Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Smatree Power Bank Charger

In the last review on Amazon.co.uk it is written, the smatree was getting hot after 40 mins of charging the smatree power bank. But on the photos it is looking like the IC/ regulation for the battery slot is overheating.

Yeah the pics are nowhere near good enough to tell for sure, but the MC34063 is a pretty common SOP-8 IC for buck-down regulation, that's very likely what they are using. The nearby cap and inductor for the buck are about the expected size for it too, but it's not really rated for 2A continuous without some thermal management (heat sink or other additional cooling, good airflow / venting at the very least - and there are no vents up there) Especially for a battery that may take 90 minutes to charge. It looks like each of the three bays has its own set of regulator circuitry. They did demonstrate a thermistor in the battery and that's absolutely necessary, but they also need to have thermistors up in the enclosed regulator area, preferably one in the middle of each of the buck circuits by the MC, to shut it down in case the regulator starts to overheat. I doubt their circuitry currently allows for shutting down an individual bank though, so there's a non-trivial amount of re-engineering to be done there.

If you run something like that over its continuous duty cycle (but still below its absolute maximum) for too long in an enclosed area with no ventilation, heat starts to build up and temperatures rise, which increases resistance, which causes more heat to be produced. "Thermal Runaway" happens when things rapidly spiral up and out of control, and the scorching in the pics looks very much like what I would expect from a TR event. Speculating further, (and we know how that can go!) it looks like they are shutting down the output of the battery when an overcurrent is detected from the battery to (collectively) all three regulators, maybe with something as simple as a polyfuse. That won't protect you if a single battery is on charge and it its regulator runs away, because by the time you're drawing enough current to trip it, you're probably already on fire. This is because it has to allow enough power through to run three regulators, and so it won't trip until at least enough power is flowing to run more than three regulators. (ie over triple its rated power) And that'll light up a single regulator nicely.

Last edited:
@Virtual1: thank you for some ideas!

@smatree: is there a temperature sensor on the PCB/near the IC's too? Do you think the IC's on every slot are cool enough over a full charging period?

My thoughts after receiving the S90.

My S90 arrived earlier this afternoon via Amazon Prime. It was half charged, connected the power supply and around 6 hours later, it was fully charged.

Took my Spark out this morning to catch a bit of the rare snowfall that we have had here overnight in Houston. I intentionally wore down my three batteries to 20%, 30% and 45% respectively. Plugged the batteries into the Smatree powerbank and less than 20 minutes later the first battery (45%) was fully charged. I got a bit distracted for a little over 30 minutes, checked the charger and all remaining batteries were fully charged. I'm fairly impressed as this would allow me to stagger and cycle out batteries and stay in the air for over an hour easily with very little downtime.

I didn't bother to check voltage since it never got any hotter than room temperature. I still might do that at some point but I was a little too busy last and this morning. I won't necessarily recommend the S90 yet due to safety concerns, but I can attest to Smatree's claims regarding speed of charging.

iFihfni
pL1424l

Last edited:
@Virtual1 the MC34063 is often used for 12V to 5V conversion... The Spark battery will be charged with 11,6V? Am I wrong?

That regulator's charge current and voltage are both set externally and can be used in a fairly wide range of applications. I've noticed though that not all manufacturers are good at reading the specs. A local group of hams here had to get together and "re-engineer" a drop-in charger for a radio that many of us had recently bought because it had "cooked off" (ruined) a few of our batteries. Turns out they had selected the wrong value of components around the MC and were over-charging the battery. (voltage +15mV... not a lot, but enough to kill a battery left on charge inside 3 months) Easy mod to do, we took care of all our local members' chargers so nobody else charged their batteries to an early grave.

I also see there's another SOP-8 nearby for each of the three banks, and that's likely a LM358 dual op-amp, commonly used to turn indicator/charge lights on/off in combination with the 34063. (there's probably a datasheet out there somewhere with this example pairing, since I've seen so many similar variations in use) I see this charger has an indicator on the front for each bay so that's probably a good guess. If the front indicator light is not a dual-color LED, only one of the amps is being used -- the other could be utilized as an over-temp shutoff, greatly reducing the expense of adding individual bay thermal controls.

I used my Smatree Power Bank now around three times. No problems with too much heat. I will keep an eye on it if charging. Very happy with the performance :)

I bought one from Amazon and it was delivered on October 2nd. I was the first one to write an Amazon review and checked back over the next few weeks to see if anyone else wrote one. I never did see the reviews about fires, which kind of concerns me now. When I check my Amazon orders and click on the link it says that page is not found.
I've charged about 15 batteries with it so far and it works great. I bought a HermitShell case that has a larger compartment and this charger fits great. I am able to charge 5 Spark batteries and my controller on one charge, so that's plenty of flying for an afternoon.
Did people have fires while charging the unit? or while charging Spark batteries? or just sitting around? Maybe I'll store it away from my drone just in case...

In the deleted reviews they wrote: The proplems came with charging the unit or charging the spark battery. I will use my one on vacation/outdoor and will have an eye on it... But for regular charging, I will use the DJ charging hub from the combo pack.

I made the choice to buy this because the three batteries recharge them only in 40 minutes and with a single charge it loads 6 packs !!! instead with original dji only load three packages and then you have to load the station is more cumbersome and costs more

Well just received an email from Smatree that the charger I ordered is out of stock and they will be refunding me my $60, soon. WTH is soon? Can't they just hit the refund button now instead of aoon? What a crappy company.

I took on aliexpress ... I think it will come in 20 days anyway I think this charger is better than original dji in 40 minutes charge 3 batteries while dji takes 2.5 hours and then it costs less

Its back in Amazon. Im really on the fence right now, cant decide between this one and the original portable charger

Last edited:
Its back in Amazon. Im really on the fence right now, cant decide between this one and the original portable charger

I guess you need to weigh up the pros and cons,

DJI version has a smaller capacity only 3 battery recharges vs 6
DJI can store the drone as well
Smatree charges faster, which means it uses a high rate, not necessarily the best for a Lipo
Smatree is heavier 800g vs DJI 645g
Smatree has been reported to catch fire, although this is not conclusively proven

On balance I'd go for the DJI version if your walking/ hiking it would weigh less, if your driving you would be using a more dedicated car charger, so I'm not sure where you would use the Smatree.
In other instances I would probably get a normal powerbank that outputs 5v/3 amps and use a Rcharlance charger

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena