Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Strobe light

idbl_fanatic

Join
Jan 9, 2018
I got a white strobe light for my spark, and right now, I have it mounted on my battery clip facing down, I can keep track of the spark for a lot further out now, however, I would like to see it a little better, and would like to have it face backwards instead, any mounting suggestions?

It's about the size of a quarter

Which strobe light did you buy?

I use this product to hold it on the Spark20180706_162916.jpg

And I have it mounted here, it has dual purposes.

20180706_162805.jpg

20180706_162832.jpg

Reactions: Haggi
I was wondering about putting it there, but was afraid of wind resistance, etc.

Msinger at Phantom help.com have these available if you fly without the prop guards.

Those would work, but I use a battery strap

I have one as well but don't use in favor of the prop guards. The Spark appears larger, easier to see, and I may bump something or something bumbs the Spark.

I've trusted myself so far with the 6 batteries to insure they double click when I Plug & then Tug.

I did a test flight just now with my battery clip as shown.

20180706_183233.jpg 20180706_182659.jpg 20180706_184122.jpg

I zipped around in Sports mode with no problems on this flight.

It's funny, I didn't take off the front prop guards and the Spark looked like a flying lobster.:p

I would make sure that the SD compartment lid is secure so that in a worse case scenario of the possibly flipping up, prying the bottom one loose, and into the props?

But the Scotch brand holds well.

I suppose you could stick a piece right on the battery button too.

Reactions: adonati
Msinger at Phantom help.com have these available if you fly without the prop guards.
FYI, those will only fit the Flytron STROBON Cree lights. I have mounts for the Firehouse Dual Cree lights too. They aren't on my website, so either PM me here or email me at [email protected] if you'd like a set.

Reactions: Spark 317
I got a 3 pack (red, green, and white). Strobon Cree - they work extremely well at night and can clearly see see as far as I can fly the drone (2-3 mi out). I mounted the red and green strobes on the side of my landing gear and the white in the back bottom of the gear (see pic). I didn't want to put any tape or Velcro on the drone itself as I won't used during the day and didn't want to mess with the aerodynamics and added weight for day flying. This set up works perfectly for me and have VLOS the entire time (better than daytime flying). IMG_0036.JPGIMG_0037.PNG

I have one as well but don't use in favor of the prop guards. The Spark appears larger, easier to see, and I may bump something or something bumbs the Spark.

I've trusted myself so far with the 6 batteries to insure they double click when I Plug & then Tug.

View attachment 5637 View attachment 5638 View attachment 5639

It's funny, I didn't take off the front prop guards and the Spark looked like a flying lobster.:p

I would make sure that the SD compartment lid is secure so that in a worse case scenario of the possibly flipping up, prying the bottom one loose, and into the props?

View attachment 5637 View attachment 5638 View attachment 5639

Have you tried installing the strobe at the bottom of the battery at the rear? I’m just wondering if that location would be “out of the danger zone” away from the vision system.

I hang a long strip of velcro from the top of the rear of the spark, it hangs in front of the battery indicators, I attach an Arc2 to that. I have another one which I have velcroed to the battery underneath, so I can see it from various angles.

I hang a long strip of velcro from the top of the rear of the spark, it hangs in front of the battery indicators, I attach an Arc2 to that. I have another one which I have velcroed to the battery underneath, so I can see it from various angles.
The bottom of the battery doesn’t affect the vision system at all? I know at the bottom center (right in front of the battery” causes the drone‘s status lights lumimate solid red, affecting the vision
system I believe?

Have you tried installing the strobe at the bottom of the battery at the rear? I’m just wondering if that location would be “out of the danger zone” away from the vision system.

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland adonati.

I no longer use the battery strap or rubber O rings to secure the battery.

I trust the plug and tug method to secure the battery.

I have my strobes mounted on the side of the Spark just below the exhaust ports.

20200420_120209.jpg

I'm up to nine batteries now and I didn't want to put fasteners on all of the batteries as they take up just a little more space in the case.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland adonati.

I no longer use the battery strap or rubber O rings to secure the battery.

I trust the plug and tug method to secure the battery.

I have my strobes mounted on the side of the Spark just below the exhaust ports.

View attachment 12742

I'm up to nine batteries now and I didn't want to put fasteners on all of the batteries as they take up just a little more space in the case.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

The Spark is so small.. figured I only needed 1 ARC “tricolor” module to place ideally in the center. The balanced look with 1 on each side is cool too, but is there enough separation to tell where the light is coming from? Do you have video feed of what it looks like?

It's white on one side and red on the other to help with the orientation during the flight at night.

The attitude indicator / map is a big help too.

I'll fly backwards to me when the battery is low to keep the Spark orientated with the joysticks.

Looking at getting a strobe, but mounting it concerns me. Want help with VLOS when I send er out over the water, so thinking it needs to mount underneath to be seen at all angles. How does it help if it's mounted on the top (too many things inside it might interfere with), front or sides if it is heading away from you. Can you see it flash in the sunlight from 3 or 4K feet away? I fly with aftermarket landing gear (never liked ol Sparky's ground clearance) so thinking of velcroing it to the bottom of the battery so it's facing down and can be seen from all angles. Anyone have any experience or is my logic wrong?

If you use the landing gear, mount them like in post #10.

You can mount them just about anywhere you can stick them, just stay away from the bottom camera.

I mounted mine on the bottom of the after market landing gear right next to the bottom camera and the intense flashing of the strobe affected the VPS that caused a very erratic 30 second flight with Spark bouncing in the air like a pogo stick.

If mounted towards the rear as above, the flash might be so intense to the VPS camera.

The strobes don't work well on bright days but on overcast days or shadows they seem to help a little.

Mounting the strobe on the top is for the manned aircraft flying around above you looking down to see you.

Mine are mounted on the sides as it seems best to be seen from all angles.

Don’t mount at the bottom... disrupts with the vision system. Mount either on the sides or at the back near the battery button. On top??? You will never see it mounted at the top unless you plan on flying downward from the top of a hill or mountain. :)

Here is where mine is.. see attached pics. I have some great video feed of the strobe on at night, but can’t load any video here?!

Attachments

• 844DB62E-6882-4E8D-91D4-C96BEC27B627.jpeg
    844DB62E-6882-4E8D-91D4-C96BEC27B627.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • B977D0C3-86FF-43C0-89A3-90E72B5E46D4.jpeg
    B977D0C3-86FF-43C0-89A3-90E72B5E46D4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members