Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Turning right or left

Rossi6998

Join
May 26, 2018
I have noticed that when I am hovering and I turn right or left, the drone seems to continue to turn for another two or three seconds after I release the control stick. I don't remember it doing this when the drone was new and I first started flying it. I have recalibrated the joysticks and recalibrated the IMU. Is anyone else having the same problem? any thoughts?

I have noticed that when I am hovering and I turn right or left, the drone seems to continue to turn for another two or three seconds after I release the control stick. I don't remember it doing this when the drone was new and I first started flying it. I have recalibrated the joysticks and recalibrated the IMU. Is anyone else having the same problem? any thoughts?

No, I haven't seen of this problem before, post a video of the incident. Could it be that is slowly drifting?

Turn with left stick, or moving with the right stick?

Check if sport mode switch on remote, is on.

Turn with left stick, or moving with the right stick?

Check if sport mode switch on remote, is on.

Turn with left stick. Sport mode is not on. Drone is not drifting, it is slightly turning (very slight, but noticeable on video).

No, I haven't seen of this problem before, post a video of the incident. Could it be that is slowly drifting?

See YouTube link below. You will notice as I am hovering, I will turn left or right, and the drone will occasionally continue to turn slightly. Check at 1:24 of the video. You will see at one point, I tap the joystick to see if I can stop it from slightly turning.

Thoughts?

In more advanced drones, there are controls that enable this such as braking, and or cinematic mode. The idea is to avoid a jerky stop.
Being that both the Spark and the Mavics use the same app, and are much more similar by parameter than they are different, it's possible that your spark had a factory setting that allows for more leniency at the yaw end point.
Or, it could be the wind.
Or,...

I can see this "slow braking" in your video too, but it is almost unnoticeable.

If you aren't in some cinematic mode, may be the wind or the low light conditions.

I see it, it's very obvious. I have also a few times noticed the same behavior on my Spark, has anyone else seen this?

When close to you and performing a turn, do you physically see the drone turning or could it be the gimbal drifting in that direction.

I have noticed this behavior as well. I brought the drone down so I could see what was going on. The drone was perfectly still while the video feed was still drifting, leading me to blame it on a problem with the EIS.

When close to you and performing a turn, do you physically see the drone turning or could it be the gimbal drifting in that direction.

Unfortunately, it is hard to say. It does not appear the drone is turning, but it also does not appear the gimbal is drifting. It has to be one or the other (I would think)...

Reactions: Jim Smith
Unfortunately, it is hard to say. It does not appear the drone is turning, but it also does not appear the gimbal is drifting. It has to be one or the other (I would think)...
Last night mine was sitting on the ground and the camera image on the phone was drifting from right to left. The gimbal doesn't move on that axis and the drone was sitting on the ground. What I am seeing on my spark is definitely the Electronic Image Stabilization acting up.

Last night mine was sitting on the ground and the camera image on the phone was drifting from right to left. The gimbal doesn't move on that axis and the drone was sitting on the ground. What I am seeing on my spark is definitely the Electronic Image Stabilization acting up.

Yes, this makes sense. Thanks.

@Jim Smith Welcome to the board!

Okay... Is that fixable? Will recalibrating the IMU have any affect?

Okay... Is that fixable? Will recalibrating the IMU have any affect?
Ive found lots of other reports on other forums of this same issue. I just did an IMU calibration a couple flights ago and it did not appear to have any impact on the EIS yaw. I have not yet found any reported fixes.

Here is what I plan on testing tonight... If someone else has any points to add to my list, let me know I'd be happy to try!

1. Instead of yawing with the controller to stop the drift, try a pitch or roll.
2. I often launch in sport mode, does avoiding sport mode entirely make a difference?
3. There are reports of this not happening with the phone as the controller. Is that true?
4. IMU calibration and test
5. Compass calibration and test

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast