Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Smatree Power Bank Charger

Its back in Amazon. Im really on the fence right now, cant decide between this one and the original portable charger
They still haven't refunded my money and still nothing on eBay. Not sure why the have it back on Amazon.

I guess you need to weigh up the pros and cons,

DJI version has a smaller capacity only 3 battery recharges vs 6
DJI can store the drone as well
Smatree charges faster, which means it uses a high rate, not necessarily the best for a Lipo
Smatree is heavier 1.1kg vs DJI 645g
Smatree has been reported to catch fire, although this is not conclusively proven

On balance I'd go for the DJI version if your walking/ hiking it would weigh less, if your driving you would be using a more dedicated car charger, so I'm not sure where you would use the Smatree.
In other instances I would probably get a normal powerbank that outputs 5v/3 amps and use a Rcharlance charger
smatree weighs 750 gram and charges only 10 min faster per battery, sow i guess for the batteries themselfs its not that much less ideal.
but the rest you mentioned is spot on, more convenient and everything well protected sow no need to use gimbal protection or other things.

Reactions: pirogue1
They still haven't refunded my money and still nothing on eBay. Not sure why the have it back on Amazon.
i dont trust it either whats going on with them, no transparency what so ever. as with a lot of Chinese companies. dji at least has a name wich it doesnt want to mess up, but transparency is as bad as it gets. they claim it will be delivered within 5 workdays to the netherlands, but i'm reading from other consumers they have to wait till after newyear.
so for me its obvious there is no need to rush and make a decission, i'll just sit on the fence for now, let them fight it out.

can someone explain to me why all my posts get this message: This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors.

also i cant post anything via tapatalk. is it because i have to make a certain amount of posts first?

I bought one second hand wich still is new. Seller only used it once to test it. Still in package with item scratchless and in new condition half charged (2 red lights). Included charger, cable and bag all unused. I paid 50 euro incl. shipping. Did a quick check and charged my phone from 92% to full in about 10 min (old Samsung S2 with new 1650 mah battery). Then I testen the Spark battery for 1 min to see if it would charge. All ok. Now im charging the power bank with a micro USB cable 5v/2A and i tested if the spark battery would charge while charging the powerbank itself. All ok, although only tested for 1 min. Ill leave it now charging to 100%. Will test it next time im out flying the spark to see what this thing really worth.

So far im surprised how small it is and light. Its as big as 3 spark batteries with 5 mm space between them. Fits easily in my small bag with drone in original box and controller as well. So far so good. I van even put another small powerbank in it and charge the Smatree again. Although for the time beeing i wont test that.

Ill be back with more updates and maybe some pics

Happy to read about your updates @Iasorey. I used my new smatree quite often and it is working great :)

Since my point of view, the big difference between the Smatree and the DJI one is that the first charge 3 batteries at the same time in 40 min. The DJI charger need 40 mim for each one.
So if you are out hiking what you need is reduce the time as much as possible between flying and charging.
I bought the Smatree and very happy with it for now.

Happy to read about your updates @Iasorey. I used my new smatree quite often and it is working great :)

Took 6 hours to charge from 2 red lights to 4. The manual states its full then. Do i have to unplug it or will it stop charging itself and wont be affected?

And the bag it comes with, do you think its wise to put it in there while charging the spark batteries? Id guess it needs some fresh air or not?

TIA

I checked mine with a voltmeter, it will stop. But I see, it took a bit longer, after the four dots are on. Charging stopped around two hours later, after the fourth lamp came on.
I think it is better to give the smatree and the batteries fresh air. If I have to charge all three spark batteries, I have mine in fresh air. And I am a bit hypohondric... After the messages about burning Smatrees, I let it charge next me and check it in this 30-40mins.

Last edited:
I checked mine with a voltmeter, it will stop. But I see, it took a bit longer, after the four dots are on. Charging stopped around two hours later, after the fourth lamp came on.
I think it is better to give the smatree and tge batteries fresh air. If I have to charge all three spark batteries, I have mine in fresh air. And I am a bit hypohondric... After the messages about burning Smatrees, I let it charge next me and check it in this 30-40mins.
I think youre right. Once mine was full(4 red lights) i charged again my Samsung from 50 to 100%. Took an hour and just before it was full it went from 4 to 3 red lights. This morning i put it on the charger again and it went from 3 to 4 red lights within minutes. That seems to me impossible to be full. Ill give 3 hours more for now to see what happens.

But here is the strange thing. I mailed smatree with this question and this was their response:

Hello, thanks for contacting smatree! Please Note once it's fully charged, you have to unplug it. Best regards, Libby.

That was short lol
I dont expect any help from these amateurs. I just go with the experience of the community.

I don't know? Is it the better idea to change for the improved version. Smatrees SP90 is out of stock everywhere. I am asking them, why...

This is what they answer:

»Our item is be improved with the charging time, and there is no stock now, please be assured.

Regards,
Smatree«

So we may have a not improved version now. So, give it back and wait for the new version? Is it improved in quality too?

What will you do?

Last edited:
I don't know? Is it the better idea to change for the improved version. Smatrees SP90 is out of stock everywhere. I am asking them, why...

This is what they answer:

»Our item is be improved with the charging time, and there is no stock now, please be assured.

Regards,
Smatree«

So we may have a not improved version now. So, give it back and wait for the new version? Is it improved in quality too?

What will you do?

Its the only downside atm, charging time. I found out that storing it at 50% means youve got plug it in the night before So it can charge for 6 hours. Full spark batteries are usually around 27 degrees Celsius, so you can fly directly after charging. Empty spark battery is usually around 35 degrees and is ready to charge as well. I once hit the throtlle well before charging and the battery was around 43 degrees. I tried charging it but didnt allow to. 1 light kept blinking. After Some 5 minutes it was ready to charge again.

I have only 2 batteries and could fly almost as Often as i wanted all afternoon. Sometimes i took a battery while it was about 90% Full, but it did the trick for me and thats what counts i think.

Of course it was cold today So no clue how it handles when its warm. But So far So good. It does what it claims and it doesnt get hot, even when charging 2 batteries and a phone.

I'm using Ravpower 32000 mah power bank with 3 x 5v/2.4amp USB ports . so far I get 6 full battery charges out of this, either charging through the spark or using the Rcharlance usb charger.

The is the lightest most portable charging option I could put together for 3 batteries or 2 batteries and the controller, battery pack is 500g compared to the Smatree at 800g and the DJI at 700g

Charges the batteries in an hour using the Rcharlance, if your going to use another battery pack make sure the USB ports can output the required 2.4 amps at the port and are not the 1amp version

It's messier than the other pack based options with all the extra cables, but it has a lot of capacity about 118wh, recharge time is 12hrs using 2.4A

I believe it's a cheaper option than both the DJI and Smatree

Portable Charger RAVPower Ace Series 32000mAh 6A Output Power Bank External Battery Pack (3-Port, 2.4A Input, Triple iSmart 2.0 USB, High-density Li-polymer Battery)

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Conv...074JWQBQW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Last edited:
I'm using Ravpower 32000 mah power bank with 3 x 5v/2.4amp USB ports . I get 6 full battery charges out of this, either charging through the spark or using the Rcharlance usb charger.

The is the lightest most portable charging option I could put together for 3 batteries or 2 batteries and the controller

Charges the batteries in an hour using the Rcharlance, if your going to use another battery pack make sure the USB can output the required 2.4amps at the port

It's messier than the other pack based options with all the extra cables, but it has a lot of capacity about 118wh

I believe it's a cheaper option than both the DJI and Smatree

Portable Charger RAVPower Ace Series 32000mAh 6A Output Power Bank External Battery Pack (3-Port, 2.4A Input, Triple iSmart 2.0 USB, High-density Li-polymer Battery)
its cheaper thats true, but 5 dollar isnt a dealbreaker. And it charges as slow as the smatree wich is 12 hours. the big con is all the wires and the Rcharlance you need to use. let alone putting all of this safe in your bag and be care full not to disconnect anything when you need something else in your bag. smatree makes all this a lot easier i think, but of course i didnt try your setup, so im biased.

its cheaper thats true, but 5 dollar isnt a dealbreaker.

Your right , it's is a more cumbersome option, but I'd trust Ravpower power pack over Smatree from a safety perspective. I don't think I'd be using any of these charging options in the confines of a bag, just at the location and in the open as there is some heat generated

Not sure what the original price of the Smatree was , but the only reputable place I could find it, has it for USD 149, they have even removed it from aliexpress

New Smatree 92Wh Portable Power Station Charging Hub for DJI Spark Battery | eBay

Your right , it's is a more cumbersome option, but I'd trust Ravpower power pack over Smatree from a safety perspective. I don't think I'd be using any of these charging options in the confines of a bag, just at the location and in the open as there is some heat generated

Not sure what the original price of the Smatree was , but the only reputable place I could find it, has it for USD 149, they have even removed it from aliexpress

New Smatree 92Wh Portable Power Station Charging Hub for DJI Spark Battery | eBay
the safety concerns on the smatree i have too, so im checking it all the time while charging and i only charge it at a safe place where it cant harm much. so far it didnt produce any significant heat even when i charged 2 batteries and a phone in 1 time. if it keeps behaving like this im not too concerned about it. i just hope those bad reviews where faulty products or even better fake reviews (although i think theyre real).

they were on amazon for 65 dollar/euro, i got mine second hand for 50 euro so i went for it.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B075K2VBNN/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=ITEWQLF37KA5H&colid=WXIHI1LJ6B8O&psc=0

the safety concerns on the smatree i have too, so im checking it all the time while charging and i only charge it at a safe place where it cant harm much. so far it didnt produce any significant heat even when i charged 2 batteries and a phone in 1 time. if it keeps behaving like this im not too concerned about it. i just hope those bad reviews where faulty products or even better fake reviews (although i think theyre real).

they were on amazon for 65 dollar/euro, i got mine second hand for 50 euro so i went for it.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B075K2VBNN/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=ITEWQLF37KA5H&colid=WXIHI1LJ6B8O&psc=0

It was a great deal to get it for 50 euro's

Wow, this is the first I have heard of this. I've been using my charger for the past couple months, and I have never noticed it getting hot, or even warm for that matter. I've loved it so far, but I guess I will keep an eye on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena