Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Stepping into the big unknown

I B Spectre

Join
Aug 16, 2019
After a lot of research, I bought a Spark Fly More Combo (used) online. Things are seldom as simple as they seem and (a) I'm hoping the purchase is as presented when it arrives and (b) I'm able to get the system up and running with minimal headache. Reading the forums can be daunting when a novice sees all the issues that crop up with DJI and Android updates, but I'm hoping some helpful pilots can help me navigate the rapids.

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, I B Spectre.

We're here for ya'.

Use the search function of the site to find some answers, ask if you don't.

Welcome to the Forum. ?

Welcome to the Spark filled skys! As a new Spark pilot myself, I see lots and lots of experience on here and most are more than happy to help and encourage. In addition, the Spark has been around for awhile so that also helps in keeping the bugs to a minimum. Good luck and happy flying once you get your AC kissing the sky!

PS. Small tip I can offer if you're using Android. When I got my Spark I had quite a few video transmission errors (w/ latest firmware), I hooked up an OTG cable and all was well after that.

After a lot of research, I bought a Spark Fly More Combo (used) online...

Thanks for the warm welcome Spark 317 and RotorWash. The more I read/research, the more questions arise. Initially I thought setting up the Spark RC and my phone (LG V20) would be a piece of cake with an OTG cable, but I'm seeing that DJI doesn't want to support OTG and something weird with Go4 and the V20/Android Oreo is discouraging. Possible solutions run the range from "get a new phone" to "revert to Android 7" to "rollback to an earlier version of Go4". Something as basic as trying to find the proper OTG cable to fit the RC and my phone's USB-C has not been simple and that's without knowing if it'll even work. Perserverance and persistence in heavy doses is required. Thanks for the encouragement, guys.

Reactions: Spark 317
Welcome to the forum! :)

but I'm seeing that DJI doesn't want to support OTG and something weird with Go4 and the V20/Android Oreo is discouraging.

The cable works and thought DJI officially supported it a while back with the latest firmware.

The cable had a history with the Spark and different firmware packages but all should be well now.

I fly with a mini4 and two Droids, each has it's own cable.

This is the one I use when flying the Motoz2, USB-C to Micro USB.

Thanks guys, my thirst for knowledge is only exceeded by my ignorance :) but I'm trainable and willing to learn. The Spark should arrive today and, since I don't know if the previous owner sent the booklets, I downloaded all the stuff listed in the "Must-haves" from SparkHelp.

Youtube is where I began my research leading to the Spark and there's no shortage of info on most every aspect of its operation. The beauty of the internet is knowing that somebody, somewhere has probably experienced the thing I'm trying to learn and can lead me in the right direction. Once I figure out whether to use the V20 or the S6 Edge+, I'll order the OTG cable Spark 317 uses. Thanks again!

Reactions: Spark 317
Once I figure out whether to use the V20 or the S6 Edge+, I'll order the OTG cable Spark 317 uses. Thanks again!

Before you purchase the cable, I neglected to say that I use my Moto z2 in a phone holder above the remote which makes the cable easy to use.

However, I did a test fit just now with phone in the RC arms and the cable I suggested will not fit through the slot due to the right angle design.

Sorry about that.

Look for a cable with at least one straight end to pass through the remote, like this one.

No need to be sorry, I appreciate you taking the time to do the fit check. It's another piece of the puzzle. I wonder if a straight connector would fit through the slot. From what I've read, the OTG can be plugged in on the left side or on the bottom (recharge?) port. I figure the shortest cable length that will fit would best do the job.

I downloaded the current Go 4 (v4.3.20) and I'll work my way through setting it up with DJI when it arrives. So much to learn! Thanks for your time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast