Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

US GOV SHUTDOWN INCLUDES NATIONAL PARK SERVICE!!

Burdman44

Join
Nov 3, 2017
So ya know that national state park you’ve been dying to fly in? No rangers (unless they’re volunteering) until the US government reopens. Enjoy it while it lasts folks! Happy flying

It is a vision
So ya know that national state park you’ve been dying to fly in? No rangers (unless they’re volunteering) until the US government reopens. Enjoy it while it lasts folks! Happy flying

It is a violation of FEDERAL LAW to take off or land in A US National Park. So from a droning standpoint it's totally irrelevant it they are temporarily shut down. When they re-open it's still a definite and permanent NFZ.

Most state parks have also banned drones although it's harder to confirm which states still allow it.

Thanks for being so irresponsible and potentially ruining the drone hobby for all of us. Whether someone is watching or not, we are all responsible for our actions. It takes just one irresponsible flyer to ruin it for all.

David

Reactions: Highflyer
Thanks for being so irresponsible and potentially ruining the drone hobby for all of us. Whether someone is watching or not, we are all responsible for our actions. It takes just one irresponsible flyer to ruin it for all.

David
agree 100% why would someone take the risk of getting caught get a huge fine and possibly jail time not to mention a trespassing charge and why make things worse than they already are for us law abiding RC pilots. Sorry, I'm not trying to be an A** about it. just think twice before doing something stupid. Anyway, Merry Christmas and have a safe & Happy New Year. :)

It is a vision

It is a violation of FEDERAL LAW to take off or land in A US National Park. So from a droning standpoint it's totally irrelevant it they are temporarily shut down. When they re-open it's still a definite and permanent NFZ.

Most state parks have also banned drones although it's harder to confirm which states still allow it.

You are technically correct, that it is against federal law to "takeoff, land, or operate" in a a national park, but the FAA has authority of all US airspace. The NPS website even states as long as you obey FAA flight regulations, that you can technically fly inside the park boundary. The PIC must remain outside the park, takeoff and landing must be outside the park, and the PIC must always have a line of site of the drone. For what its worth, there is always a loophole. Still a risk if you have a flyaway.

You are technically correct, that it is against federal law to "takeoff, land, or operate" in a a national park, but the FAA has authority of all US airspace. The NPS website even states as long as you obey FAA flight regulations, that you can technically fly inside the park boundary. The PIC must remain outside the park, takeoff and landing must be outside the park, and the PIC must always have a line of site of the drone. For what its worth, there is always a loophole. Still a risk if you have a flyaway.

EE27961C-2E40-4473-8711-9A935248E668.jpeg

Yep.

Reactions: Dodge DeBoulet
That is how I get by, flying the park perimeter.
I have planned a few Litchi missions for just planning sake - may never get there.
But I found you still have to look deeper into the surrounding laws/ regulations.

Case in point, Devil's Tower National Park Wyoming.

Easy for a Mavic Air to get all the way around the park staying outside the 6 mile (9.65km) or so perimeter.
But in digging deeper, I discovered a recently constructed 2003 airport to the north east - Hulett, Wy (W43) has an agreement between the park and itself.
NFZ 2 Nautical Miles from the center of the tower year round except June
NFZ 3 Nautical Miles from the center of the tower throughout June

https://www.nps.gov/deto/planyourvisit/upload/DETO-No-Fly-Advisory-Bulletin-Final.pdf

I can only speak for Texas State Parks and they have left it to the individual park superintendent.
I also found the superintendent can help from time to time.
When I asked to fly, he said he would love to let me fly but can't for 2 reasons.
1) The park is within 4.9 miles of the local airport (seems we were both uneducated at the time, 2016) and
2) The park is a Wild Turkey Refuge.

But then he went onto say "But if you go outside the gate and travel north on 377, there is a scenic overlook of the park that is 5 miles away from the local airport and is outside the park."

So you see, it all depends.
If you do not ask, you will never know.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast