Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Remote Control Password?

It might just be me being paranoid, but since it's identical on every single Spark, it seems that there is a possibility someone could hack into your wifi quite easily. I just changed mine for peace of mind.

Reactions: Kanehi
It might just be me being paranoid, but since it's identical on every single Spark, it seems that there is a possibility someone could hack into your wifi quite easily. I just changed mine for peace of mind.
Understood

The RC will pair with a particular Spark. The RC password will pair with the cell phone. I don't see how someone can over ride your RC and gain access to the Spark as I believe the RC and Spark has exclusive connection

Pardon my ignorance, but how is it a security risk?

A malicious Spark user flying in the same park as you might be able to connect to your controller and override your control and cause you problems. You wouldn't be happy if your spark suddenly started trying to land while flying above a patch of trees.

... or change the RTH height to its minimum value and initiate an RTH, sending you sideways into trees etc. There are many variations of grief they could cause you. Sure you might be able to cancel operations but it could be a fight to get it back home on one piece.

Come to think of it, I have two android devices, my phone and my tablet. I could try this sometime. If I do, I'll let you know what happens.

A malicious Spark user flying in the same park as you might be able to connect to your controller and override your control and cause you problems. You wouldn't be happy if your spark suddenly started trying to land while flying above a patch of trees.

... or change the RTH height to its minimum value and initiate an RTH, sending you sideways into trees etc. There are many variations of grief they could cause you. Sure you might be able to cancel operations but it could be a fight to get it back home on one piece.
Negative...try connecting 2 devices at 1 time and let me know what happens.

I tried to hijack my own Spark in flight using a tablet, and although I was able to connect to the Sparks wifi, I was unable to hijack or connect with the Go App, Litchi, or Autopliot with the other tablet.

The only way I could connect with a different device was to disconnect the device intially connected to it first.

So with this being the case, someone would need to have the ability to kick your own device off the Sparks wifi, before they can either hijack or cause you damage with your Spark.

I tried to hijack my own Spark in flight using a tablet, and although I was able to connect to the Sparks wifi, i was unable to hijack or connect with the Go App, Litchi, or Autopliot.

The only way i could connect with a different tablet was to disconnect the device intially connected to it first.

So with this being the case, someone would need to have the ability to kick your own device off the Sparks wifi, before they can either hijack or cause you damage with your Spark.
Exactly what I've been trying to say...thanks!

Exactly what I've been trying to say...thanks!

You are most welcome! I just had to put out it out there, since the fear mongering might cause unnecessary worry for someone whom doesn't have the ability to test it for themselves.

Sorry if I've made people worry- that was not my intent. I simply always change a wifi password from its set default. I guess it's become a habit now. Interesting to know that the software does not allow hijacking- saves me trying it out!

I think it just means that the hijacker would need to connect first, or force a disconnect of your device then connect. It's not something that's going to happen casually but I can see writing a program to hit any new SSIDs coming up with the default password and going from there and then going to a meetup (assuming I'm a bad person, which in reality I'm not, just noodling here).

It would probably be easier and more fun to jam common drone control frequencies and watch everybody freak out when their drones start returning to home (or not).

Negative...try connecting 2 devices at 1 time and let me know what happens.

The bigger issue I was thinking of is someone that's out just flying around for fun using only their controller, and get totally confused by a nearby troll with their smartphone running the Go 4 app. No need to disconnect your phone, you're not connected to begin with.

In my mind it's something that should be changed. There is no reason to use the standard password. If you all think everyone out there has zero malicious intentions keep living in your fantasy land, I for one have changed my SSDI and passwords for the spark and remote. Why wouldn't you want an extra level of security?

In my mind it's something that should be changed. There is no reason to use the standard password. If you all think everyone out there has zero malicious intentions keep living in your fantasy land, I for one have changed my SSDI and passwords for the spark and remote. Why wouldn't you want an extra level of security?
What are you securing? It isn't as if anyone can connect to it.

What are you securing? It isn't as if anyone can connect to it.
Average users may not be able to force a connection, but I'm sure someone with some basic coding knowledge can make a program that could hijack your spark/remote.
Again it's an extra level of safety that I think everyone should use. Back in the day everyone thought is was safe to leave there home routers on the default password, I think we all know better than that.

I think we all know better than that.
LOL...my home network is open. What I've found in life if that if someone is dead set on doing something malicious they will. No matter what precautions you make to prevent them

Figures even more lol.. All joking aside, yes it's probably overkill. But I'll take any chance I can to keep lil spark safe on it's travels.

Is it really worth it to anyone to hijack a Spark? Doesn't seem like its much of a prize or a challange for the effort to me..

However if the drone sported a Blackmagic camera, now that would make it worth hijacking to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502