Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Where did you put your FAA ID?

i just loaded the B4UFLY app....after reviewing the FAA site. I have been flying illegally these past few weeks and didn't even know it. Look what this thread started! Getting a newby to do things right. I'm just within 5 miles of an airport so I have to notify them every time I plan to fly here at my home....which looks like it might take a whole minute or 2 so not a big deal. I had no idea. I get the warning on the DJI app saying to fly with caution, and i have kept it under 150'....so far.

So we MUST register Sparks with FAA? i thought I read somewhere they were under the required weight...Or do you guys just register to be safe? Which I am all about. Honestly, the Spark scares me a little bit because i do see the potential for disaster with it in the wrong hands or the wrong scenario. No doubt it could be a deadly weapon.

Has anyone ever had someone show up from the airport or FAA after notifying them via B4UFLY , or during a flight for any reason? Probably only if you do something real stupid, like fly above 400' near an airport.

I do not think flying in your BACKYARD is going to cause a plane to crash.

Depends on where you are. Where I live, max is 200AGL. There are a lot of low flying manned planes due to proximity to the airport.

Planes do fly directly over my house, I would guess at an altitude of about 800'+, but it might be less than that. I've only had my Spark to about 150' height so it's hard to judge... and I have seen some low flying ones...Probably private planes playing around.

Just out of curiosity, is there any way to detect how high the planes are when I see one?

Yeah, it seems like a hassle, but the last thing I want to do is bring a plane down. So far, I'm too concerned with flyaways to let it go too far from me....and i have been working on getting better at piloting, because this is my first non-toy drone..

Planes do fly directly over my house, I would guess at an altitude of about 800'+, but it might be less than that. I've only had my Spark to about 150' height so it's hard to judge... and I have seen some low flying ones...Probably private planes playing around.

Just out of curiosity, is there any way to detect how high the planes are when I see one?

Yeah, it seems like a hassle, but the last thing I want to do is bring a plane down. So far, I'm too concerned with flyaways to let it go too far from me....and i have been working on getting better at piloting, because this is my first non-toy drone..
What types of planes do you see? I have an app called Air Traffic that shows you public flight data. Works like a charm tracking commercial flights and providing data about that flight such as the heading and altitude. But, smaller airplanes that take off from private, or county airports are not usually in this app. I just know that by own reference points planes fly anywhere between 300ft to 3000k (based on what I see from air traffic). So I would constantly be on the look out if I flew over 200ft where I live. I limit any flight to about 50ft over the lake nearby if I really want to fly in my neighborhood.

It is a small county airport, but it does have 1 commercial airline that flies in & out of there daily with about a half dozen flights a day. I'll have to talk to someone there and get the scoop. I wish I know all this a week ago. I was just up there picking up a client and his flight was delayed an hour...I could have found out then probably.

Ignorance is bliss, that's for sure!

Put my Registration number on a return address type label along with my email address and stuck it on the main body under one of the front propeller arms. I wanted to make it readily visible in case I lost the drone and someone found it in hopes they would return it. I didn't want to count on someone who's totally unfamiliar with drones not knowing or bothering to look under the battery.

Reactions: MrSefe
I printed mine on a label like most everyone else but have wondered about ordering one of the metallic tamper proof adhesive asset tags and mounting it in the battery compartment in place of my sticker. They are very expensive if you order them online but I thought i'd see if one of the guys in my IT dpt could print me one. Just a thought...

David

I printed some labels at work with my info and reg. number. I put one on each side of the body, in line with ground sensors in front of the battery (basically where my fingers are in my avatar). I figure if I put it in the battery compartment it may go unnoticed because people may not know the battery can pop off (yes, it should be obvious, but some people aren't that bright). I also put one on each of my batteries just in case it happens to fall off or out of my case or something. So there's three stickers with my info on the Spark whenever it is flying, I like to be thorough. :)

Reactions: Icemanwbs and mano
I know this thread is about the proper display of the FAA number on the Spark but here's a tip.

Put the FAA number along with other information ( address, phone, reward, etc.) as a text / notepad document on the SD card just in case the stickers wear out should the Spark get lost and had to spend some time outside alone and exposed to the elements for a while.

If somebody found it, they may find the card with the information.

Just be sure not to Format the SD card while it's in the Spark via the Go4 app because it will erase the info from the card.

I put mine on the outside along with my name and phone number. The FAA number is worthless if the drone is found because there is no way to look up the owner online. I want to ensure the best possible chance of return.

Reactions: Icemanwbs and Doma

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melba Walsh