Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

RC only charges when connected via OTG

Gareth

Join
Feb 13, 2018
Hi Guys,

So I have tried to connect my phone to the RC via OTG. However whenever I connect my RC just charges from my phone. I am using a Samsung S8. When I change the usb connection to file transfer or something it temporarily stops charging but then reverts back to the charging setting.

I am using a micro usb to normal usb data cable, then the normal usb to Samsung s8 connector which came with the phone.

Does the AC have to be on and connected to the RC before OTG will pick up or should you still be able to connect to the RC via the dji app with OTG even with the actual spark off?

I have the 4.2.12 version of DJI.20180418_080323.jpg20180418_080316.jpg1523987797836.jpg

Following usually works for me - put phone on Airplane mode (turning off WiFi). Turn on AC. Turn on RC. Wait for pairing. Once RC light is green, connect OTG cable to phone, then RC. Then start DJI Go.

Following usually works for me - put phone on Airplane mode (turning off WiFi). Turn on AC. Turn on RC. Wait for pairing. Once RC light is green, connect OTG cable to phone, then RC. Then start DJI Go.
Thanks, will give it a go this evening.

Plug the OTG/USB adapter into the R.C. and the other end to your device.

It's backwards in the picture, probably why it charges the romote.

Plug the OTG/USB adapter into the R.C. and the other end to your device.

It's backwards in the picture, probably why it charges the romote.
It's not backwards, it doesn't fit the other way around. The adapter came with the phone (Samsung Type C adapter into normal USB) and the other cable is micro USB. The micro USB won't fit into the Samsung and the type C (samsung adapter) won't fit into the Spark

Thats odd. I have the Samsung Galaxy S7 and that's the way it hooks up for me.

20180418_034015.jpg

I have the "Samsung" name pointing up as I plug it into the remote.

View attachment 4579

The Samsung S7 and S8 comes with different connectors. You have a micro usb into a normal usb. Where as my connector is usb type C (the new samsung charging port) into normal usb.

View attachment 4579

What white cable are you using that plugs into the adapter and your phone? Is that an OTG cable or just your normal Samsung charging cable?

Normal cable.

Hi Guys,

So I have tried to connect my phone to the RC via OTG. However whenever I connect my RC just charges from my phone. I am using a Samsung S8. When I change the usb connection to file transfer or something it temporarily stops charging but then reverts back to the charging setting.

I am using a micro usb to normal usb data cable, then the normal usb to Samsung s8 connector which came with the phone.

Does the AC have to be on and connected to the RC before OTG will pick up or should you still be able to connect to the RC via the dji app with OTG even with the actual spark off?

I have the 4.2.12 version of DJI.View attachment 4575View attachment 4576View attachment 4577
That adapter is for Samsung smart switch. Between 2 phones. That's why it won't work. I tried the same. Get a micro USB male to reg USB female and then use the phone charging cable from the female USB to the phone.

Yes, turn on Spark and RC, let them connect and when the green light on controller lights, then connect the cable to phone, then to controller then fire up app.

That adapter is for Samsung smart switch. Between 2 phones. That's why it won't work. I tried the same. Get a micro USB male to reg USB female and then use the phone charging cable from the female USB to the phone.
Thanks man, I have ordered the micro USB OTG so will update if it works.

Reactions: cabledude4619
Hi Guys,

I have the 4.2.12 version of DJI.View attachment 4575View attachment 4576View attachment 4577
No no no
that's not an otg cable. Go to a proper electronics store and and buy one that connects to a normal C-type USB cable. Like the one that came with your phone.

SAME ISSUES. TRIED THIS OPTIONS BUT THE RC STILL CHARGING MY S7. IM USING ANKER 1ft USB connected to Samsung OTG 20180416_213258.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180419-220501.jpg
    Screenshot_20180419-220501.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 19
Why do ppl struggle with otg cable? Buy the correct otg cable.

Micro-usb end (RC) need to be the OTG (Host) end...
An OTG cable is really just a modified usb cable.. one cord is cut, and in the host end the other end of same cord is soldered to another cord.

(Just explained so my mom will understand, but maybe not scientifically correct)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hddeuce03

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar