Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark ‘n’ birds...

homeyjay

Join
Jul 19, 2018
Talking about the feathered variety. Was out flying lil Spark today and realised that I was quite close to a bunch of tough-looking seagulls and crows who started making a lot of noise suddenly. Obviously I ran away Monty Python style but it got me thinking - just how real is bird attack? Is there anything that provokes it or is it pretty random? Is it something to worry about?
Any advice would be appreciated!

I had a seagull come out of nowhere, in the Peak District UK, and make a very close pass. It was on the video as it peeled off.

Also had a Buzzard come over to investigate once or twice.

I usually hit the throttle stick and rise sharply, that seems to put them off.

So far...:eek:

Reactions: Sparkster
I had a bunch of sparrows flying around my drone till a huge crow started to dive bomb it.
First was panic then I thought wth and started flying at the crow. Well that changed it's mind
and it quickly flew away.

Reactions: zhangws55
If you fly with the prop guards, the Spark may appear larger to a bird and might not want to miss with it.

Plus if the bird did strike, it may hit the guard and not the props, keeping the Spark in the air.

Worst case is the Spark falls from the sky with the guards on, but the guards may act as protection when it impacts the ground if it hits the guard first before the Spark.

Like an Indy car scattering in a bunch of pieces to dissipate the impact of the crash.

Might save a broken strut or two.

And remember folks, Sport mode is your friend when you need to get the heck out of there in a jiffy.

Last edited:
Reactions: homeyjay
I have the genuine prop guards, but every time I try to fly with them on, the Spark goes very jittery and doesn't stay still in the air. I keep meaning to ask a question about it and forgetting.

Good tip about using Sport Mode to get out of bird trouble Spark 317.

I usually have Barn Swallows and Mockingbirds to contend with. They are a permanent fixture in many or my sunset and Sunrise video's. And yes, Sport Mode works wonders in getting away from them, unless your sitting stationary doing a video, lol.

I took off around the Mississippi River the other day for the first time. A few birds came out to take a look and then all of a sudden I had about 50 birds swarming in. I was at about 50 feet...needless to say I quickly came down and waited for them to clear. Decided to stay 20-30 feet above the river for the rest of the flight and they seemed to leave me alone. I need to go pull the video...I had one bird nearly strike the UAV.

So I think my lesson is for a new area, spend some time going up and checking things out without going horizontal. If you see birds, time to come down.

Reactions: Katt981
I have birds every time I fly at my house. They are always interested and make me nervous every time but in over 20 flights they've never collided. I suppose I am getting more confident and paying less attention but I'm sure it can happen. I'm always prepared to go run and catch it before it hits the ground. Good luck with that right.

Reactions: Katt981
Thanks for the positive responses I was worried that I over did my post and may have stepped on Homeyjay's thread. Spark 317's advice to wear your prop guards around birds is correct. I was at 200' without guards an any contact by this large bird would have ended badly for my Spark an this awesome bird.

Reactions: Spark 317
If you fly with the prop guards, the Spark may appear larger to a bird and might not want to miss with it.

Plus if the bird did strike, it may hit the guard and not the props, keeping the Spark in the air.

Worst case is the Spark falls from the sky with the guards on, but the guards may act as protection when it impacts the ground if it hits the guard first before the Spark.

Like an Indy car scattering in a bunch of pieces to dissipate the impact of the crash.

Might save a broken strut or two.

And remember folks, Sport mode is your friend when you need to get the heck out of there in a jiffy.

I should probably use the guards but they reduce flight time and it's already short enough on the Spark so I usually don't.

Nice IndyCar reference, and a fellow Hoosier I see. Noblesville here.

I have the genuine prop guards, but every time I try to fly with them on, the Spark goes very jittery and doesn't stay still in the air. I keep meaning to ask a question about it and forgetting.

Good tip about using Sport Mode to get out of bird trouble Spark 317.
Do you attach the propguards correctly? They are marked with colors to put them on the correct legs. I didn't notice at first and just put them on. When detaching them, I found out they were color coded like the props. No idea if it could cause jittering though.

Angry Mississippi Kite buzzed my spark, then dive bombed me 2 weeks later while I was watering my back yard. I think it was nesting in one of my trees last summer.
Full Video:
View attachment 5928 View attachment 5929 View attachment 5930 View attachment 5931
Beautiful shots!
I had a common buzzard (a red tail hawk in the US) almost bump into my Mavic Pro once... it only just avoided me but looked quite interested. The good thing is that I was following it, rather than it divebombing me. Made a little movie of it which you may have seen already:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh