Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG has transformed my Spark Experience....

Liamski

Join
Oct 19, 2017
Loc
South London
I know it's not officially supported but OTG connection has transformed my Spark experience. Got the Fly More Combo, and my first couple of flights were a complete mess with horrendous video lag and frequent disconnects (I use a Sony Xperia Z for it but was same with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge). Tried the OTG solution and it has been night and day for me. Burned through 2 Batteries and recharged and did the same and NOT A SINGLE DISCONNECT AND ZERO VIDEO LAG. Seems to me DJI should support this as it solved the only issue for me.....

20171026_121228.jpg

DJI do an "officlal" OTG lead to go with the Goggles and I bought one in readiness for maybe getting the Goggles at a later date but I have been using it on my Spark and Note 8 and it works very well.
I did have a OTG lead already but the USB micro connector was very slack in the controller and I had to keep pushing it back in to get it connect even though it hadn't fallen out,it was just loose enough to keep loosing connection.

I think it has a lot to do with the type of Android device you are using, devices with "stock" Android seem to have much less lag than Android devices with bloat ware such as touch wiz on Samsung devices, I can use my Google Pixel phone connected with Wifi to my RC with no problem at all....

Reactions: d2nmary
Pardon my ignorance, but wtf is a OTG cable ? I've been using computers since my trusty C64 back in 1986 but I have no idea what an OTG cable is. Never heard of it.

Do you mean a USB cable ? Do I need one with the Spark and my iPhone 6s ?

I might have to summon the energy to look it up.

Reactions: ProfPaul
Pardon my ignorance, but wtf is a OTG cable ? I've been using computers since my trusty C64 back in 1986 but I have no idea what an OTG cable is. Never heard of it.

Do you mean a USB cable ? Do I need one with the Spark and my iPhone 6s ?

I might have to summon the energy to look it up.

HA! Don't feel bad -- I first heard it here too. It basically allows cell phones and tablets to act as a host to USB peripherals, like keyboard or a mouse.

If you've been doing OK without one, you probably don't need one. :)
I just don't like that it looks a little sloppy -- what they did with the Mavic controller is much cleaner.

HA! Don't feel bad -- I first heard it here too. It basically allows cell phones and tablets to act as a host to USB peripherals, like keyboard or a mouse.

If you've been doing OK without one, you probably don't need one. :)
I just don't like that it looks a little sloppy -- what they did with the Mavic controller is much cleaner.

Thanks Buddy411,

I learn something new every day. ! :)

I haven't got my Spark yet. It should be here Monday.

Will see how it goes without this mysterious OTG cable.

Cheers

Paul.

Reactions: RustyStainless
I tried a cable with my ipad mini but found it made no difference. Works fine without it anyway, especially on 2.4ghz.
Android is a different kettle of fish, OTG is pretty much essential.

Reactions: zolive
I tried a cable with my ipad mini but found it made no difference. Works fine without it anyway, especially on 2.4ghz.

I have a iPad Mini 4 too I also have a pair of those Fling joystick controllers.

That might be a sweet setup bypassing the need for the controller.

I have a iPad Mini 4 too I also have a pair of those Fling joystick controllers.

That might be a sweet setup bypassing the need for the controller.

Worth a try although range is limited to 100m without the remote control.

Worth a try although range is limited to 100m without the remote control.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of range.

How is your Spark setup with the iPad mini and Spark's controller ?

Do you have the iPad setup on a tripod etc ?

Hmm, I hadn't thought of range.

How is your Spark setup with the iPad mini and Spark's controller ?

Do you have the iPad setup on a tripod etc ?

Works great, although best to change the wifi frequency from the default 5.8ghz to 2.4ghz for a more reliable connection.
It fits in the controllers arms but it's a very tight fit and takes a bit of doing.
I use this now instead which I made with our 3D printer .....

IMG_20171007_124807.jpg

Thanks, looks great.

My iPad Mini 4 is protected in an Otterbox case so no go for me there.

Thanks, looks great.

My iPad Mini 4 is protected in an Otterbox case so no go for me there.

I would ditch the Otterbox when flying the Spark if I were you.
The ipad mini is probably the best screen for Dji drones, other than the Dji Crystalsky.

hello, it depends what kind of connection you used. I had no dfiffences with ausb connector done only to charge the eneregy. But it exists some usb cable that allowed to be recognized by device to : launch application automatically. if you use the last one, you will be able to launch DJI GO by only connecting the cable between RC and your device, then switch off that usually required ressources on you device (like bluetooth, wifi..) This is really night and day.
Anyway, for myself, the name OTG was very new also :)

hello, it depends what kind of connection you used. I had no dfiffences with ausb connector done only to charge the eneregy. But it exists some usb cable that allowed to be recognized by device

I think what you mean is an OTG cable.
Certainly, an ordinary usb cable won't work. It has to be an OTG (or usb host) cable for connecting to the RC.
With an ios device, it seems to make very little difference, if any.
I get a good signal and no disconnects with my ipad mini, just a tiny bit of lag which is probably normal. I don't see any difference with an otg cable so I don't bother using one with the ipad.
My android phone is different. I get terrible lag, start losing the signal and get disconnects after about 100m.
Using an otg cable with the phone makes a big difference, I get a much better connection and can go much further, although it's still not quite as reliable as my ipad.

Reactions: zolive
Get the controller. Trust me on this one. :)

Totally agree. The RC has a ton of advantages over flying with a mobile device.
I started off flying with just a mobile device but it didn't take long to see it's limitations.

I have the 'Flymore' bundle on the way so I will have a controller. I was thinking though just my iPad mini and the Spark would be a very portable rig, but as mentioned, the range goes out the window.

I have the 'Flymore' bundle on the way so I will have a controller. I was thinking though just my iPad mini and the Spark would be a very portable rig, but as mentioned, the range goes out the window.

Also, the tactile nature of the controller can not be beat, your little stick on do-dad joysticks not withstanding. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh