Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Sudden Altitude Changes and RTH

TurnOffYourPC

Join
Oct 28, 2017
New to flying and don't want to lose my aircraft. Please consider the following scenario before I go and try it.

1. Let's say RTH is set to 20 meters.

2. I then fly off the side of a hill/cliff/terrace, and altitude increases abruptly to, say, 100 meters.

3. I panic and press RTH.

Will Spark actually DESCEND to 20 meters before attempting to return, theoretically crashing into the side of the hill/cliff/terrace?

Thanks!

When RTH is initiated (and assuming your Spark is far away enough home point), your Spark will ascend to the set RTH altitude before returning to the home point. For example, if the RTH altitude is set to 30 meters (the default) and DJI GO shows your Spark is currently flying at an altitude of 20 meters, your Spark will ascend 10 meters before flying back to the home point. What's above/below your Spark does not change this behavior.

Check out the RTH section of the Spark manual for more important details about the RTH feature. You can download the Spark manual from the Spark downloads page.

Thank you, Spark Help. To clarify: I take off from a hillside and RTH and fly to an altitude of 20 meters. I then fly off the edge of the hill, over a gorge that is 80 meters deep. Thus, my altitude is now 100 meters over the bottom of the gorge. I descend into the gorge and press RTH. What is the expected behavior?

Thank you, Spark Help. To clarify: I take off from a hillside and RTH and fly to an altitude of 20 meters. I then fly off the edge of the hill, over a gorge that is 80 meters deep. Thus, my altitude is now 100 meters over the bottom of the gorge. I descend into the gorge and press RTH. What is the expected behavior?

RTH altitude is relative to your takeoff point.

If you are flying in a canyon below your takeoff point, it will still rise to 20 meters over your takeoff point before initiating RTH.

I take off from a hillside and RTH and fly to an altitude of 20 meters. I then fly off the edge of the hill, over a gorge that is 80 meters deep. Thus, my altitude is now 100 meters over the bottom of the gorge.
The actual altitude of the Spark doesn't matter since the Spark does not know where the ground is located. All that matters is the current altitude displayed in DJI GO. When you fly over the edge of the hill at an altitude of 20 meters, the Spark's altitude will still be 20 meters after it flies over the edge.

Reactions: TurnOffYourPC
You'll notice when you fly from a hill and lower into a valley below your takeoff height, the altimeter will start to go into the minus.

Reactions: TurnOffYourPC
Hello guys... what if spark is approx 500 meters away from home point and u have issue like: bad transmission and also an indication of lost signal.. will RTH work properly?? Because of less battery time its creates a pannic and then i tried to bring it back on sports mode manually..

what if spark is approx 500 meters away from home point and u have issue like: bad transmission and also an indication of lost signal.. will RTH work properly?
Using the default DJI GO settings, the Spark will attempt to return to the home point when the remote controller signal is lost. If the battery reaches the critically low level at any point after RTH is initiated, the Spark will auto land wherever it is when the battery reaches the critically low level.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delf