Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark and controller Disconnecting!! argh!!

nutsnbolts

Join
Nov 25, 2017
Ok I have flown outside my house several times. Even in the same spot but every so often when I try to fly on different days sometimes I have a hard time keeping my RC and Spark connected. It connects for 30 seconds and then disconnects and then connects again on and on. I tried to even take off with it and once in the air it would disconnect again which I can still control but then the message comes up telling me that I lost connection would I want to return to home? Then it connects again and a few seconds later disconnects again.

What is going on??? Obviously I am not using OTG. I have airplane mode on and I even forgot the home wifi.

Anything else anyone can think off?

Ok I have flown outside my house several times. Even in the same spot but every so often when I try to fly on different days sometimes I have a hard time keeping my RC and Spark connected. It connects for 30 seconds and then disconnects and then connects again on and on. I tried to even take off with it and once in the air it would disconnect again which I can still control but then the message comes up telling me that I lost connection would I want to return to home? Then it connects again and a few seconds later disconnects again.

What is going on??? Obviously I am not using OTG. I have airplane mode on and I even forgot the home wifi.

Anything else anyone can think off?

Are you in a neighborhood with close neighbors? If so, it’s probably their WiFi causing interference.

I'm new at this hobby, I've had similar disconnect issues with my iPhone, controller and Spark. I finally tried using the usb cable connection, no WiFi. No issues on my two test flights today. Flew distance of 1,800 ft. I flew in the countryside, away from any expected WiFi interference. I had the Spark fly away issue one time, lucky to get it back. I'm starting to gain confidence in the Spark using that cable.

Are you in a neighborhood with close neighbors? If so, it’s probably their WiFi causing interference.
There was tons of wifi that I saw but airplane mode should rectify that shouldn't it.

I'm new at this hobby, I've had similar disconnect issues with my iPhone, controller and Spark. I finally tried using the usb cable connection, no WiFi. No issues on my two test flights today. Flew distance of 1,800 ft. I flew in the countryside, away from any expected WiFi interference. I had the Spark fly away issue one time, lucky to get it back. I'm starting to gain confidence in the Spark using that cable.
You had telemetry with the other cable?

Airplane mode will still allow WiFi. It turns OFF data. No phone calls, texts, etc. unless through WiFi, but you'll be connected to the Sparks WiFi so no internet available.

Last edited:
I had telemetry in flight; height, distance, gps map etc... I had iPhone6 connected by usb cable, iPhone wireless turned off, keeping phone cell connection on, not in Airplane Mode, I was keeping an eye on it.

So nutsnbolts, without being able to see where you’re flying and taking it for granted you have a clear line of sight to your aircraft and are holding the rc with the antennae’s perpendicular to the Spark, do you own an OTG? IF so, give it a shot. By the sound of it though, an RTH message would only occur when the signal is lost from the aircraft, not from the remote to your device.

I had telemetry in flight; height, distance, gps map etc... I had iPhone6 connected by usb cable, iPhone wireless turned off, keeping phone cell connection on, not in Airplane Mode, I was keeping an eye on it.
Ahh ok. iPhone it should have telemetry. Thinking of Android. Lol.

So nutsnbolts, without being able to see where you’re flying and taking it for granted you have a clear line of sight to your aircraft and are holding the rc with the antennae’s perpendicular to the Spark, do you own an OTG? IF so, give it a shot. By the sound of it though, an RTH message would only occur when the signal is lost from the aircraft, not from the remote to your device.
Oh I definitely have line of sight and the antennas are definitely in the correct position. Hmm. I don't know but I do use a Mavmount. I wonder if that is toying with the connection. I'm trying to recall that the issues I don't have is when I don't use my Mavmount. Let me do some testing with and without it.

Oh I definitely have line of sight and the antennas are definitely in the correct position. Hmm. I don't know but I do use a Mavmount. I wonder if that is toying with the connection. I'm trying to recall that the issues I don't have is when I don't use my Mavmount. Let me do some testing with and without it.
Cool, yep, working for apple taught me that troubleshooting every bit of software and hardware was the first step. Keep us posted:) helps me and others.

I like the otg cable better, problem is the flight data is not visible for height, range, on otg. I have written complaint to DJI about this. Lot less disconnects and rapid heart rate when using the cable.

I like the otg cable better, problem is the flight data is not visible for height, range, on otg. I have written complaint to DJI about this. Lot less disconnects and rapid heart rate when using the cable.

This is a known issue. Unfortunately it's a problem with OTG and Android devices. You won't have telemetry. OTG with IOS works but not Android. There has been many topics about this here if you search but at the end of the day, I am trying to go "without an OTG" a chance and so far it has been a mix of good and bad. Some days it works great and some days, this topic! :)

MavMount should not be an issue.

Is this not simply because you were near other Wi-Fi sources? Or am I missing something?
So you're saying that being near wifi makes you connect and disconnect like this?

Stupid question, I also have a Mavic Pro platinum. If i take out my Mavic Pro and try to fly it on the same spot? If it is definitely interference, should the Mavic Pro Platinum also be disconnecting and connecting? I haven't tried this but if it does disconnect/connect then I can "scientifically" somewhat say, yes it's definitely interference. If it doesn't do it??? Hmmm...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bornzero2none