Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark> Mavic Air: Worth upgrading?

Thats another good point. The MP is more quiet than the MA. Some videos that do a db test shows the MA is not any louder but there is definitely something either the pitch of the blades or something that IMO, makes the sound of the MA more annoying and I can hear it further away than even my Spark. I guess on the positive side even when I temporarily lose sight of my MA I know its still airborne as I can hear the motors going.
I think there is a marked difference even between the standard Mavic Pro and the Platinum Pro on a sound level.

Would you not say the ability to take photos in RAW/DNG format would give the Air the edge over the Spark?
Typically yes, this would annoy me. However I have found that the images taken by the Spark (with the right settings) give me plenty of wiggle room in post production. The Spark and the Mavic use the exact same camera sensor after all. The only difference being that on the Spark, a bit of compression is applied in the making of the .jpg format. Now if I was a professional photographer and my career depended on it then I wouldn't be flying the Spark in the first place. I am more than satisfied with the 4K images produced by the Spark especially since post production is required on all photos taken on DJI drones anyway.

Reactions: antnyp85
I'm currently contemplating upgrading my spark to a Mavic air. Issue is I can't afford both, so spark would have to go to help finance it.

I'm primarily interested in the extended range and flight times. 4K is a nice bonus.

So what do you guys think? Any opinions from the guys who have both?

I’ll go for a Mavic pro, longer flight time, longer distance, more stable and 100% sure OTG works, for less than $200 more than an Air. I have both Spark and Mavic Pro. I kept the Spark for fun because of the size and I take it with me all the time.

Hi everyone,

I can't really go through and address everyone's comments individually otherwise my post would be mile long haha. But thank you all for your input and opinions, especially valuable to hear from those of you with experience of the different modes. Think I'll just hang onto my spark for now and perhaps keep an eye open for a cheap Mavic in the mean time, can't be long before they release the Mavic 2 right?

Reactions: Sparkbart
I've watched the comparison videos of course, but real world experience is always better. So a few more questions if you's don't mind?

I have my dedicated bag with my kit in ready to go, but generally I find myself going out on a dedicated mission as appose to spur of the moment photography. How do you feel the Mavic's portability compares to the Spark's in this type of scenario?

Why is it so many people keep saying things along the lines of "I take my spark more often than the mavic"?

Is it really much more noticeable in air? I occasionally like to take urban area photos...

I've watched the comparison videos of course, but real world experience is always better. So a few more questions if you's don't mind?

I have my dedicated bag with my kit in ready to go, but generally I find myself going out on a dedicated mission as appose to spur of the moment photography. How do you feel the Mavic's portability compares to the Spark's in this type of scenario?

Why is it so many people keep saying things along the lines of "I take my spark more often than the mavic"?

Is it really much more noticeable in air? I occasionally like to take urban area photos...

Yep, it’s size. I get a lot less hassle with the Spark than the Mavic.

Reactions: Sparkbart
Yep, it’s size. I get a lot less hassle with the Spark than the Mavic.

I guessed as much. Had a few people stop to ask questions but never anything negative.

Saw one guy that said he wore a Hi-Viz and lanyard so people would leave him alone! Haha.:D

I'm the same way. I tend to grab my Spark and take it along more often than I do either Mavic. Simply put it comes down to space and ease of transport. The Spark in its foam case has everything I need with the exception of the Remote. I take it when I'm not sure if I'm going to fly or not. IF my trip involves a planned shoot. I'll bring my Mavic Pro....

QUOTE="Stevan, post: 41939, member: 4329"]I've watched the comparison videos of course, but real world experience is always better. So a few more questions if you's don't mind?

Is it really much more noticeable in air? I occasionally like to take urban area photos...[/QUOTE]

Thats another good point. The MP is more quiet than the MA. Some videos that do a db test shows the MA is not any louder but there is definitely something either the pitch of the blades or something that IMO, makes the sound of the MA more annoying and I can hear it further away than even my Spark. I guess on the positive side even when I temporarily lose sight of my MA I know its still airborne as I can hear the motors going.
Personally I don't carry around a decibel meter when I fly. The "noise "difference is negligible. I too bought a Spark at the beginning of January having no idea that the MA was going to be announced shortly after. I bought my Mavic Air as soon as they were released, and I have absolutely no regrets in doing so. The MA is an incredible piece of technology. To me the Mavic Pro just feels flimsy and easy to break. It does not pass my squeeze and shake test. Lots of rattling going on there, especially the floppy arms and gimbal. The MA is solid as a rock. I have flown out over 2 miles and never had any issues what-so-ever. Not once. Ni wifi issues, no interfernce warnings, nothing. But then I live on 3500 acres with no interference at all. When and if a new Mavic Pro is introduce I believe we'll see some major design changes. I like my Spark very much and will not get rid of it. But I absolutely love the MA. To each there own I guess.

I don’t have a MA but have my Spark in Charging Station bag (Spark, charging station, and remote) - everything I need to support my Spark. It goes with me everywhere - sometimes in my normal backpack, often in my photo backpack with my 2 DSLRs, or sometimes I just carry the bag by itself. It is an amazingly versatile grab-n-go kit contained in such a small package.

I have a Phantom 3 Standard (better camera with more options) and backpack but it is surprising how I prefer the Spark more. I didn’t realize how much convenience would trump everything else!

Chris

I didn’t realize how much convenience would trump everything else!

Chris

That’s why I bought a Spark, because it goes into my camera bag with more room to spare than my Mavic Pro.

Then, that’s why I bought a Mavic Air, because that takes even less room than my Spark.

Then, that’s why I bought a Mavic Air, because that takes even less room than my Spark.

Even though the Mavic Air folds up smaller, when you add two extra batteries a charging station that has a battery built-in, and the controller, do you find it as portable as the Spark charging station kit?

When I bought my Spark, the Mavic Air wasn’t out. I might have been tempted at that time to go with the Air if it was available because it offers more. Now, unless there is some sort of docking station released for the Air, I am sticking with Spark and my decision would be the same now even with the release of the Air.

Chris

Even though the Mavic Air folds up smaller, when you add two extra batteries a charging station that has a battery built-in, and the controller, do you find it as portable as the Spark charging station kit?

When I bought my Spark, the Mavic Air wasn’t out. I might have been tempted at that time to go with the Air if it was available because it offers more. Now, unless there is some sort of docking station released for the Air, I am sticking with Spark and my decision would be the same now even with the release of the Air.

Chris
If I’m out shooting I don’t take the chargers. Also, the controller is the same size as the Spark, but as the sticks unscrew it is easier to pack as it takes less space. Two MA lipo's last longer than three Spark lipos.

I'm currently contemplating upgrading my spark to a Mavic air. Issue is I can't afford both, so spark would have to go to help finance it.

I'm primarily interested in the extended range and flight times. 4K is a nice bonus.

I bought my spark late and was lamenting the decision when the Air came out shortly after. Not now, happy with the Spark. What every Spark owner should be doing is canvassing DJI to put out higher density, new tech extended Amp HR batteries. ...

And here's a heads up for all Spark owners... There have been numerous posts on drone forums the past several weeks online of guys putting the folding Spark propellers on the Air... I decided yesterday to buy a set of Air propellers and fitted them to the Spark. (place a small strip of masking tape on each tip, mark a line exactly 8mm from the tips and cut off with good scissors, use a sanding block to round the corners at 2R, and while your at it sand off the raised markings on the upper side of the blade.) What I got on 3 comparison tests from full battery to 20% at static 1.5 meter hover with the Air blades fitted was 1) Reduced battery temp 3 degrees. 2) Quieter by 3dB 3) 25-30 seconds extra flight time (3%).
Not fantastic, but it works really well.
Imagine that combined with a 30-35% increase in the batteries mAh capacity, which DJI could very easily do.
I don't like DJI s constant push advertising or the fact that they do not look after customers needs or requests. Chinese company geared up for profit first. Everybody should hit them hard for better batteries! !!!!!! !

I’ve flown both. Both have great points as to desirability. For me, the Spark best fits my needs for photography and video. Love it that no one cares I’m flying a drone due to size. Many people freak when you break out a pro or a larger drone. Battery length has not really been an issue as who films for over 19 minutes straight anyhow.

I’ve flown both. Both have great points as to desirability. For me, the Spark best fits my needs for photography and video. Love it that no one cares I’m flying a drone due to size. Many people freak when you break out a pro or a larger drone. Battery length has not really been an issue as who films for over 19 minutes straight anyhow.
True! I bought the Doby before the Spark (Dumb impulse buy in Dubai) 7 minutes flight time however is great for teaching you to plan what your shots or video needs before you even take off! The Air blades also have a lower pitch which makes the Spark even less buzzy.... Better flight times would still be a bonus as you could realistically fly further away for shots you can't get close to. I already know nobody wants to sit thru 20 minutes of video, the average length of a song (3-4 minutes is more than enough right) . DJI knows battery tech has improved leaps since the Spark was released, the point I'm trying to make is that they don't want to because they are selling longer flight times to new models and focusing purely on profit. .. If Spark owners hit them hard enough sooner or later they have to listen or 3rd parties will. DJI are insidiously clever however and that's why their batteries are "Smart"

I think you are right, those are the best overall, but I like the smaller size of the Air for travel. I travel a lot and take my Spark everywhere., the Mavik pro just seems a bit too big for that. Also too obvious in the air, no one pays much attention to the Spark in the air. Not that I fly where I shouldn't, I just don't like drawing attention.

I don't see anyone talking about the weight.... while this for me would be a big adventage... One thing I like about the Spark is that it weighs 300gr and the Air 430gr... This means in most countries, that the gross of 'drone rules' do not apply to these two. I believe 500gr is the bottom line in concern of weight... if I remember correctly.

Otherwise, I'm also considering the Air... the 4K 3 axis gimbal are big pros.... of course, I was having the thought why not the PRO.... but then again the extra sensors on the Air and the advanced pilot function are also big winners for me.

So for me, I'll most likely buy the Air soon... next to my little Sparky :)

Here is a nice comparison
DJI Mavic Air vs DJI Spark: Worth the upgrade? - Pocket-lint

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena