Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Smatree Power Bank Charger

Jeff, it don't say that the problems with this charger are fakes, it say that some reviews are fake, precisely some reviews that give 5 [emoji93].....

Jeff, it don't say that the problems with this charger are fakes, it say that some reviews are fake, precisely some reviews that give 5 [emoji93].....

I agree. I'm just giving buyers a heads up. I personally would love an honest review as I'm interested in the charger for a couple of trips that I'm taking but with only 33% genuine reviews and 2 fires, I'm not taking my chances just yet.

I really like the re-charge speed but safety first. I guess I'll have to get the DJI portable charging station.

Reactions: Maldades
Totally agree, Jeff. Same like you. Tomorrow I'll go to the new DJI store in Madrid for the DJI portable charger.

I forgot to mention, obviously a 3 cell lipo CAN be fully charged to 12.6v with only a 5v usb input, since the spark can charge it's battery via usb power while in the drone :)

Yep, FWIW there's a thing called a "boost regulator" that can take any small voltage high current and transform it into a higher voltage, lower current delivery. The smallest USB power banks contain just a single 3.7v 18630 lipo and have to boost that to produce the 5v for the USB as well. Any of the larger power banks use many 18650's in series for 14-18v total, and have to boost to charge off USB as they normally do. (they buck down from 15v or whatever to run the 5v to your peripherals in a way that is much more efficient than the previous generation "linear regulators")

And those are some scary reviews... one claiming of have seen fire and showing a melted case, and another actual video of the magic smoke escaping. thankyouno

Last edited:
Thumbs up. I love this. Not enough companies have the balls to call out potential fakers, so thanks for this. I was on the fence, but not any more.

Reactions: smatree
I would love to see why those other units had an issue. I’m sure they will sent back, will they be evaluated as to why the were smoking?

Reactions: RaspPiGuy
yes, we will call back the defective ones which were returned to Amazon and evaluate it . We can now conclude that the defective ones are man-made. The is no reasonable cause for such problems.

“defective ones were man-made”? I’m not sure what that statement means. User error caused smoke and burn mark or the defective units were man made in your factory?

This is what smatree said:

Sorry about it,here you see the test video for your reference.

https://youtu.be/_5n2_fJCA0A

Please be assured.The plastic case of the power station is made of resist-burn PC and ABS materials.

Last edited:
I'm having problems now locating the two youtube videos I remember seeing. (have they been taken down?) Although I appreciate the video flyblue posted and how it does point out good safety features, the problems I saw demonstrated in the other videos were not addressed. These both seemed to indicate a problem with the upper charge control board, not with a battery (spark or bank) short. I've seen several small switching supplies fail over the years, with some getting hot enough to melt plastic, but none ever caught fire. One popped its fuse.... does your product have any fuses? Smart electronics are spiffy but in the end a dumb fuse is a very foolproof feature against catastrophic failure. Most (but not all) of my car chargers (for various devices) incorporate a fuse right in the cigarette lighter jack. Unfortunately, very few of my home units do. One had a high voltage diode in the mid-stage rectifier short out and that resulted in a burnt off trace and smoke emitted due to not having a fuse. Neither smart electronics that shut off power delivery to the peripheral nor thermal sensors could have prevented that from smoking the trace.

I would like to review the videos again, specifically the one showing the melted spot on the top and compare it to what electronics are positioned directly below that spot on the charge control board that's below that spot in the charger. When I looked, it wasn't clear whether the heat had come from above from the battery in slot 2 or from below inside the power bank, I would like a closer look. It does look like your case is fire-retardant which is good. I'm most interested in seeing the buck-down regulation circuit which I believe is on that upper control board, as that's usually where all of the battery bank failures I've seen have occurred, usually caused by a failure/overheat of the bucking IC or shorting of one of the associated schottky diodes.

Edit: I was looking in the wrong place for the info of course, this was Amazon reviews. So I found the video and reviewed it as well as the pictures. The one with smoke is hard to tell what's going on, but it looks slightly more likely to be the top board that is smoking, not the battery pack. (which, all things considered, is the preferred place for overheat/fire!) The other review with pictures only is more informative, showing the top case being melted in two places. The center spot is above your current sensing resistors for the middle bay, which you describe as flameproof. While the resistors may be flameproof, they can heat up the case enough to melt it, which is what looks like happened here. The melt to the right is a bit harder to identify the source on, but I believe it's the buck IC for the right bay that's a bit more to the right than the melt suggests. This is probably due to the contoured shape of the top case at this location, making the area immediately above the IC a little thicker than that to the left, where heat will rise anyway, leading to the melt appearing a little bit to the left of the chip.

It would be interesting to see what the state of the electronics in these units is. Something shorted out, and it's not necessarily the battery. What did you find when the customer returned the units?

Last edited:
@Virtual1 I'm not a technician, just read the last seconds from smatree Video on Youtube about IC and that they can't get that hot... Do you think, there is so much heat possible?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-12-07-17-33-10-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_2017-12-07-17-33-10-01.jpeg
    934.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_2017-12-07-17-33-10-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_2017-12-07-17-33-10-01.jpeg
    934.5 KB · Views: 48
WOW @smatree blocked me. I guess because I questioned their product. Not really a confidence builder. lol

I ordered the S90. Going to put it under my multimeter and usb power testing dongle to see what's really going on. Might end up making a YouTube review of the whole thing.

Reactions: Maldades
@Virtual1 I'm not a technician, just read the last seconds from smatree Video on Youtube about IC and that they can't get that hot... Do you think, there is so much heat possible?

They've clearly got some "brains" in there with the power cycling required after a short. But those generic 8 pin sop chips that they appear to be using for buck/boost aren't smart at all so it'd require a microcontroller at the least to manage that and especially the thermistor. I'm going to assume it has the mechanism of preventing some overload conditions, especially after seeing the overheat shutdown. Now it all comes down to whether or not they have the circuitry necessary to detect the overloads suggested, and whether or not they did a good job programming the MCU to identify and respond properly in those cases. So yes, it's definitely possible, but that doesn't mean they pulled it off properly. Think of things like cases where a car was designed poorly such that the airbags wouldn't deploy in certain types of collisions where they should have. The sensors, airbags, and computer were all there but something wasn't done right that could lead to a failure.

So it may not be possible even when looking over a product to determine if it's going to behave correctly in given circumstances. Often it has to come down to beta-testing, or responding to customer complaints. Sometimes whoever they have manufacturing the product just has a rare quality control issue where one worker on the line on rare occasion makes a critical mistake, and that leads to rare but catastrophic failures. Those are difficult to predict and can be difficult to identify the cause for to get the process fixed. Or it can come down to a part that has a high doa-behaves-dangerous number, and that can come down to needing better pre-packaging testing. A lot of products nowadays seem to get thrown together, turned on, and if the power light turns green they toss it in the box and ship it.

My personal take on this so far is that the two reviews we saw are genuine problems people experienced, and that the retailer is in denial that there is any possibly that there could ever be a problem. (or damage control, or a combination of the two) It's very hard to design a bulletproof product, and with something that deals with this much energy you can get some very spectacular failures. (just look at those hoverboards!) Plus we're all a lot more likely to hear about one failure than about 100 successes, because people tend to only make noise when things aren't going their way. So I try to keep all of this in mind when I read a negative review, that for every 1 positive review I read, there are probably dozens of satisfied customers that just didn't post a review. And that provides some perspective when looking at 2 negative reviews among a pool of dozens of positive reviews.

(and since you have people trying to game the system on both sides, you can't take any of it too seriously)

The Smatree link for the battery charger to Amazon no longer works. A search for it on Amazon didn't return any results. So it looks like the product is no longer being sold or is out of stock. The later would be odd to no longer list if it's out of stock.

They sell on ebay only now... I will test my new unit a few times now. Hopefully it is working for longterm.

The Smatree link for the battery charger to Amazon no longer works. A search for it on Amazon didn't return any results. So it looks like the product is no longer being sold or is out of stock. The later would be odd to no longer list if it's out of stock.

Well I suppose that's one way to deal with negative reviews...

In the last review on Amazon.co.uk it is written, the smatree was getting hot after 40 mins of charging the smatree power bank. But on the photos it is looking like the IC/ regulation for the battery slot is overheating.

Customer Review

So I don't know, if this is a fair review here? Hmmm.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-12-08-13-06-48-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_2017-12-08-13-06-48-01.jpeg
    814.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_2017-12-08-13-07-05-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_2017-12-08-13-07-05-01.jpeg
    511.2 KB · Views: 43

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members