Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark on strong wind

Amazingly steady considering how the trees were shaking. I have not been brave enough to fly in high winds yet. That was a great video of a beautiful place too! Where is this place?

Reactions: DMZ
Thanks for all! I am sorry for late reply. For editing, I use Sony Vegas. But my computer is too slow so there are mistakes. Location is Serbia, Gledice mountain. This is the highest point.

Thanks for suggestion! Yes, cuts are too short, because I wanted to avoid that video be boring. Maybe I exaggerated? Sometimes it's hard to find the middle value.

Thanks for suggestion! Yes, cuts are too short, because I wanted to avoid that video be boring. Maybe I exaggerated? Sometimes it's hard to find the middle value.

From what I found, less is indeed more.
Maybe 12 second scenes?
I usually use 10s with 2 sec cross-fades set for straight diagonal cut times - no curves.
Also, try to transition with the change in music - the down beat

Sony Vegas was my "go to editor".
Been using it since 2003 when it was Sonic Screenblast 3.0
Needed something easier and quicker to use and found Filmora.

I also use Pro Dad Mercalli 3.0 for stabilization.

But just discovered today Filmora has stabilization - testing that now.

I was in Spain. It was announced up to 50km/h wind and up to 85km/h gusts of wind. I avoided the most extreme cases by luck I suppose, so maybe 40km/h with 70km/h gusts. However it was clearly beyond the specs. I took many crisp stills with no blur (it was a sunny day so it used very fast stills on 100 ISO).
The spark was very stable even if clearly leaning facing the wind, but on big gusts of wind he was suddenly pushed for 10 to 20m before it dropped some hight, and came back on its own to position (though have to push him manually to regain some little height lost). I used manual sports mode (no other way to face that situation).
Panorama mode refused to function, saying too much wind. In that case the Spark doesn't take any picture. So take care. You have to move back to configure as standard still. However AEB worked. Also the Spark was very easy to maneuver, in place, to take myself the pictures for the panorama, I could create manually later on my computer.
On problem I had is that the wind counteraction of the Spark prevented me of taking photographs just beneath the drone.

So don't be afraid by big winds with the Spark.
However I'm just thinking at the fact that the Mavic Air/Pro are supposed to be limited at less than 30km/h winds while they can be much faster (at nearly 70km/h) than the Spark (55km/h in sport mode). So not sure, if the winds were lower than expected (it really didn't feel that way) or if the Spark is underrated to avoid to compete against the Mavics.

Does the Spark save the speed of the wind he measures somewhere, like in the Exif of the photos ? Can't find anything.

Last edited:
AFAIK, wind measurement is not recorded in any log.

But there is attitude indicator to detect it:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delf