Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

The OTG port, it's not USB!

The question is what connector type is on the OTG official adapter they use for their Googles? If it is A, it is coherent.

As the Mavic RC has the same Type A microUSB and the cable you get with the mavic is A aswell, my guess would be that the official OTG is A aswell.

Dunno why this thing is rectangular rather than trapezoidal. MicroUSB female ports are keyed for a reason -- they are tiny and delicate lol.

BTW DJI is likely to kill off OTG on anything but Android which has issues with the 5GHz bands DJI uses -- and even then it will remain gimped. DJI reps over at rcgroups.com heavily hint at its demise, which sucks TBH because the video latency when using OTG is roughly half what it is when using wifi-to-RC method. Also don't like having to turn off bluetooth to get performance/range; BT earbuds a la AirPods are handy for that audio feedback from DJI GO 4 app.

... anything but Android which has issues with the 5GHz bands DJI uses
Also don't like having to turn off bluetooth to get performance/range; BT earbuds a la AirPods are handy for that audio feedback from DJI GO 4 app.
There are android phone that are ok with 5G8 like Samsung S8. S6, even if in the list of DJI as recommended device, not.
You need to turn-off bluetooth in any case or always use 5.8G for the link to Spark as bluetooth will pollute 2.4G. If you keep BT active, there is high chance that Spark choose 5.8G. If you are fine with that, then it is ok.
Personally I am tired to reset my custom buttons each time (ios issue only) each time and I am now mainly using wifi and windsurfers reflectors.

Yes I agree, i think even on OTG i will still turn bluetooth off.
I dont want spark to choose 5.8 just because of my bt devices.
Does the windsurfers reflectors really help?

Yes I agree, i think even on OTG i will still turn bluetooth off.
I dont want spark to choose 5.8 just because of my bt devices.
Does the windsurfers reflectors really help?
I would say so for open field. In urban area the difference is not that much.
Advantage is that it is cheap, didn't require modification, keep warranty and all functionalities of Go4 app are kept.
Disadvantage is that you need to really keep the antennas in direction of the Spark, but it is not a real issue.

There are android phone that are ok with 5G8 like Samsung S8. S6, even if in the list of DJI as recommended device, not.
You need to turn-off bluetooth in any case or always use 5.8G for the link to Spark as bluetooth will pollute 2.4G. If you keep BT active, there is high chance that Spark choose 5.8G. If you are fine with that, then it is ok.
Personally I am tired to reset my custom buttons each time (ios issue only) each time and I am now mainly using wifi and windsurfers reflectors.

Oh yeah, I noticed the BT interference without even leaving the house. With iOS phone wifi connected to RC, and RC to spark, I could not maintain a video feed that wasn't choppy and broken up. It was utterly useless. Having a hard-wired video feed via OTG just seems more... reliable... in every sense. It is a shame that DJI doesn't officially honor it.

Like you, having to reset the custom buttons every time is annoying and I've been defaulting to using phone/RC wifi with BT off and I use good ol' reliable wired earbuds for audio feedback.

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the microUSB-to-lightning cable does not provide the same functionality as the OTG cable from what I’ve read. This is the setup I am using and it works well.
Zeskit Lightning to USB Cable Pro for Headphones Amplifier / DAC - MFi Certified, Charging and Syncing for iPhone iPod iPad

printed circuit assembly

Last edited:
Do you know if the Samsung USB connecter, which is delivered with a Samsung device, could work if you connect it with an USB lightning cable on your iphone?

Hmmm..... let me see.
Try this...... LMGTFY
Apparently you don’t know either... but thanks for your input. My research has determined that there are a variety of OTG cables and all are simply different adapters for different connectors. The more important question in my post is why do I need one. I thought I would need it to connect my iPhone to the RC Controller, but apparently this not the case - it connects via WiFi. But I would still like to have an OTG, so it appears that they are available readily and inexpensively.

Thanks again.

Apparently you don’t know either... but thanks for your input. My research has determined that there are a variety of OTG cables and all are simply different adapters for different connectors. The more important question in my post is why do I need one. I thought I would need it to connect my iPhone to the RC Controller, but apparently this not the case - it connects via WiFi. But I would still like to have an OTG, so it appears that they are available readily and inexpensively.

Thanks again.
I am totally clear on what an OTG adapter is and its purpose - but thank you for your input.
My link to the google search and subsequent results(s) explain the device and how it appertains to utilising a connected device as a host allowing data transfer.
Additionally, there are a plethora of threads already on the forum explaining the use in this particular environment and the benefits/problems of using same.
A little effort using the search function will reward you with the requisite information.

Have a lovely day.

Reactions: Kilrah
I am totally clear on what an OTG adapter is and its purpose - but thank you for your input.
My link to the google search and subsequent results(s) explain the device and how it appertains to utilising a connected device as a host allowing data transfer.
Additionally, there are a plethora of threads already on the forum explaining the use in this particular environment and the benefits/problems of using same.
A little effort using the search function will reward you with the requisite information.

Have a lovely day.

Is there a question asked on this forum, at all, that cannot be answered with a google search? By your logic the entire forum should shut down, because it has all been asked and answered.

What is this forum for, if not to answer these questions? If you have answered these same beginners questions ad nausea....why not let some of the newish posters answer it, and you can correct them if they get it wrong.

While I’m sure all these questions have a plethora of threads about them, there is also a plethora of answers that tell people to google or search the forum.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis