can yaw the spark but take it really really easy on the sticks. Also, you can keep shooting. After you trim any jerky movement using any editing software/app.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast