Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark RC WIFI Connection Issue

Rob C

Join
Jan 5, 2018
I would appreciate hearing from others who may be experiencing this issue: When powering up all the equipment to go fly I generally 1) power up drone and wait for tones, 2) power up RC and open the WIFI on my LG G4 Android 6.0 mobile device and wait (and wait, and wait, and wait) for the Spark-RC to show up as connected, then 3) open the DJI GO4 app and go fly. HOWEVER, on most flights it seems that I have to power up the Spark-RC twice to get past Step 2! The RC link light will even go green and yet the RC doesn't show in the WIFI on the mobile device. Curious to hear from the members here.

Hello Rob, just flew my spark twice since I updated my phone and the drone yesterday , things seem to be working well but it does take a long time for the final connect for go fly, battery time is not that long anyway so I hope we can find an answer

Hello Rob, just flew my spark twice since I updated my phone and the drone yesterday , things seem to be working well but it does take a long time for the final connect for go fly, battery time is not that long anyway so I hope we can find an answer
Thanks for the words. I hate wasting battery life waiting for the connection but until something changes I can still fly this way.

Hi Rob ,

i also flew a couple of times and here is what i do :

Power up the spak , push the power button for 3 seconds until i hear the sound that tells me that is ready to be paired.
Power up the RC , wait until light goes green and then press pause , fn and customizable button simultaneously.
Open DJ Go app and manually connect to the rc wifi.

Hi Rob ,

Power up the spak , push the power button for 3 seconds until i hear the sound that tells me that is ready to be paired.
Power up the RC , wait until light goes green and then press pause , fn and customizable button simultaneously.
Thanks for the reply. If your procedure works that is great news. I really question my procedure when I have watched so many youtube videos where the host just turns on the Spark then the RC and voila! They go flying in under a minute. I THOUGHT I was doing things correctly and I still believe I am but as I mentioned before I hate wasting battery sitting on the ground in limbo waiting for the RC to show up. Thanks again.

I am not saying i am doing it correctly , since i just flew the spark 2 times outside. Actually i am watching some videos now and i see i am doing it wrong :)

Hi Rob ,

I think what you're describing is the method for switching between hand, phone or controller for use controlling the Spark. There is a ping associated with holding down the battery button. If I recall correctly, one ping to use the controller, two pings to use hand gesture, and three pings to use the phone alone to control flight. I believe what you want is one ping, so that the controller links to the Spark.

P.S., you should only have to do this once.

I think what you're describing is the method for switching between hand, phone or controller for use controlling the Spark. There is a ping associated with holding down the battery button. If I recall correctly, one ping to use the controller, two pings to use hand gesture, and three pings to use the phone alone to control flight. I believe what you want is one ping, so that the controller links to the Spark.

You are absolutely correct.

I just did a test.

1. Powered up the Spark , pressed the button for 3 secs until i heard the beep.
  2. Powered up the RC , waited until i saw the green light , pressed pause , fn and customizable and linked the rc to the spark.
  3. Shut down Spark
  4. Shut down RC
  5. Power up Spark
  6. Power up RC
  7. Did nothing and the RC connected to Spark.

I would appreciate hearing from others who may be experiencing this issue: When powering up all the equipment to go fly I generally 1) power up drone and wait for tones, 2) power up RC and open the WIFI on my LG G4 Android 6.0 mobile device and wait (and wait, and wait, and wait) for the Spark-RC to show up as connected, then 3) open the DJI GO4 app and go fly. HOWEVER, on most flights it seems that I have to power up the Spark-RC twice to get past Step 2! The RC link light will even go green and yet the RC doesn't show in the WIFI on the mobile device. Curious to hear from the members here.
I've had this exact scenario happen a few times to me. RC and AC are connected (green light on RC), but no RC wifi showing in the list. Oddly, I've found that leaving the screen off on my Tab S3 until RC/AC have established a link helps. But I really have no solid theory on why this happens. These days I just use the modded DJI app and OTG cable, problem solved.

You are absolutely correct.

I just did a test.

1. Powered up the Spark , pressed the button for 3 secs until i heard the beep.
  2. Powered up the RC , waited until i saw the green light , pressed pause , fn and customizable and linked the rc to the spark.
  3. Shut down Spark
  4. Shut down RC
  5. Power up Spark
  6. Power up RC
  7. Did nothing and the RC connected to Spark.
I just tried the procedure exactly as you describe it. What happens is that after I get the green light on the RC and press pause, Fn, and customizable and hold them, the RC green light begins flashing and beeping rapidly and wont stop unless I power down the RC. Each time I have been successful in connecting it all and flying I have had to restart the RC. Am I holding the three buttons too long? I thought I had successfully linked the drone and RC before.

I do not think you are holding the 3 RC buttons too long.

You said the beeping from the RC will not stop until you power down the Spark.

What do you do after that ? I mean what is your procedure to get them connected again ?

I just tried the procedure exactly as you describe it. What happens is that after I get the green light on the RC and press pause, Fn, and customizable and hold them, the RC green light begins flashing and beeping rapidly and wont stop unless I power down the RC. Each time I have been successful in connecting it all and flying I have had to restart the RC. Am I holding the three buttons too long? I thought I had successfully linked the drone and RC before.
You should not have to re-pair your RC every time you want to fly. That only has to be done one time, and only if you didn't buy the fly-more combo.

Reactions: mildim
I've had this exact scenario happen a few times to me. RC and AC are connected (green light on RC), but no RC wifi showing in the list. Oddly, I've found that leaving the screen off on my Tab S3 until RC/AC have established a link helps. But I really have no solid theory on why this happens. These days I just use the modded DJI app and OTG cable, problem solved.
I had already purchased an OTG cable to use but all the posts I read and videos I watch have too many instances where using the current DJI GO4 app version and an OTG cable somehow does not give the flight telemetry info for speed, altitude, and distance. I really just want this drone to just hook up and go flying but has had issues to some extent every time I try.

I had already purchased an OTG cable to use but all the posts I read and videos I watch have too many instances where using the current DJI GO4 app version and an OTG cable somehow does not give the flight telemetry info for speed, altitude, and distance. I really just want this drone to just hook up and go flying but has had issues to some extent every time I try.
Correct, OTG and official DJI app don't play nice together. That's why I use this: DJI GO 4 MOD 2.0 | DJI GO 4 MOD LITE [ Additional Features | Android | App Ver. 4.1.15 ]

You should not have to re-pair your RC every time you want to fly. That only has to be done one time, and only if you didn't buy the fly-more combo.
That was the theory I was operating under but reality doesn't seem to bear that out thus far. I will un-pair the two devices and start over again. Do you suppose having done the initial (and subsequent) linking indoors would have an effect? I am aware of how to un-pair (aka reset) the Spark but is there a way (or even a need) to clear the RC's previous linking also?

That was the theory I was operating under but reality doesn't seem to bear that out thus far. I will un-pair the two devices and start over again. Do you suppose having done the initial (and subsequent) linking indoors would have an effect? I am aware of how to un-pair (aka reset) the Spark but is there a way (or even a need) to clear the RC's previous linking also?
Pairing indoors shouldn't be an issue. I'm not aware of any way to reset the RC, but I've never had to so I've never looked into it.

Pairing indoors shouldn't be an issue. I'm not aware of any way to reset the RC, but I've never had to so I've never looked into it.
I believe I am going to follow your path and reload the DJI GO4 app you suggested. Using the version you use, is the flight data displayed as it should be? As a new pilot I really like knowing what is going on with the aircraft.

I believe I am going to follow your path and reload the DJI GO4 app you suggested. Using the version you use, is the flight data displayed as it should be? As a new pilot I really like knowing what is going on with the aircraft.
Yes, all telemetry data is displayed.

Let us know how this goes. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis