Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

PolarPro filters...worth it?

The fit and grab of these filters is shabby to say the least. There are no hooks and only spurs that fit into the gimbal case and should be retained with spring tension, and a push / snap fit for the filter over the lens. My PL filter just wasnt there anymore after the first flight. Subsequently testing the fit with the ND8 and ND16 filter confirmed how flaky the fitting was. So £50 wasted. Also read elsewhere that DJI say dont fit anything on the gimbal so it's possible / likely that using a filter could void the warranty. I should have done my homework first - hope this helps others avoid wasting their money. Purchased from Amazon December 2017.

Last edited:
Reactions: CM Ho
There are typically 2 types of filters. One uses adhesive and another with rigid plastic fasteners. The latter will have issues when u try to shoot pano. Will restrict the movement of your gimbal.

Reactions: les hawkins
The fit and grab of these filters is shabby to say the least. There are no hooks and only spurs that fit into the gimbal case and should be retained with spring tension, and a push / snap fit for the filter over the lens. My ND filter just wasnt there anymore after the first flight. Subsequently testing the fit with the ND8 and ND16 filter confirmed how flaky the fitting was. So £50 wasted. Also read elsewhere that DJI say dont fit anything on the gimbal so it's possible / likely that using a filter cold void the warranty. I should have done my homework first - hope this helps others avoid wasting their money. Purchased from Amazon December 2017.

Mine don’t stay in place either. I also get 'gimbal overload' warnings. This is the second set I had direct from Polar Pro as the first set I got were recalled.

I have only had a drone for a short time, so I am still logging ‘rookie’ flight time... that being said, I just picked up the PolarPro 3-pack of filters on a whim at Best Buy for about $54 after sales tax (the Spark-5001 set which includes Fixed Polarizer (FP), Neutral Density 8 (ND8), and Neutral Density 16 (ND16)). I have not yet had a chance to use them, but here are my initial opinions and thoughts (I will re-visit this post once I have had a chance to evaluate them and update these opinions as need be):

-I don’t see Gimbal strength/filter weight being an issue at all because these things are seriously light (the FP comes in at a whopping .645g and the ND8 and ND16 each come in at .635g!)

-The fit and “grab” of the filters is really good without being at risk of falling off in flight while still easy to remove without having to “man-handle them at all, and even if they did fall off, PolarPro says they’ll replace it right in their documentation.

-There is an available app (for FREE) from PolarPro for iOS and Android that guides you how to use your filters based on camera settings and outdoor conditions where you’re at. And it looks really slick and professional, too!

*also, just a note... I have one of those aftermarket Gimbal guards from eBay, and the filters fit underneath it just fine. I can leave the filter on and still install the guard with perfect fit!

Honestly, I’m already impressed with the set and can’t wait to go try it out, but I really don’t think it’ll be going anywhere, as I have a feeling it will perform as expected and advertised!
I have only had a drone for a short time, so I am still logging ‘rookie’ flight time... that being said, I just picked up the PolarPro 3-pack of filters on a whim at Best Buy for about $54 after sales tax (the Spark-5001 set which includes Fixed Polarizer (FP), Neutral Density 8 (ND8), and Neutral Density 16 (ND16)). I have not yet had a chance to use them, but here are my initial opinions and thoughts (I will re-visit this post once I have had a chance to evaluate them and update these opinions as need be):

-I don’t see Gimbal strength/filter weight being an issue at all because these things are seriously light (the FP comes in at a whopping .645g and the ND8 and ND16 each come in at .635g!)

-The fit and “grab” of the filters is really good without being at risk of falling off in flight while still easy to remove without having to “man-handle them at all, and even if they did fall off, PolarPro says they’ll replace it right in their documentation.

-There is an available app (for FREE) from PolarPro for iOS and Android that guides you how to use your filters based on camera settings and outdoor conditions where you’re at. And it looks really slick and professional, too!

*also, just a note... I have one of those aftermarket Gimbal guards from eBay, and the filters fit underneath it just fine. I can leave the filter on and still install the guard with perfect fit!

Honestly, I’m already impressed with the set and can’t wait to go try it out, but I really don’t think it’ll be going anywhere, as I have a feeling it will perform as expected and advertised!

Does it affect your ability to take pano shots? Many filters restrict the gimbals abiliy to rotate. I am just curious. Interesting in getting some.

Does it affect your ability to take pano shots? Many filters restrict the gimbals abiliy to rotate. I am just curious. Interesting in getting some.

I have a set of the PolarPro cinematic series filters and they will not restrict gimbal movement.

They friction fit on the lens with a "strap" that fits in the grooves of the gimbal.

You can leave them on and still use a gimbal protector when storing your Spark.

I haven't had one fall off yet under normal flying.

I haven't tried zipping around at all angles in sport mode yet to see if it flys off but it seems ok.

I have these: store.dji.com/product/polarpro-spark-filters
I picked mine up at the local Best Buy$49

I think they're great, especially mid-day when it's super bright. I don't now if I'd spend $150 for the big set but for me they are definitely worth the $50 I spent. They are super light and don't restrict the camera gimbal at all. The PL one did pop off once when I crashed my spark but it was a big hit, I just popped back on and no problems. The filters are small and you need to be gentle when you remove and install them but it's a great design and the glass is clear and quality. No the Spark isn't an Inspire 2 with a $3000 lens but these filters really did help me improve my photos and videos. If you want more control of the light and are trying to get the most out the spark's camera these are a great way to go.

Best of luck and fly safe!

There are typically 2 types of filters. One uses adhesive and another with rigid plastic fasteners. The latter will have issues when u try to shoot pano. Will restrict the movement of your gimbal.

Odd? All the Polar Pro filters I have for my Spark have very thin spring metal as the hook and fastener. It doesn't restrict its movement at all. Are there different versions of these filters floating around? Mine are just like these ones...

Our filters for the Spark use neither adhesive nor rigid plastic to hold onto the camera lens, so the filters being described here do not sound like our models. We construct our filters of aluminum and glass, and in the case of the Spark filters we use a spring tension system to hold them in place on the camera. There are two small tabs on each filter that go into the grooves at the back of the Spark camera, and a small tab at the bottom of the filter bezel to help hold it in place from the front. Images of the filters can be seen on our website, for reference.

None of our Spark filters should interfere with gimbal movement, for pano shots or otherwise. We do not anticipate trouble with the filters, but if anything does occur please reach out to our support team at [email protected] and we will be happy to help out.

- Oliver from PolarPro

Apologies....I wasn't referring to any particular brand of filters but more in general. Sorry for the confusion.

The spring tensioning system (fastener) is definitely spring metal! I don't know of any aluminum that sticks to magnets.

Much better IMO!

39622963261_098cc66abd_k.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CM Ho
Apologies....I wasn't referring to any particular brand of filters but more in general. Sorry for the confusion.

I was just worried thinking you must have gotten some of the SPARK edition filters and not the SPAR edition filters. Lol

Our filters for the Spark use neither adhesive nor rigid plastic to hold onto the camera lens, so the filters being described here do not sound like our models. We construct our filters of aluminum and glass, and in the case of the Spark filters we use a spring tension system to hold them in place on the camera. There are two small tabs on each filter that go into the grooves at the back of the Spark camera, and a small tab at the bottom of the filter bezel to help hold it in place from the front. Images of the filters can be seen on our website, for reference.

None of our Spark filters should interfere with gimbal movement, for pano shots or otherwise. We do not anticipate trouble with the filters, but if anything does occur please reach out to our support team at [email protected] and we will be happy to help out.

- Oliver from PolarPro
just for future reference your filters for the spark are fabricated from steel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis