Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark+Portable Charging Station+Controller+Charging Station Bag=Perfection

Chrislaf

Join
Oct 12, 2017
Loc
ON, Canada
I love this setup. I can go anywhere with my Spark in my backpack! Today, I was out on my snowmobile on the frozen lake and then on the snowmobile trails. Stopped on the lake and took some shots of the ice huts, then on the trail in a scenic area. Used both of my batteries (other is on way to DJI for warranty replacement due to a bad cell) and then put everything back on the charger and continued on for the next use. Tomorrow, I plan on skiing to an abandoned settlement. None of this is possible with my P3S which I still use from accessible locations.

When the Mavic Air was released, I wondered if I should have waited and got it (got my Spark for Christmas), but now I know the Spark is the best solution for me. The air folds up smaller but at this time it can't match the convenience of the Spark+Charging Station+Controller+Charging Station Bag. Also, I take mostly photos so the Spark is perfect.

Chris

Reactions: Sparkster
Hi Chris, i have a Smatree case for mine, carries The Spark, 4 Batteries, Prop Guards and Spare Props as well as cables. It's air tight and water tight and makes a great Take off/Landing Pad. The case/bag that the Spark came with originally is now used to carry the Smatree Charger and 2 spare Batteries and i've got to say i'm impressed with the Smatree charger. Fully charged it can charge 6 Batteries ( 3 at a time ). I have a P3A which i love but for quickness and convenience i really love the Spark. Just wish the weather over here in the UK would improve a bit lol.

Sounds like you have a good setup too. Is the Smatree case a hard case? Right now I only use the charging station case. I don’t need to carry the power adapter because it has a battery in it. I just throw the whole thing in my small backpack and I have everything I need for a day with the Spark. I can’t believe how convenient it is to bring my Spark everywhere in addition to my DSLR and tripod. I too love my P3S and still use it in accessible locations as it’s camera is better and it is more stable in the air.

Last summer, I went on a road trip out to the Canadian Rockies with the family. We pulled our trailer and I hauled out the P3S in its Nanuk hard case (I also have a backpack for it). Never used it once in the 5 weeks of the trip 1) because drones were not allowed in the National Parks, and 2) because it takes so long to get setup/pack-up. If I would have had my Spark then, I know I would have flown it many times especially when we stopped along the way.

Chris

Reactions: Ed Grez
Hi there from Austria. My question is - what is the better thing - the original Chargestation from DJI or the Smartreecharger?
Can you tell me your experiences so i can choose the "best" way for my trips with the Spark.
My requirements would be to spend a day with as much batterypower as possible. Currently i have two batteries and would add two more, so the DJI station could be the one, because the price of €169,- could worth it. Or is the purchase of Smartree with two more batteries better? What's your opinion?

Hi Mark and Chris. The Smatree Case i have is a Hard Case, it can hold the Spark, Controller, 4 Batteries, Prop Guards and bits and bobs, there's even an area for the Spark Charger but i use this space for over things, as the Smatree Charger i have was a little bit bigger than the space provided in the case for the genuine Spark Charger, and like i said as the case is HARD it makes a nice Takeoff/Landing Pad too. Mike, i'm not familiar with the DJI Chargestation but what i can say is that once the Smatree Charger is fully charged it will charge 6 Spark Batteries ( 3 at a time ), it's fully portable and fits nicely in the soft case which came with my Spark Combo and this also holds my other 2 Batteries and other items. i suppose it's a matter of personal choice regarding the chargers but so far i have had no issues with the Smatree Charger i.e overheating etc. Couldn't be happier with the set-up.

Hi there from Austria. My question is - what is the better thing - the original Chargestation from DJI or the Smartreecharger?
Can you tell me your experiences so i can choose the "best" way for my trips with the Spark.
My requirements would be to spend a day with as much batterypower as possible. Currently i have two batteries and would add two more, so the DJI station could be the one, because the price of €169,- could worth it. Or is the purchase of Smartree with two more batteries better? What's your opinion?
I don’t have the Smatree charger so can’t say anything about it. I have the charging station. It was called the portable power pack because it came with 2 batteries, but you can just buy the charging station without the bateries. I also have the charging station bag which fits the charging station (Spark with battery plus 2 more batteries) and the controller. The charging station bag is semi hard and light.

What I like about the charging station is that it holds and charges the Spark with battery and two more batteries all in a super compact design. I put my Spark and batteries in the charging station, grab the controller and put it into the case. I then put the case in my backpack along with my camera then I’m off on a ski, hike, etc. When I get to my location I fly my 3 batteries, then put them on the charger and I’m off again to the next spot. With the charging station the Spark can be charged with its battery installed (super convenient). The charging station also has a usb port that can be used to charge the controller or your device. Everything is together in one unit - very convenient.

Good luck with your choice.
Chris

Reactions: czechmark
I 2nd the DJI charging station. I bought it direct from DJI for $139. The price can’t be beat. Considering batteries cost $50 each, it’s like getting the power pack for $39.

I also got the case for it and gleefully throw my Spark, 2 extra batteries and controller in it. With such a small footprint, it really is super portable.

It charges the batteries one at a time (Spark battery first, then the 2 extra) - not simultaneously. This is fine for me because I just put each battery on the charger as soon as it’s empty and start charging shile I’m still flying the other two.

I have no experience with the smatree, but I am fearful of third party batteries and chargers for expensive electronics because they could cook your gear. I read somewhere that the smatree chargers had an issue with catching fire for a while. Simultaneously charging 3 Spark batteries from a lipo battery does seem a bit much and I have to assume there’s a reason DJI didn’t do the same.

I’m really not trying to bash smatree as I have never used them, but the DJI is so portable and well designed and compact that I couldn’t be happier. I also rest a bit easier knowing the people that know the most about my Spark and batteries designed it and I’m not risking my warranty, etc.

Happy Smatree charger user here. 0 issues so far. Never produced any significant Heat. Batteries are 26C freshly charged. only have 2 batteries atm, ideally would be 3 if you wanna keep flying.

One other added advantage of the charging station is that it protects the Spark and the batteries. The camera and gimbal are completely protected and enclosed in the charging station.

Chris

That’s my setup too.
Spark fits perfectly. I bought propeller fixed tool and gimbal cover but sold it since everything fits perfectly without those accessories.
I bought flying combo from micro center for $335 and sold charger, bag and some other stuffs from flying combo package then got charging station with two extra battery for $140 so it was almost free.
I have old laptop bag and I just put all the items there without problems. Nowadays laptop is thin so I thought I won’t use the old laptop bag but Now I can reuse old laptop bag for spark.

Here is pic of it.
2ez3b5l.jpg

Opened charging station. When the charging staion is closed, spark does not move.
Got remote case and fit perfectly both charging station and remote case together ^_^
I thought about getting charging station bag but I can’t put charging cable, charging block and some other accessories so I passed then I pulled put old laptop bag and it’s good setup.

Last edited:
I'm loving my charging station, but think an RC charging dock would be a great addition :)

Hi there again.
Bought the original DJI Charging Station and be happy with it. Spent the last week in Crete (Greek) and the combination from chargingstation, case for the whole equipment (Spark, RC, 4 batteries) in the original DJI-Case was the best choice i did.
So i have to produce a video and share them as soon as possible.

You know it has a USB port on it to charge the remote, right?
Yes lol. I was trying to say that the way 2 batteries and Spark lock into the charger is good for transporting, but if there was a section to clip in and charge the remote also then that would be cool.

The air folds up smaller
I keep seeing this being repeated and it is incorrect. The Spark still has a smaller footprint than the AIR even when folded. The height of the AIR makes it less "travel size" IMO.

I keep seeing this being repeated and it is incorrect. The Spark still has a smaller footprint than the AIR even when folded. The height of the AIR makes it less "travel size" IMO.
Thanks for the clarification. Don't have an Air to compare to, just going on what I have read and seen online. That's a good point about the height. Regardless, I love the size of my Spark - so easy to take anywhere, yet has so many features.

Chris

Thanks for the clarification. Don't have an Air to compare to, just going on what I have read and seen online. That's a good point about the height. Regardless, I love the size of my Spark - so easy to take anywhere, yet has so many features.

Chris
Totally, the Spark is a fantastic mobile drone. Spark remains my personal favorite on the market since it is the only one I can launch/land by hand.

Totally, the Spark is a fantastic mobile drone. Spark remains my personal favorite on the market since it is the only one I can launch/land by hand.
Also, its the only one that can be docked and charged with 2 additional batteries in the Charging Station.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis