Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark without controller

paulobrien

Join
Mar 12, 2018
I've just picked up a Tello which I'm enjoying and it's got me thinking differently about how I use my Spark.

The Tello is super quick to launch for a quick snap using just the phone as the controller. Of course, the Spark supports this too but I've never done it.

Does anyone use their Spark this way? Just having the drone and one battery in my bag for photo ops when I don't want to carry the whole lot is an intriguing idea.

P

I've just picked up a Tello which I'm enjoying and it's got me thinking differently about how I use my Spark.

The Tello is super quick to launch for a quick snap using just the phone as the controller. Of course, the Spark supports this too but I've never done it.

Does anyone use their Spark this way? Just having the drone and one battery in my bag for photo ops when I don't want to carry the whole lot is an intriguing idea.

P

Yes, we do for indoor tactical operations. Using just the device is limiting range and altitude so if you want to fly higher than about16 ft. or farther than about100 ft., stick with the remote controller.

You can search youtube for flying spark without remote controller. All of the channels pretty much support what DesertWindAero states above. However, my personal experience is that panning is MUCH smoother than using the controller with the Joystick spring resistance fighting the panning move.
I don't think that getting the Spark up into the air is any faster because the RC will link with the AC before the DJI GO 4 app loads, so no gain in launch time.
I'm wondering if anyone has used a game controller as the remote, and is the joystick usage improved over DJI RC. Anyone use a game controller? There are Youtube videos covering that as well, but none of them show the footage from the Spark just the channel filming themselves using the controller.

Reactions: ELD.visuals
I typically just use my phone for the Spark. I don't fly just to fly though, I am usually just putting it up for a specific shot I have in mind. I like not having to bring the controller with me all the time.

Reactions: Rob Stowell

P

I’m looking to do this when out for a [emoji125]‍♂️. I’ve tested active track with phone and RC. RC definitely better but less convenient.

I’d like to be able to use Autopilot app without RC but can’t see if that is possible.

Flying with RC is great but agree that there is a lot to be said for some quick and easy phone only shots.

the app takes longer to load then does the RC to connect with the AC, so no gain just using phone.
Occasionally, I use phone only because I think Spark pans better with the phone than the RC joystick spring action

the app takes longer to load then does the RC to connect with the AC, so no gain just using phone.
Occasionally, I use phone only because I think Spark pans better with the phone than the RC joystick spring action
Do you think it's the stick spring causing the jerky yaw movements? It sure isn't as smooth as my Mavic Pro?

Last edited:
Never used just the phone. I think the main part of the enjoyment is the precision control and response with an RC. But of course it's personal preference.

Yes and no. The spring doesn't help.
However, the remote joy stick springs are only a part of the issue.
The real issue is that the firmware is set to maximum sensitivity. You can adjust the stick sensitivity, but that action also slows the already too slow Spark even further, and only somewhat improves the pan/yaw.
Until August 2017, the sensitivity could be adjusted in DJI assistant 2 V1.1.2 without affecting Spark' speed, but with the release of V1.1.6 that access to the parameters has been revoked.
There is a way to regain access to V1.1.2, and the ability to change the parameters. Once in, it is very easy, and the yaw is not the only parameter that can be changed.
I have just started down that road.
After making changes to the Yaw, and max speed in GPS mode., I flew my Spark, and I am amazed at the difference.
I am working with others to fine tune best settings.
Not sure how familiar you are with DJI drones. The phantom series has the option to fly in attitude mode. This mode results in a much smoother flight than does GPS constant micro position adjustment in 3d space. However, it requires greater attention to be paid to the flight. For example, the wind will push the drone any which way it wants to while in attitude mode. I mention all of this because both the Spark and Mavic can have Sport mode switch converted to trigger attitude mode instead of sport mode. DJI simply chooses to not make it an option. But, by changing the parameter that the sport mode switch triggers we can have attitude mode. To me, attitude mode is the same as Cinematic mode with the mavic pro.
Really, the sky is the limit once you gain access to the parameters.
So, why does DJI restrict the Spark' abilities? Many reasons including protecting new pilots. However, I believe it also does this so that we will buy more expensive drones that have the abilities Spark lacks. But, Spark actually has those abilities. Access to those capabilities has been restricted by factory settings.
You may have noticed that the Spark, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, and Inspire all use the app DJI Go 4. If they all use the same app, what could be the difference in performance? The parameter attributes that they all share have different factory settings.
Spark in GPS mode is actually capable of speeds up to 40mph, and that's GPS not Sport mode. But, it is artificially restricted by the parameter settings. Of course at 40mph the battery will be consumed much more quickly. The battery performance can also be adjusted using V1.1.2

If you are simply trying to solve for a smoother pan/yaw, then switch to Tripod mode. Tripod mode will govern top speed to 2.2 mph, which will result in a smoother pan/yaw. You could take it one step further and reduce stick sensitivity while in Tripod mode. This should reduce the top speed to 1.1 mph. 1.1 mph is the speed DJI uses to execute intelligent flight modes like circle, and point of interest.

With Spark, your best out of the box flight patterns for videography are up/down, forward/backward. If you use your phone, you can lean into the direction by rolling your thumb. In my experience it results in a much smoother pan/yaw.

All of this may seem overwhelming. However, the main message is that Spark is capable of more than DJI gives us. And, we have the ability to improve the performance. We simply have to gain access to DJI Assistant 2 V1.1.2.

This video will give you insight into this.

Being that with Spark we don't need to rollback the firmware, what matters most begins at minute 9:40

Reactions: Ron_Dog
Yes and no. The spring doesn't help.
However, the remote joy stick springs are only a part of the issue.
The real issue is that the firmware is set to maximum sensitivity. You can adjust the stick sensitivity, but that action also slows the already too slow Spark even further, and only somewhat improves the pan/yaw.
Until August 2017, the sensitivity could be adjusted in DJI assistant 2 V1.1.2 without affecting Spark' speed, but with the release of V1.1.6 that access to the parameters has been revoked.
There is a way to regain access to V1.1.2, and the ability to change the parameters. Once in, it is very easy, and the yaw is not the only parameter that can be changed.
I have just started down that road.
After making changes to the Yaw, and max speed in GPS mode., I flew my Spark, and I am amazed at the difference.
I am working with others to fine tune best settings.
Not sure how familiar you are with DJI drones. The phantom series has the option to fly in attitude mode. This mode results in a much smoother flight than does GPS constant micro position adjustment in 3d space. However, it requires greater attention to be paid to the flight. For example, the wind will push the drone any which way it wants to while in attitude mode. I mention all of this because both the Spark and Mavic can have Sport mode switch converted to trigger attitude mode instead of sport mode. DJI simply chooses to not make it an option. But, by changing the parameter that the sport mode switch triggers we can have attitude mode. To me, attitude mode is the same as Cinematic mode with the mavic pro.
Really, the sky is the limit once you gain access to the parameters.
So, why does DJI restrict the Spark' abilities? Many reasons including protecting new pilots. However, I believe it also does this so that we will buy more expensive drones that have the abilities Spark lacks. But, Spark actually has those abilities. Access to those capabilities has been restricted by factory settings.
You may have noticed that the Spark, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, and Inspire all use the app DJI Go 4. If they all use the same app, what could be the difference in performance? The parameter attributes that they all share have different factory settings.
Spark in GPS mode is actually capable of speeds up to 40mph, and that's GPS not Sport mode. But, it is artificially restricted by the parameter settings. Of course at 40mph the battery will be consumed much more quickly. The battery performance can also be adjusted using V1.1.2

If you are simply trying to solve for a smoother pan/yaw, then switch to Tripod mode. Tripod mode will govern top speed to 2.2 mph, which will result in a smoother pan/yaw. You could take it one step further and reduce stick sensitivity while in Tripod mode. This should reduce the top speed to 1.1 mph. 1.1 mph is the speed DJI uses to execute intelligent flight modes like circle, and point of interest.

With Spark, your best out of the box flight patterns for videography are up/down, forward/backward. If you use your phone, you can lean into the direction by rolling your thumb. In my experience it results in a much smoother pan/yaw.

All of this may seem overwhelming. However, the main message is that Spark is capable of more than DJI gives us. And, we have the ability to improve the performance. We simply have to gain access to DJI Assistant 2 V1.1.2.

This video will give you insight into this.

Being that with Spark we don't need to rollback the firmware, what matters most begins at minute 9:40
Thanks! :) I really don't like the way it yaw's and was wishing it had exponential like the other DJI drone's! I've done the mode change dance trying to get a smooth panning shot, and it can be done, but it's really a pain, when the fix would make the drone fly so much smoother.

The gain is not having to hold a controller and phone whilst running.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ariadef