Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark First Impressions/Observations

Chrislaf

Join
Oct 12, 2017
Loc
ON, Canada
Wow! The Spark is so tiny compared to my P3S. I purchased the Spark, remote, and the Battery Charging Station ( which included 2 additional batteries) and the charging station case. I have only done 6 flights so far all in cold weather averaging around -8 to -10ºC since winter is in full swing here. All the flights have been only a short distance away until I get to know how the Spark handles.

Impressions/Observations
It's tiny: I can pack it in its case and throw it in my backpack with my DSLR and other stuff and go skiing, hiking or snowmobiling.
Fast and easy to set up: Don't need to worry about installing props and finding a good launch location.
Camera: Gimbal can't tilt up, whereas on my P3S it can tilt up about 15º. Not a big problem but when I do 360º panos there is less sky in the pano.
Landing is more tricky: With my P3S, I usually hand catch. With Spark it almost fell out of my hand when I tried auto land onto my hand. I have been hand catching and flipping sideways to turn off and this has been working but the motors rev up because of OA. When I tried left stick down the motors still rev'd and didn't turn off after 3 sec so I just flip it. Bought myself a landing pad and will be using that in future.
Photos: I take mostly photos and although they are JPEG only they are bright and sharp.
Videos: I get this vertical jump every so often in all of my videos even when it is a calm day. Not sure if this is because of the 2-axis gimbal, but with my P3S every video was always buttery smooth.
Portable Charging Station: I love it! It's super convenient and compact and will be perfect for being on the go with the Spark.
Battery Cell Deviation: The battery that came with the Spark has had major cell deviations on the 3rd cell for every flight so far (only 3). According to Airdata this is normal for all batteries every once in a while. I do have 2 other batteries but will need to watch this one. Don't want my Spark falling out of the sky (even though I have Refresh).
Cell Phone as controller: Haven't tried it yet, but this will be handy when I just want to bring the Spark and nothing else and want to stay close by.

So far, I love my Spark. It will be a perfect complement to my P3S.

Chris

Great write-up

I also noticed cell deviations in cell 3 on 1 of my batteries. Took it back to the box store I bought it from and exchanged it for a new one. The new one even shows a deviation in the 3rd cell lol.. can't win

I also noticed cell deviations in cell 3 on 1 of my batteries. Took it back to the box store I bought it from and exchanged it for a new one. The new one even shows a deviation in the 3rd cell lol.. can't win
When I look st the battery in GO4 all cells look normal but when I use Airdata which gives more detail, there is major deviations pretty consistently on the 3rd cell. I’m going to watch this battery closely and if it doesn’t improve I’ll see what DJI says.

Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502