Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark Charging Station and General Charging Question

nutsnbolts

Join
Nov 25, 2017
Simply put..do you keep your batteries plugged in? Whether it be through the charging station or through the 3 battery charging hub?

I am assuming you shouldn't otherwise the batteries would never discharge at their pre-defined days.

No, never. They age faster when fully charged.
I charge them just before flight.

Reactions: Stevan
Meaning to keep them fully charged at all times? No, that's not a good idea. Your batteries will last longer if you maintain them like this.
Sorry I just forgot that I had this post here and I'm just responding now. If I know that I'm going to fly the next couple days could I just leave it plugged in theoretically.

This way I don't have to top it off. Obviously if I know I'm not going to fly anytime soon I should just leave it unplugged and let it go to the discharge cycle.

Also I noticed that you stated that it should be between 25 to 50% charge for storage which means it's two blinking lights why do you charge it to the third light which is 75%?

If I know that I'm going to fly the next couple days could I just leave it plugged in theoretically.
Spark batteries are hard-coded to start auto discharging after being idle for 10 days. If only a couple days have passed since charging them, they should still be at (or very close) to 100% charged.

I noticed that you stated that it should be between 25 to 50% charge for storage which means it's two blinking lights why do you charge it to the third light which is 75%?
DJI recommends storing Spark batteries between 40%-65% charged (see more details in the Spark Battery Safety Guidelines). When the 3rd battery light starts blinking, the battery will be close to the top end of that sweet spot.

I do have a another follow up question. You mentioned in a other post that the batteries can get down to dangerous levels. Something like 3 months it will continue to discharge.

What exactly is dangerous levels? I never knew batteries if left alone (even for more than 3 months) could be dangerous? I thought it would just deplete completely.

By dangerous, I meant the battery could become damaged. If that happens, you won't be able to charge and/or use the battery.
Wow it's crazy how much you have to tend to these. Thanks for the answers. I'm sure I'll have more. :)

I have another question.

I'm curious. In the battery manual. I'm confused as to the two bullet points.

1. DO NOT store the battery for an extended period after fully discharging it. Doing so may over-discharge the battery and cause irreparable battery cell damage.
  2. The battery will enter hibernation mode if depleted and stored for a long period. Recharge the battery to bring it out of hibernation.

If I want to store the battery, let's say I know I'm not going to use it for the next 3+ months. How do I store it properly? From the statement above, it will go on hibernation mode if depleted and stored for a long period of time. But then again, it says, "DO NOT store the battery for an extended period..."

Huh?

I'm not exactly sure how the hibernation mode works (since DJI did not document it anywhere). While I've heard of a few people waking up their batteries from the hibernation mode, the majority have damaged their batteries by storing them unattended for long periods of time. For that reason, I think it's better to always store DJI batteries like this.

Question, I have the spark portable charging station. My general plan is to keep my spark and two spare batteries in the charger and when I am going to go out and fly I will turn the charger on and top off the batteries. After I fly I will charge everything again and then turn off the charger and stow it away with the spark and batteries still connected.

Is it safe to store the batteries in the charging station with the power off? This might be a stupid question but I have had unasked stupid questions bite me in the past.

Question, I have the spark portable charging station. My general plan is to keep my spark and two spare batteries in the charger and when I am going to go out and fly I will turn the charger on and top off the batteries. After I fly I will charge everything again and then turn off the charger and stow it away with the spark and batteries still connected.

Is it safe to store the batteries in the charging station with the power off? This might be a stupid question but I have had unasked stupid questions bite me in the past.
Actually this is a good question. I had same question.
Currently I just put three batteries in the charging station.

You do not need to charge your batteries after flying as long as they are being stored within the levels noted in this post.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast