Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Warning tantrum! Colorado sucks for drones!

i have been in Colorado for almost week. We are here for my daughter softball tournament and no matter where I go I am told I am not alllowed to fly anywhere! I thought this place was suppose to be friendly and open. All the places Imhave tried have been in safe areas where I would not intrude on personal space or place the public in danger. Just yesterday my daughters team did a rafting trip I was about to launch only to be told no where in Golden are drones leagle and he could not tell me anywhere I could fly. Period! Just very frustrated as i have time now to go into the mtns and try to get footage. I have called 5-6 places away from Denver and Colorado Springs area to be shot down. Just sucks!

Sorry for my trantrum but I had to vent...

Thanks

Dear moderator if I have violated any rules or the perception thereof please feel free to delete this thread. In all honesty that was/is not my intention.
If it ain't in writing I'm flying. I control the drone and until someone on authority says otherwise
i have been in Colorado for almost week. We are here for my daughter softball tournament and no matter where I go I am told I am not alllowed to fly anywhere! I thought this place was suppose to be friendly and open. All the places Imhave tried have been in safe areas where I would not intrude on personal space or place the public in danger. Just yesterday my daughters team did a rafting trip I was about to launch only to be told no where in Golden are drones leagle and he could not tell me anywhere I could fly. Period! Just very frustrated as i have time now to go into the mtns and try to get footage. I have called 5-6 places away from Denver and Colorado Springs area to be shot down. Just sucks!

Sorry for my trantrum but I had to vent...

Thanks

Dear moderator if I have violated any rules or the perception thereof please feel free to delete this thread. In all honesty that was/is not my intention.
I have 1 rule, be respectful and law abiding. Having said that if it ain't in writing and your not the police, I'm flying

You can fly over small crowds in the UK? Wow! You cannot fly over a single person in Australia. Only persons who are directly involved in the safe navigation of the drone, are allowed to be closer than 30m to the UAV. It is the pilot’s responsibility to maintain that distance.
So if authorities question the friends that are with you, their answer needs to be that they are assisting.
So far I have never had anyone bother me. I have thought about what to say if I was confronted by someone's who wanted to stop me from flying. I would calmly say, “You will need to move 30m away, to allow the drone to land. Unless you agree to be officially assisting me in flying, then you can stay here. The iPad I hold is recording”.
Either I get 30m away & Whining Wally is not in my face, or their argument is not as strong after being a willing participant in the activity.
I would of course leave, & fly somewhere else.

Reactions: IanSR
I sympathize, but I'm afraid it probably won't get better in the next few years, just more restricted. I could be wrong. Hopefully I am.

Best to fly as much as you can in the next few years, IMO.

This is also why I hope they make drones quieter and smaller when possible. Spark is probably small enough to still be flyable in most conditions, but quieter would make it better.
I see restrictions getting tighter as rogue dronnies breaking rules because of the already tight restrictions.

Isn't the already tight restrictions caused by the rogue dronnies to begin with?

Our rules are similar Koala, it is just open to interpretation, they are not clear on what constitutes a small crowd or a large, it's 1000 or more, it also doesn't clarify if that is directly above the drone, or flight path. When I asked the CAA, they said count, I like your POV about asking idiots to move 30 meters away.

I live near Gatwick Airport, there are about five of us in the area that fly drones, and not one of us is stupid enough to fly near the flight path, the tightening restrictions are because of what might happen (perceived threat), not what has happened, the shutdown caused by a drone last year was a drone being piloted by a CAA certified "remote pilot" he was trying to film the top secret high security concentration camp (aka asylum centre) that is alongside the runway for a tv show and got busted (they knew they'd never get permission to film the prison so just did it under "investigative" excuses, it wasn't a recreational flyer.

Reactions: KevTN
I flew all over Colorado with no issues. The key is to get away from all the people which is no small feat in Colorado nowadays. There is no off season anymore.

Reactions: KevTN
We were in Lake City (Lake San Cristobal/Alpine Loop) earlier this month. Only issues we encountered were temp. flight bans due to fires. Low level airspace was reserved for fire eqiluipment, etc.

They dropped the ban 2 days after we arrived and we were able to fly everywhere else.

I live in Highlands Ranch, CO. I have flown within the green belts here many times without a problem. Worst problem I have heard from other pilots is that people will call the police that they are infringing on their privacy. The police just notified the pilot and went on his way.

But I do agree, it has gotten ridiculous the hatred towards drones. I think a lot of it is the media and stupid pilots that do stupid things. Unfortunately, we all pay the price for this.

Reactions: KevTN and IanSR

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar